“Get what you pay for”

Ranked #17 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Itasca, Illinois
“Get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

Well for the price, I wasn't expecting much. The downstairs looks nice and remodeled. The breakfast area was nice and the food was good for a continental breakfast. Pool area was ok, not crowded at all (only person in there on a late Sunday afternoon). The people at the front desk were very friendly when we checked in, BUT this is where we had some issues... we got into the room and it stunk of mildew...we asked to change rooms and they said they were sold out for the night. We had to hang a car air freshener in the room to mask the smell, which was never addressed. The rooms are a bit dated, but the beds were comfortable, but likely we spotted no bed bugs. The bathrooms are small, but fairly clean minus the stench of mildew. The hallways stink of smoke, especially throughout the upstairs. Rooms seem to have paper thin walls as well. Not sure we would stay here again. May be worth the extra money to stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Continental breakfast, hotel location for our interests
  • Disliked — Smell of the room, smoke in the hallways, thin walls
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
ScalzoHospitality, Owner at Ramada Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, 14 October 2009
Dear eagledemps,
I thank you for your honest opinion of our hotel and appreciate many of the kudos you extended us.

In response to your comments regarding our bathrooms, I agreed with your assessment about the bathrooms. We inspected the one you commented on and found some plumbing issues.

Your comments were helpful in deciding to renovate all 71 bathrooms last winter, January through March of 2009. We renovated fourteen rooms a week until we were finished. I had the old tubs replaced as well as granite countertops installed and added larger mirrors. We really modernized the bathrooms.

Additionally, as of the January 1st , 2009 the Ramada in Wisconsin Dells became entirely smoke free :)

So please give us another chance to win your business. I can guaranty freshly renovated bathrooms, smoke free rooms and hallways, and an even better hot waffle breakfast.

Warm regards,
Scalzo Hospitality, Inc.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

Everything was fine, until we received a call this morning from 3 ladies that had stayed in the room the night before. They had called the management up to the room in the middle of the night because of bedbugs and been transferred to another room. The person on duty had gone up to the room and seen the situation before moving them.

We were assigned the exact same room the very next day (Room 210). After receiving the call, we pulled back the sheets all the way and sure enough... bugs (dead and alive) and our BLOOD on the sheets and pillowcases in AT LEAST 20 places. It was so disgusting. (I'll spare you the pictures.)

I'm writing this 10 itchy hours after checking out. No offer to refund our room, no apology, and no real concern shown... obviously this is something they are used to hearing.

I've since contacted the corporate customer service and opened a case, written this review, received NO phone call from the asst. general manager, and am contacting the Wisconsin Department of Health Services tomorrow morning to file a complaint.

I also plan to call the room every night to let people know.

I know this may not seem like a big deal, but they seem to ignore that if we ended up bringing this home, it could cost us serious money (that we don't have to spare right now) in extermination and bedding costs. It's a huge deal. For crying out loud, we had to strip down when we walked in the door, and have had the washer running on it's longest sanitary cycle for the last 2.5 hours. Our luggage is outside, and I can't get the image of those bugs out of my head. We even saw a large adult one -- SO nasty. I've had to search websites for what to do if you've been exposed, and it stinks. Seriously. All this because someone was too lazy and disgusting to not assign people to an INFESTED room.

I'm furious, and have nothing to say, but don't stay there. How one night has turned into such a freaking disgusting experience, I don't know.

• Liked — Gosh, so many great things... oh wait... just bed bugs.
  • Disliked — Bed bugs -- horrible management
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hellokitty3423
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

We stayed at the Ramada on our way back from Chicago to the Twin Cities. Orbitz had the property listed as 4 stars, and since I was in a hurry and the price seemed fair I booked the room without doing and further research.

While the hotel met my main criteria - it had a pool for my kids to swim in, there wasn't much else to be excited about. The rooms need a major facelift and were less than 100% clean. We were only staying for a night, so it was tolerable. Anything longer than that would have been more difficult.

When we checked in, I enquired about paying for an ugraded room instead of the two bed queen we had reserved. While a room was open, it hadn't been cleaned and the manager was unwilling to find someone to clean it. Granted I couldn't be overly upset since I hadn't reserved the room, but it didn't seem to be an unreasonable request when I observed several employees hanging around the business center surfing the web.

As for positives, there is a free continental breakfast and free web acess in the business center.

• Liked — The business center
  • Disliked — Rooms need a major facelift
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Milwaukee Area, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn when I'm in the Dells, but they were way out of my price range for this trip. Since Ramada was offering a 20% discount for booking 3 nights or more and paying in advance, I figured I would give them a try.

I booked a King room, and I was pleased with that. I had the view of a huge air duct outside of my window, but I'm not in the Dells to look out a hotel room window. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel. The bathroom was extra spacious, since I think this may have been a handicapped accessible room at one time. The cable television offered was the best in the Dells... there had to be 50+ channels to choose from.

Since I was in the Dells for an extra day, I decided to stay one more night. Unfortunately, my room was booked the next night and I had to move to a double queen room. The room was spacious, but the bathroom was very small with the sink outside of the bathroom. I guess that's okay if you have multiple people fighting over the shower and the sink.

The property is older, but seems well maintained for its age. There is a small pool, but don't expect a "waterpark." There's a complimentary continental breakfast every morning including fresh waffles you make yourself.

Every staff member I encountered was very friendly and accomodating. To get a decent room under $100 a night during the Dells busy season was very good. I would stay here again, since if I want a waterpark, I'll go to Noah's Ark.

• Liked — Great price, good location, quiet, excellent staff
  • Disliked — Rooms could have been a little cleaner
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Racine, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

We stayed at the Ramada for one night, on August 6, 2008. We were looking for a nice place, without the extra cost of the glitz and glamour of the waterpark hotels. Overall, the hotel was ok, with a few exceptions:

The Good:
Breakfast in the morning was good. They had two waffle makers, bagels, yogurt, juice, etc. The breakfast area was decent sized and very clean.
The room was clean. The A/C worked well.
There was free internet and 3 computers set up near the front desk for guests to hop on free of charge.

The Bad:
Our TV remote did not work. It was not programmed properly to work with our tv. We called the front desk and asked them to look into it around 3:30 PM. We then went swimming, came back, and around 6:00 called again. They apologized and said they would send someone ASAP. We went to dinner and came back only to find that the remote still did not work. We asked once again for them to come look at it while we went downtown. We came back around 10:00 to a remote that STILL did not work. Finally, I went to the front desk to see what the problem was and they simply said "We tried, but couldn't get it to work. We're really sorry." To me, that is not an acceptable response to the situation. Yes, the remote is a small convenience, but it sure is annoying when it doesn't work. Bring in a different tv. Get a different remote. Give us a discount, or something! Nope, simply a "I'm sorry".

Other than that, the bathroom smelled funny, like some kind of strange cleaning chemicals, and was quite small. Beds were stiff, but sleepable.

Basically, I would have been fine with the hotel except for the lack of problem-solving skills shown related to the tv remote.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Appleton, WI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

We visited this hotel with two small children, as we wanted a place for them to swim, but they were too young for the larger waterpark hotels. The rooms were dirty and our pants, socks, and feet were black from just a short time of walking around the room and/or sitting on the floor with the kids. The room also had a terrible odor of smoke and/or urine. The WORST part was waking up covered in small bug bites, with about 40+ on each leg. I informed staff (who thanked me), but offered nothing for compensation. Watch out for the bed bugs! Next time we'll stay at the water park!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty, bed bugs
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank JLCBRC
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2008

My Son & I stayed at the Ramada Inn in the Wisconsin Dells April 5 - 6.
We had a very nice stay.
They have remodeled the motel.
The ft. desk clerks were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. Our room was not ready yet as we arrived early so after doing a pre check-in we stayed in the lobby. They chatted with us and made us feel right at home. The gal at the ft. desk called housekeeping and told them she had guests who arrived early and asked if they could do our room next so we could get settled in. Within 10 minutes housekeeping called and our room was ready!
They were able to offer suggestions for places to eat dinner.
The room was clean, and all brand new bedspreads, sheets, and towels.
The breakast in the morning was very nice. They had 2 of the belgium waffle makers so the lines were not as long as most places that offer this. Plus they also had freshly made scrambled eggs! Only wish they would have had offered butter along with the margarine. 4 types of juices! Apple, Orange, Cranberry and Peach! And none were watery!
They kept the food area nice and clean! Was very impressed.
Each time we left and came back to the motel we were greeted by name! How they can remember all the guests names was beyond me but they did. And they asked if there was anything we needed or if they could help us with anything.
We were quite impressed! We will definately be coming back to stay here again.

• Liked — cleanlyness, friendly staff, easy on off to the highway,
  • Disliked — wish they would include butter for the breakfast, after all this is in the dairy state! LOL
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family