“Great Get Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago IL
“Great Get Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

My family and I stayed in a 2-bedroom villa that slept 9. My husband, three boy tweens, and I were comfortable and had plenty of room in the villa. It felt like we were at home and could relax and cook most of our meals. We were happy to have the space and privacy and did not want to compromise by staying in the hotel. The villa was super clean! FYI, if you plan to tip the housekeeping do it each morning. The cleaning staff comes in, exchanges out your old towels for new ones, and can give you kitchen cleaning tools as well. If you tip at the end, on of your stay the "strippers" (the people who strip down your linens) get the tip and they don't share with the housekeeping staff. Our housekeeping service came while we were still in the villa and she gave us more bath and kitchen towels along with dishwasher detergent. We tipped our house keeping lady and she was thrilled due to the fact this was the first tip she has ever received while being employed at the Wilderness. She gave us great service not because of the expectation of a tip but because she wanted to give good service. This was admirable and was noted in our stay.

The water parks were great and were enjoyed by the entire family. We did splurge on a cabana and it was well worth it. The cabana was air-conditioned and came with a flat screen, seating for 8, mini fridge, beach towels and a hostess. Seating was difficult to come by at the parks unless you got there super early and staked out a spot. It was nice to be able to lounge in style! I was even able to do some work on my laptop and participate on conference calls without being disturbed.
Pros: Lots of space in Villa and cabana was worth it

Cons: Bed was uncomfortable in Master Suite and TV’s were old and couldn't hook up a gaming system

We checked in on Wed and out on Friday during Easter Weekend. Our stay was busy with other spring breakers but it seemed it was more congested as Easter weekend neared. We were glad we went during week! Our family enjoyed the trip and will come back in the summer when more attractions are open.

Room Tip: Book during week weekends are more expensive.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

Walls are paper thin. Because all foot traffic to waterparks is on the 2nd floor, it sounds like a herd of cattle literally all day until the pools close and then starts up at 8 am again. I asked to be moved but place was sold out. Feel like I could've saved a few bucks staying somewhere less crowded and paid for waterpark separately and slept in on my vacation!!!

• Stayed April 2011
Wonder Lake, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

Ok so besides the extremely annoying bathroom fan sound that it like scratching a chalkboard, most things in our room have been fine, But there were 2 security extremes overlooked.

1. Wednesday 4/20, after going to one of the water parks, we come back to our room to find that housekeeping had forgotten to lock the door, and had left the security loop in the wrong position, and we were able to just push open our door.

2. Today we return from wandering to different attractions, and our room keys don’t open the door, my wife explained this to the girl at the desk, and she seemed more accusatory than apologetic, not one apology for the mistake, meanwhile while I was waiting in the Hallway 4 buildings and 2 water parks away with my 3 yr old boy, (a chore in itself) a nice Housekeeping employee did let me into the room.

On a fun note, while getting new key cards, my wife asked if they do not work what number I call, she received the response of, "0" dial "0". My wife's response was "If I’m still locked out of my room what am I going to dial 0 on, my cell phone?"

That experience mirrored an inquiry I had, I had asked the girl behind the counter how to utilize the shuttle bus to get back to our room, so we did not have to walk, and the only response I received was "you have to go to entrance 3 and dial 0", expecting more of a reply such as entrance 3 is down this corridor I asked again. "Ok say I wanted to use the shuttle bus say, right now, how would I do that?" with no other direction, I received, go to entrance 3 pick up the phone and dial "0", I replied with a non sarcastic "Thanks Anyways". This experience proves you get what you pay for.

Thoughts anyone?

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Dave60097
Grafton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

We stayed in the Condos and had a fantastic time! The condo was spacious and clean. The stocked kitchen was great because we were able to cook all of our meals in the condo and save money! The water park was a good time, but look out for the naughty tweens in the lazy river. We will definitely make a return trip!!

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Caitlin_Grafton
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

We had such a great stay at the Wilderness. We stayed in a cabin that was listed to hold 14 and held all of our 14 guests comfortably. The accomodations in the room were wonderful...great kitchen space and it had everything we needed to cook our meals. The waterparks were a blast!!! It was nice to have that "summer" getaway in the middle of winter weather. The only thing I would suggest is for the adults to bring their own towels to the waterpark...the towels were definitely kid sized. All in all our stay was amazing and we will definitely be going back again and again!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jmaz82
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

I just returned from my first visit to the Wilderness Resort. I went with a dozen friends for a late winter/early spring getaway, and we had a great time! The 14 person cabin was huge with plenty of room to sleep, a fully stocked kitchen (dishwasher, range, refrigerator, utensils and pots and pans), and a fireplace in the great room to relax at night. The shuttle service allowed us to easily get around the resort and use all of the water parks despite the April snow in Wisconsin!

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

I just got back from a weekend with friends and we stayed in a condo at The Wilderness. I was blown away with how beautiful and HUGE the condo was- it felt like I was walking into a gorgeous, log cabin.

The kitchen was fully stocked- so we brought all of our own food and were able to cook great meals.

The sleeping arrangements were also awesome. The condo sleeps 14, we only had 11, but I felt like we could have fit way more people with all the room we had.

It was also awesome that we were right by one of the THREE indoor waterparks (truth be told, the group I was with are all big kids at heart) and the shuttle service between each of the other waterparks was prompt and friendly.

Needless to say, I am definitely planning to come back to the Wilderness!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends