“Not worth the money!”

Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Michigan
“Not worth the money!”
Reviewed 13 August 2007

We had never been to the Wisconsin Dells and booked this hotel through it's Website with phone help. Downloaded directions from the hotel website which used mapquest. The mapquest directions sent us to the Chula Vista Resort which was MILES away (way out in the woods) from our hotel. We ended up being lost for over 1 1/2 hours before we could find help to point us in the right direction. When we tried to tell the desk people that their website gave directions to the wrong property nobody seemed particularily interested. The room we booked was a Kid's Cabin speciality room. Kids liked the room but we found it to be rather small for the price (over $300 a night). The room was located very far away from the lobby, restaurants, waterpark (not by our request) and entailed rather long hikes to get to our room. The room had a key card system and our cards would not work. Took 4 attempts to get a working card before we could even get into our room. Had to hike down to the lobby each time and by the 4th try my very angry and crabby husband made a desk clerk accompany him back to the room. When the desk clerk couldn't get the card to work they finally called someone to come and fix it. We were there for the weekend and the air conditioning in the hotel went out. Restaurants were overpriced for so-so food. and with no air were extremely uncomfortable as was our hotel room. The temperature in the Dells that weekend was in the high 80's.
On the plus side, the waterpark was ideal for our 4 and 10 year old. Probably not exciting enough for larger kids. And even though the hotel was sold out the waterpark was not over crowded. There was a very nice outlet mall nearby.
We are seasoned travelers and spend about 60 nights a year in hotels vacationing. We often stay at hotels that charge over $300 a night but we have never been as disappointed as we were with our stay. Non- functioning air conditioning - overpriced, mediocre food, bad directions, and the key card problem make this the most aggravating, frustrating weekend that I've been charged over $650 to have. We will not be back.

• Liked — Waterpark was not overcrowded; great for smaller children.
  • Disliked — Extremely overpriced for very bad service. Air condition broke down and no apologies or compensation even though it was in the high 80's. Unacceptable in my opinion for a room that costs over $300 per night.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank pikkidi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
St Louis
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We arrived July 29th and after we checked into our Kid Cabin Suite, we explored the Lodge. The kids absolutely loved the Clock Tower Show/Story Time at 8pm every night. The Arcade was excellent and the two restaraunts were awesome. Now, the waterpark was one of the best we've ever experienced with all the rides offered. I have four kids ranging from 15 months-8 years old and every one of them had something to do in the waterpark. We did have one instance where our son lost his footing coming off a waterslide but the lifeguard crew noticed it immediately and had him out of the water in 5 seconds. Their administrative team was there within 30 seconds to make sure everything was ok and took down our info. I'd like to point out Kevin S. who was very accomodating on the Great Wolf Aquatics Staff. He made sure everything was ok with us and even gave us a private Cabana to use for the rest of the day stocked with sodas and bottled water along with a USA today paper and Plasma TV. That was very generous. The entire staff was accomodating and our kids loved everything about the lodge (Such as the Cub Club, the Wolf Walk, the Arcade, and, again, the Clock Tower Show/Story time). We were there for a week and never really left the lodge, with the exception of a boat ride on the Wisconsin River and a small shopping spree, other than that, the rest of the time was spent on the Resort campus. Thanks Great Wolf and we'll see you again in March and possibly Next Summer, too.

• Liked — The Aquatics staff and their alertness to everyone around them.
  • Disliked — The beds were a little stiff but that's the ONLY complaint, if you want to call that a complaint
7 Thank wingsofeagles
St. Louis
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Went to the Great Wolf with my year-old daughter and two sons, 12 and 13. This was our first trip to the Dells. We all just had a blast with all the slides and especially the twister. Although it was peak season, there were short lines all the time (we stayed on Tues and Weds - not sure how busy it might get on a weekend). When we lost track of the boys, mom and I had fun just going down the slides on our own. We saw some older teens having a lot of fun also. I recommend staying two nights, more only if you're going to venture out to try some of the other forms of entertainment the Dells has to offer. One downside was that you couldn't bring drinks to the pool. There were waitresses, however and they came by often.

• Liked — Water Park
  • Disliked — Some rooms are next to the highway
4 Thank tomerac
Weston, WI
Reviewed 30 July 2007

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge July 26 through July 28. I made the reservation on their web site. I wanted to just pay for it without using a credit card so I used my debit card. I have always done it this way and never had a problem in the past. When I checked my bank account they had taken the amount out TWICE. It took a while to fix this error and I did encounter one rude employee (Pat) when I called. The manager (Jody) was very pleasant and took care of the matter however, they did blame it on my credit union. We arrived for check in and our room wasn't ready so we just used the locker rooms and headed straight for the waterpark areas. As usual we loved them and the kids had a blast. I didn't feel the lifeguard coverage was as good as past years. We stay right with our kids but there are so many people that just let their kids go and use the lifeguards as a babysitting service.

At 4:00 we went and were given the keys to our room. Our room was great with a few exceptions. I went into the bathroom and there was a dirty, wet washcloth sitting on the edge of the tub and a dirty towel hanging behind the door. When I say dirty, I mean dirty. I wasn't about to touch so I called down and they said someone would take care of it. We went and ate dinner, came back to the room and it was still there! I called down again and still nobody came. Each time I called I talked to Pat and he really treated me as though I had no right to call about something like that. The next day after our room was cleaned the washcloth was removed but the dirty towel hung on the back of the bathroom door for our entire stay. I'll also mention that my husband used the coffee maker and a mug in the room. He rinsed out his mug and put it in the sink. The next morning he went to make coffee again and when he grabbed the mug there was still coffee spots on the outside of it from the day before. He grabbed another mug and there was lipstick on it so obviously the mugs aren't really taken to be washed they are just hung back on the rack for the next person to use. My son wanted to turn the couch into
a bed so we pulled that out and the blanket something brown and crusty on it... could have been chocolate but who knows??? The rest of the room did seem nice and clean and we did enjoy our stay. The kids had a blast at the waterpark and although there weren't enough lifeguards, there were a few that actually smiled and talked to the kids. One even splashed and played with my daughter when she would come down the small slides inside. It's a shame that they close the outdoor section so early. We will definitely go back and I would suggest this place to friends.

• Liked — Waterpark
  • Disliked — A few dirty things in the room and no response after calling front desk.
3 Thank Krieg5
Minnesota
Reviewed 29 July 2007

We just returned from a three night stay at The Great Wolf Lodge. This is the second year that we have stayed there, it was wonderful again. We tried a different room, The Wolf Den Suite, the kids thought it was great having their own little cabin with tv and bunk beds in it. The room was nice and cool when we arrived, smelled so fresh and clean, spacious, check in was fast, the staff was friendly and efficient, the pools were clean and so many kind, attentive lifeguards. I have never seen lifeguards walk and walk around the pools endlessly checking on everyone as much as I have here. We will go back again...We had absolutely no complaints about anything. In fact we recommend it to anyone who asks.

4 Thank Angelclouds
Iowa
Reviewed 28 July 2007

We stayed here for two nights and were really happy with the cleanliness of the entire hotel and the comfort of the beds and room's atmosphere. We were a family of 14 (ages 4 - 60) staying in the condo, and we had plenty of room, which is hard to believe. With the full kitchen, we saved $$ on no eating out as often, and were able to enjoy full nice meals, especially breakfast. The major problem we had was items (Sketcher shoes and a Weight Watchers book) were missing when it was time to pack and leave (and we even left a large tip the first morning for the cleaning lady). Unfortunately, we haven't heard back how the "investigation" went (over a week), but we're very disappointed how it was handled. We all individually travel a lot, and have never had items missing from our rooms from any other resort or hotel. If there ever is a resolution to this situation, I'll update this review. Just beware to NOT leave any valuables in your room (our safe didn't work in the rooms, either).

• Liked — The few number of people at the water park during the weekend.
  • Disliked — Items stolen from our room with minimal assistance from hotel staff.
4 Thank mzraap
Central Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2007

Our family of six just returned from a two night stay at the Great Wolf. This was our second trip there, and the first that included our two youngest.

The age range of our kids is 4 - 11. There was plenty of water activities to suit each one. I believe the hotel was at capacity, but the few lines that we found were pretty short.

The standard rooms were quite comfortable, with two queen beds, a pullout sofa, two sinks, a separate shower and toilet area, a fridge, and a balcony.

• Liked — Kids loved it