“We Knew What To Expect So We Had A Good Time!”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We have stayed at Wilderness one other time. We chose to come here agin because we could get into the waterpark at 11 am unlike other Dells resorts where you have to wait until 1 to get in. We knew what to expect. Dirty rooms, loud hallways and loud neighbors all hours of the night, and dirty waterpark areas. I have to admit that the waterpark was cleaner than 2 years ago. We did check our beds for bed bugs and did not find any-which was good! If you stay here make sure to pack food and drinks because everything here is way overpriced. Also, if you are waiting for your room to be ready make sure you check in with the front desk rather than wait for the call or text they are supposed to send you. We were at the waterpark for 3 hours and finally got fed up with waiting and went to the front desk and, what do you know, our room was ready-why didn't they call us!!! If you know what to expect you will enjoy your stay like we did.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,011)

Reviewed 20 March 2011

We've stayed here our last three spring breaks and have had a blast each time. 12 of us stayed in a 3 bedroom condo. It was a little disapointing not getting the same one we've had the previous two years but the location was only about 70 yards different.

PROS - spacious condo, fireplaces, shuttle service, grills, lifeguard attention

CONS - they shorted us one band at check in so I had to wait in line again for over 10 minutes. All pools were extremely crowded but what do you expect with spring break. hot tubs with parents with under age 6 kids lying to lifeguards about kids ages. TVs were outdated.

Reviewed 17 March 2011

Nice rooms and nice water parks. However the place is VERY overcrowded. The halls are narrow, and there is always a constant stream of people moving both ways in them. The waterparks are nice, but if you don't get there within 45 minutes of them opening, you have no chance of getting a table or chairs. Also, the wave pool is very popular, but it is also quite dangerous for kids. The pool is very crouded and they allow tubes in it which are constantly smashing into each other and running over smaller kids. It is only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt there.

If you heed no other advice, do not accept a room on the second floor. There is constant traffic at most hours of the day and night. This is no exaggeration.

Overall, I think there are better values out there for your vacation dollars. Sometimes bigger is not better.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Upon arriving to the Wilderness hotel, we found the check in line to move smoothly and efficiently, we were given a map of the resort and told which entrance to use. The resort is sprawling and the water parks are scattered and connected by a second floor “skywalk”. The skywalk seems to go on forever, so if you do not want to walk the distance, you can call the shuttle service and they will pick you up and drop you off at the right entrance. We visited in the middle of the week, so that we could avoid the crowds, yet somehow it was still very crowded and noisy. The rooms are not sound proof in the least, and you could hear guest running up and down the halls into the late evening. One thing that was very noticeable was the amount of people going down the halls in wet bathing suits. It seems that after a while the wear and tear from this repetitive activity will be showing significantly. The water parks themselves were enjoyable if you went at the right time of the day. The only thing that was alarming is the staff all looked about 16, from lifeguards to management, it left you wondering if there were any “grown ups” in the Wilderness to handle the needs of the guests. The hotel offers a haunted hotel experience, mini golf, and laser tag, which we were not told about upon check out. The restaurant food was far overpriced, yet there are restaurants all around the resort so there is variety if you want to venture out. As far as the entire experience goes, it did not offer a reasonable balance between fun and relaxation and we will chose a smaller, more personalized resort in the future.

Reviewed 14 March 2011

we go every year for the last 6 years and the last time we went about the middle of feburary it was the worst visit ever when we checked in the girl was very rude they put us next to one of the water parks that was closed that we didnt know about our micowave went out and took them a day to get us other one the first night my kids wanted to sleep on the pull out couch thre was blood stains on the matterss and i have picture on my phone still from it they didint change it till the next night they never cleaned my room the whole time i was there for 4 days i had to go get towles at the front desk to have towles so we can take showers and they when we checked out was the same lady that checked us in was still rude and didnt care and the manger when i told her and showed her the pictures didnt care either and just went on and checked us out who ever goes make sure check your bed matteress and make sure u get your rooms clean.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank allanandheidi
Reviewed 10 March 2011

This is the email I sent to the Wilderness a couple weeks ago. It is very detailed and long, but describes what happened. I decided to post here because they never responded with an apology.
While writing this to you I think about how it's probably just a waste of my time. I already addressed my complaint to Emily who in my opinion seemed like she didn't care at all about my experience. She told me she was the highest rank resort manager. If this is true then I really think the Wilderness resort will continue to lose customers because nobody wants to be treated like their business doesn't matter when a problem occurs. Somebody in her position should have been more understanding to my complaint and tried to make things right without me having to ask. Just in case this is read by someone who does care about the guest at the Wilderness i will continue to tell you about my problem while staying at the resort. I arrived at the Wilderness around 11AM on Tuesday morning. I was given a free room upgrade when i mentioned I was celebrating my anniversary. (Thank You!) I enjoyed the day with my pregnant wife and my 3 1/2 yr. old daughter. That night my wife and I talked about how much fun we had and how much fun it was to watch our daughter explore a waterpark for the first time. At around 10:30 I fell asleep in my queen bed and my wife and daughter tried to go to sleep in the other queen bed. Around 12:30AM my pregnant wife woke me up and told me she couldn't fall asleep. She said the bed felt like it was leaning down on one side and it made her body want to lean over on her 7 month old pregnant belly. I said to her lets switch beds and that’s what we did. I laid down on the bed she was on and thought what is she talking about. Within a few minutes after my body relaxed and I was trying to fall asleep I noticed the bed was leaning over and it was very uncomfortable trying to lay on an unleveled bed. I tried to fall asleep for about an hour until I called guest services (1:30AM). I believe I spoke to John but not sure I told him I wanted to make him aware of my situation and would be making a complaint about it to management in the morning. He said call back at 8:00am and management would be available. He said he didn’t know what availability would be for another room right now and I told him I wouldn’t want to wake up my 3 ½ yr. old daughter and 7 month pregnant wife at 1:30 in the morning after a long day to pack up the entire room and move to another. I told him I would tough it out and try to stuff some pillows on the side I was leaning toward. I also told him this wasn’t a complaint of personal preference I tried to figure out why the bed was leaning and noticed the frame looked bent and lower to the ground. It was obvious to me the bed frame was bent and needs to be replaced or fixed so nobody else goes through what my wife and I went through. He did apologize for the problem I was having and seemed really understanding. The whole night I tossed and turned and didn’t sleep well at all. I called management and spoke to Ashley. She offered me free breakfast to make up for the situation I was put in. I declined and said after a night of no sleep because of a broken bed I had no control over I felt a free breakfast would not be sufficient for the discomfort I was put threw. She then put me on hold and came back with $25 off my bill. I declined again and said I felt the situation I was put in required something above and beyond the normal hard bed or dirty room complaint. She again put me on hold and came back with a $50 dollar off my bill offer. I then asked to speak to upper management. Emily A. got on the phone with what I considered an attitude. She seemed like she was in a hurry to get me off the phone. She never apologized once. She told me she will not offer anything else because she would have never offered the $50 dollars off and free breakfast if she would have spoken to me first. She said I could have moved to another room or they could’ve sent in a different bed at 1:30 in the morning. I explained to her I would never wake up my pregnant wife and 3 ½ yr. old daughter at 1:30 in the morning to get dressed and wait for a stranger to enter the room with another bed and take the broken one out, or pack up all of our belongings to move to another room. I know if I would have chosen one of those options my family and I would have been wide awake for at least a couple hours and then it would have been around 3:30 in the morning. With such a short stay the next day would have been a challenge for my pregnant wife and daughter. I thought it would be best for my family to endure the discomfort of hardly any sleep so they could enjoy the next day at the resort. I’m glad I choose that option for my family because my wife and daughter did enjoy themselves the next day as for me I was tired beyond belief. I explained all this to Emily and she continued to tell me with an attitude like she didn’t care and like she was in a hurry that she thought the offer was more than fair and I needed to make a decision about if I wanted to take the offer. I accepted the offer of $50 off and a free breakfast. I hate to complain about anything. If I do complain it’s because something is wrong and the issue needs to be made right. The only person who apologized was John? At 1:30AM. This was not a complaint of my doing the bed was broken and I didn’t have a good night’s sleep. It’s not my fault the bed was broken. Why should I receive an attitude or have to pay for a room with a broken bed. I think if management would have understood my frustration and showed remorse for what I was put though and offered me what I settled for I would have accepted without feeling like they were getting over on me. I think they should have went above and beyond and not only apologized but gave me the room at no cost. That to me would have shown me that they care about me and my experience at the Wilderness and they want to have my business in the future. I likely choose another resort when I stay in the dells mostly because of how I was treated when a problem presented itself. I understand problems happen but think sometimes situations like mine should be treated different because it wasn’t something that was easily fixable and it affected the last half of my stay. The working staff of the water parks and front desk were awesome. Those people make the Wilderness what it is and it’s amazing to me that management would be completely the opposite. Thank you for reading my complaint.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We have been to Wisconsin Dells many times, primarily to water parks in the area. In the past we have mainly visited the Great Wolf Lodge, but have stayed at Treasure Island (Now Mt. Olympus), and the Polynesian. This is our first time at Wilderness Resort. We currently have kids with ages ranging from 9 to 13.

This review compares the Great Wolf to the Wilderness as they are probably the most similar. Mt Olympus and Polynesian indoor water parks just do not compare and that was the primary reason we visit these parks. I will give a thumbs up to the Polynesian for families with small children looking for value, however.

In comparison to the Great Wolf Lodge the water parks areas are very spread out, and depending on where your room is, it can be quite an effort to get to any of them. In addition the walking path between the parks goes right through the second floor of the hotel. Not a very good design, but some might find it convenient. The water rides at the parks are very good and up to par with the Great Wolf. Wilderness does have more family raft rides, however. They also do have conveyors for the larger rafts, which is a plus. They do require you to exchange cards for towels. At first we thought this was restrictive, but it did control the amount clutter due to the abundance of towels that would be normally left in the water park.

We had a standard room and it was adequate, but not great. Beds were just ok and the pillows were not good, unless you like flat and hard. Large fridge was nice and it did keep our small bag of ice frozen. Overall the rooms at Great Wolf and Wilderness are very similar, but I give the Great Wolf a marginal plus just because they seem to be slightly better taken care of. Both will provide for a good stay.

There are a few more things to do (and spend money) overall at the Wilderness for older kids with a huge arcade, lazer tag, 3-D mini golf and a few more restaurants. Great Wolf does have similar things, just not as many. Knuckleheads indoor theme park and bowling is across the parking lot, however. The cost to eat at the Wilderness and Great Wolf are about the same with a family of 5 costing around $45 per meal. Not cheap, but not insane. We make use of the fridge to stash sandwiches, snacks, fruit and drinks to keep the costs down. Both discourage bringing food into the water park areas, but it seems to be lightly enforced as we had no problem bringing in bottles of water and snacks.

Overall service was good and up to par with the Great Wolf. We did find the life guards to be generally very good, communicative and sometimes even entertaining. Most seemed to enjoy their job. This is very minor and somewhat humorous, but for some reason it seemed in room wash cloths were rare and towels were not. At one point they took our extra wash cloths we managed to acquire, away.

Be aware of the resort fee at the Wilderness. I personally believe that these unnecessary fees are bad practice that only lead to misunderstanding that will many times damper a great experience. Management should consider changing this policy. Just be sure to add $10 a day to any rate you see when evaluating your purchase. When I asked about it, it was obvious they had the answer rehearsed from the many others that questioned them. (I got the feeling I was pretty much paying for air as the explanation made little sense.) Great Wolf did not partake in this somewhat misleading policy as of the last time we visited a year ago.

Overall the Wilderness is good stay.

1  Thank travelallot66