“Unfortunate Service..”

White Rose Inns
Lake Zurich, Illinois
“Unfortunate Service..”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This is going to be difficult, Considering the 20 years of business my Father-in-Law has done with the White Rose inn, and to add the 6 years of consecutive business I myself have done. This past trip to the Inn has soured my taste, and my business will no longer go to them. After having good service and clean rooms in the past, along with this visit. We were swept out of the "Terrace Hill" House by Stretch. who is one of the owners. Check out was at 11 o'clock. With my family we have a 4 month old baby, along with an 11 year old daughter. @ 11:10 Stretch was IN the house watching us as we were getting our final things together (bottles, and baby things, along with a few little odds and ends). He literally told us, ( in a very rude and almost yelling manor) that check out was at 11, it is now 11:10 and you need to leave so GET OUT... I was in awe. Never have I seen such intolerance of someones time. We had asked earlier for a later check out time, because my self and buddy were golfing in the morning, and didn't want to have to rush out. However we were also denied that. I can seriously not believe this, I will no longer recommend the White Rose Inn to anyone in my family friends or network. I know there are alot of other places to rent in the dells, and my family and myself do love coming there. I just can not believe how rudely we were treated...!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Brian P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
McHenry, IL
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I surprised my husband with a quick weekend getaway. I called White Rose Inn B & B and they were able to accommodate us in the Parlor Suite. From the moment we arrived we loved everything about it. It was clean, comfortable and romantic. The room has antique decor and I felt like we had been transported into the early 1900's. The B & B is within walking distance of the downtown Dells area and right across the street from the Riverwalk. We never moved our vehicle once we got there. We walked to everything. Since travelers are reading this to decide whether or not to book here I will say this: I was amazed at how sqeaky clean everything was here. The room, the entire inside of the White Rose House and the breakfast area. For the breakfast you eat in the basement of the White Rose House which is done up so cute. The choices on the menu were outstanding and the food was delicious. I will say I was a bit concerned about the proximity of the other rooms to ours and was worried about noise levels. This place is so sound proof I couldn't believe it. Once we closed the door to our suite we couldn't hear anything else in the house. Thank you for such a lovely weekend. We can not wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JLWelch
Two Rivers, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed for 5 nights & also had our wedding here. Everyone was so friendly & everyone went above & beyond what they needed to do. We stayed in The Carriage house in the Stable room. It was lovely & cozy. It was a good combo of beauty, comfort & convenience. We got married in the Secret Garden & it was very nice. Everything went very well. Christine, our wedding coordinator did a very good job. I would not have changed a thing. Breakfast was good, it is vegetarian, but we knew that ahead of time. It says that on their website. I only tried 4 differant entrees but they were very good, especially the french toast & the croissants were to die for. You get free ice to fill your coolers or whatever with. We will definetly be coming back again & again. We loved this place. There is no fitness center so that is why I rated that only a 1, We weren't there for fitness any way. It did not matter to us that there was no fitness room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cindy L
Round Lake, Illinois
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This is one of our favorite places. Great location to downtown Dells walking distance. Several times have stayed in the motel. Kind of a mom & pop type place. That is why we enjoy it so much. Stay here in Sept for Who Za Wa Days. Festival is a great time. All of the people working here are very nice. From checking in to our last day. Coffee is out every morning and sometimes muffins. We just love the charm.............

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tpkay1991
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I pains me to have to write this review because the people here are so nice, but as someone who uses tripadvisor before making any hotel bookings, I have to share my experience as they happened even if it may adversely affect their business.

After reading the glowing reviews on tripadvisor, I booked the English Rose Room in the Terrace Hill house at the White Rose Inns. We stayed here for just one night on July 27, 2012. We had informed the Inn that we would be arriving late around 8pm since we were just passing through as this was not our final destination. Check-in was a very easy and pleasant experience. We were told that although the front desk would be closed after 10pm, there were managers who stayed on site if we needed anything. All seemed to be going smoothly.

Unfortunately, after we came back from a late dinner and got under the covers to read before going to bed, I kept feeling slight little irritations on my upper arm near my left shoulder. We had walked by the river, so I thought I had gotten some mosquito bites. After the third time I felt this sensation, I looked to my left and saw that between me and my husband, there on the sheets were 2-3 little brown bugs! I leapt from the bed and shook about frantically! My husband saw them too and caught one in a kleenex.

