In all honesty I had very low expectations of our trip to the Dells based on my own childhood experiences; however...
My family had an absolutely, fantastic time at the Wilderness Resort. The facilities are clean and nicely decorated – the only exception being the waterpark bathroom (with suspect water on the floor). The activities in the indoor waterparks were varied enough to entertain both my 16 year old and my 6 year old. There were several water rides that accomodated all of us at once or split us up two by two – all of these were a hit with my family.
A few tips for thrifty families:
- Take advantage of the in-room fridge – we brought enough food to cover most meals/snacks with only one planned dinner out (see next bullet)
- The buffet is expensive for anyone over the "kid" age – The food was decent for a buffet but highly overpriced (not to mention unpublished). Next time we'll leave the resort for our dinner out
- Get to the waterpark early (a.k.a., before open) – In exchange for standing in line for a bit before the waterpark opens, you'll get a good selection of places to set up camp for the day
- Stay way from the wave pool in the afternoon – Without fail, after lunch the wave pool would be wall to wall inner tubes and the life guards would have to declare an emergency (someone was on the verge of drowning) about every two minutes
- The haunted house might be a bit much for the younger crowd – My 6 year old insisted on going and because of the price (and the remaining audience: my 16 year old), my husband went with her. The mirror maze was fun but she announced shortly after entering she thought it was too scary. She spent the rest of the walk-through with her face buried in her dad's leg while he told her all the things he was seeing.
- The arcade was a good value – we spent an hour or so there and kept our cost within a reasonable range
In the end, we stayed on budget, enjoyed our stay and didn't get injured. As we were getting ready to leave, my 6 year old declared that she wanted to live there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come play the day away in America's largest waterpark resort! The Wilderness has 4 indoor and 4 outdoor water parks totaling nearly 500,000 square feet (that is over 12 football fields of water fun!) We also have two indoor, 3-D, black light mini golf courses; outdoor mini golf; zip lining; go-karts; laser tag; Wild Rock Championship Golf Club; and award-winning spa services at Sundara Spa. Amazing lodging options include Wilderness themed guest rooms, condos, villas and cabins. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Wilderness Resort Wisconsin Dells
- Wilderness Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Wilderness Wisconsin Dells
- Wilderness Wi Dells
- Wilderness Resort Wi Dells
- Resort Wilderness Wisconsin