I promptly called one of the manager's phone numbers that we had received because it was well after 11pm by this point. I explained as calmly as I could that there were bugs in the bed, that they had bitten me and that we needed a new room because I would not stay in this one. A lady responded that she would move us right away and for us to come to the office after gathering our things. Luckily, we had only unpacked our toiletries and none of our clothing.

We arrived at the main office and I was met by an Australian woman, who introduced herself as one of the managers. She asked me to describe the bugs, which I did. She then called her husband, the other manager, to join her. When he came down from their apartment above the office, she asked him to go to our room to inspect. All the while, she asked us to remain with her in the office. In retrospect, I am not sure why she kept us there rather than showing us immediately to our new rooms - it was so late. However, I was also curious as to whether the husband would be able to locate the bugs. During the time the husband was gone, she talked to us and kept the mood light and promised to move us to one of the luxury rooms in a different B&B house on the grounds. This is probably the ONLY reason I did not get hysterical. Her calm demeanor and willingness to hear our concerns alleviated some of my anxiety. She also asked to see my arm where the bites were, which I did and she confirmed the area was red. She asked my husband if he got any bites, to which he said no. (However, welts did form later on his neck the next day, which made sense since he was laying next to my arm. I learned later that people get different reactions. See photo of my husband's bites.)

After 10 minutes, her husband returned to the office with a small plastic bag with several of the brown bugs in it. I asked her if they were bed bugs because this was my first experience. She said they have never had bed bugs before at the property so she didn't know either. The husband never said one word to us, not even a hello or sorry, which we thought was strange.

She then provided us new keys to the new room. She also asked us not to talk about the incident with any of the other guests. Our new room was quite nice and double the size; the upgrade was much appreciated. After a thorough review of the bed proved bug free, we jumped in the shower before getting in to bed. Although we had checked the bed, I kept thinking about the bugs that had been on me, so it took me forever to fall asleep.

The next morning during check-out, the Australian woman heard us and asked us to step up to her office. She shut the door and informed us that she had read all about bed bugs and that if were concerned, she should leave our luggage in our car in the heat as anything bed bugs left in 120 temp would die. Although this was meant to comfort us, it did not. It only confirmed we had experienced bed bugs. She again thanked us for being discreet, which we did do so as not to alarm any of the current guests who seemed to be enjoying their stay. Why ruin their vacation too.

As I said, it pains me to document my experience here because the people were cooperative and understanding, and I am sure they weren't the ones who brought the bed bugs, but since tripadvisor is my go-to place for honest traveler feedback, I felt I had to document the facts here so people can make up their own minds about staying at The White Rose Inns.

Unfortunately, I will not be returning nor can I recommend this B&B/motel.

Room Tip: Inspect bed and room for bed bugs before bringing in luggage and getting into bed.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank l0tiongirl
whiteroseinns, Manager at White Rose Inns, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Our first experience of a bed bug infection was traumatic for both the guests involved and ourselves, and I would like to thank the authors of this review for their discretion and courtesy. By not sharing their distress with our other guests at the time, they allowed them to have the wonderful and relaxing stay that they have come to expect when they stay here.

As soon as possible after the guests involved left we had that room inspected by the pest control agent from Orkin who does regular inspections and pest control treatments for our Inns. He came within 24 hrs, treated the room and the hallway leading to it, and encased the mattress and box springs. Because of the small size of the infestation he was sure that the bugs had been recent arrivals. We also inspected the other bedrooms in the house carefully and found no trace of bedbugs.

We will continue to do everything possible to make our inns welcoming, safe and comfortable for our guests.

Manager,
The White Rose Inns
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Wonderful place! The Inn is located two blocks off hyper-busy Broadway, a secluded, shaded treasure overlooking the lake above the dam. We stayed in the B&B Sherman House, which is liked a museum, filled with period furnishings, but with very modern and plush rooms, including a whirlpool. Breakfast was on a shaded patio with a wide range of delicious choices. Adjacent was the swimming pool, quiet big and very swimmable. The staff was very friendly, informative and always present. Altogether, the best B&B experience we've ever had.

Room Tip: "Dell View" and "Newport" rooms in Sherman House have best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank jemange
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed at the White Rose Inn for 5 days and we would definitely stay there again. The people (office personnel and housekeeping personnel) were VERY helpful and dedicated to making our stay pleasant. Customer service was definitely a priority for them. The hotel was clean and the surroundings were very pleasant. Also, a plus was the fact it was within walking distance of most attractions.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple