“Surpassed my expectations”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #9 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Surpassed my expectations”
Reviewed 17 May 2011

In all honesty I had very low expectations of our trip to the Dells based on my own childhood experiences; however...

My family had an absolutely, fantastic time at the Wilderness Resort. The facilities are clean and nicely decorated – the only exception being the waterpark bathroom (with suspect water on the floor). The activities in the indoor waterparks were varied enough to entertain both my 16 year old and my 6 year old. There were several water rides that accomodated all of us at once or split us up two by two – all of these were a hit with my family.

A few tips for thrifty families:
- Take advantage of the in-room fridge – we brought enough food to cover most meals/snacks with only one planned dinner out (see next bullet)
- The buffet is expensive for anyone over the "kid" age – The food was decent for a buffet but highly overpriced (not to mention unpublished). Next time we'll leave the resort for our dinner out
- Get to the waterpark early (a.k.a., before open) – In exchange for standing in line for a bit before the waterpark opens, you'll get a good selection of places to set up camp for the day
- Stay way from the wave pool in the afternoon – Without fail, after lunch the wave pool would be wall to wall inner tubes and the life guards would have to declare an emergency (someone was on the verge of drowning) about every two minutes
- The haunted house might be a bit much for the younger crowd – My 6 year old insisted on going and because of the price (and the remaining audience: my 16 year old), my husband went with her. The mirror maze was fun but she announced shortly after entering she thought it was too scary. She spent the rest of the walk-through with her face buried in her dad's leg while he told her all the things he was seeing.
- The arcade was a good value – we spent an hour or so there and kept our cost within a reasonable range

In the end, we stayed on budget, enjoyed our stay and didn't get injured. As we were getting ready to leave, my 6 year old declared that she wanted to live there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Kataclysm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 May 2011

There have been some bad reviews before, but I am glad I went. My family and friends had a great time. The cleaning service was friendly and the room was clean. Food services were excellent and well priced. The water parks were extremely fun and if you go you have to check out the hurricane. An overall great experience and I would recommend this to all my family and friends.

Room Tip: Look for deals on their website and their mascot
1 Thank willni
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 May 2011

When staying at the wilderness over my spring break, I had a great time in all the indoor water parks, it wasn't too crowded and had the opportunity to go on all the rides with a minimal wait. The rooms were very nice and comfortable. Everyone was very helpful and accommodating. I definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to have a great stay in the Wisconsin Dells.

Reviewed 3 May 2011

I stayed here the weekend of 4/29/11 in their glacier canyon wing of the resort. After 1 night of staying, I awoke to find a bed bug crawling in the bed I slept in. Upon pulling back the sheets I was able to find another 1!!! I showed this to housekeeping and they credited is for the nights stay, but now both of my arms have two tons of bumps on them that itch terribly!!! I will never stay there again!!

• Stayed May 2011
28 Thank LexMo
WildernessResort, General Manager at Wilderness Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
The Wilderness has a successful 15+ year track record of keeping our facility clean & guests satisfied. We have received countless positive reviews over the years, and if a situation such as this is brought to our attention, our management has the authority to immediately address it and resolve it. We know that only satisfied guests will return to our property for future visits. Thus, our management team, housekeeping and customer service representatives work tirelessly to make sure that our property is up to the standards that everyone expects.
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We stayed at the lake 4th floor. Love the room but old tvs, holes in bed spreads. The constant shuddle rides are bs too much wait time. The Klondike was so packed it was unsafe if you have smaller children. Checked on pool times at night and prepared to go and found it was closing when we arrived. Two employees had the wrong info and screwed our evening. God forbid you get there attention from reading a book or texting while working.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Tom0520
Illinois
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Nice time - myself, my husband, 2 sons - ages 12 & 10 and a 12 year old friend of my older son. Room was clean, but the basic cheapest room is a little tight for 2 adults and 3 kids. Parks are VERY spread out - got tired of all the walking. However, the advantage of smaller waterparks is that there is less room for the kids to get lost. Had no problem letting them roam on their own within each park.

The BIG problem we had was Friday night - 2 of the 3 waterparks close at 9:00pm. The Klondike Kavern is open until 10:00pm. So we, like a million other people, headed to the Klondike Kavern at 9:00. It was INSANELY crowded, especially with loud teenagers. There wasn't one inch of space in the hot tub. I feared for my 10 year old son's safety in the lazy river. He spent over 10 minutes waiting for an inner tube, only to be trampled more than a handful of times by the teenagers trying to get the inner tubes as well. We left after those 10 minutes having no clue why the resort would allow this type of a crowd in one waterpark. I can't imagine it is safe for anyone. We were very disappointed & think it would help to have at least one more of the parks open until 10:00. My advice - leave at 9:00pm and don't seek out the Klondike Kavern for that extra one hour. You'll spend the entire time in line anyway. Also, I was surprised (and kind of scared, actually) to see security guards in the waterparks Friday evening. I guess that is a good thing, considering the crowd, but wish it wasn't necessary.

One more thing - I agree with previous reviews about the noise levels in the hotel. My family was woken up at 6:30 Saturday morning by the family in the room next door. The mom & dad were yelling at their child, who continued to cry nonstop. Not a fun way to be woken up when we're exhausted anyway.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BaseballFan5
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I stayed at Glacier Canyon three years ago and loved it. Service was fantastic, everything looked nice and clean and we enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately I can't say the same after staying there this past weekend.

The Good:
Front desk service and a clean room.

The Bad:
Shuttle service was HORRIBLE. 20+ minute wait for one that wasn't full. When one did finally arrive, all we heard from the driver was how full the resort was and that there are only two shuttles. The last thing I want to hear is excuses for poor service, especially when the excuse is that the hotel is full which means they're making a ton of money. The poor service tells me that the resort does not know how to manage resources when near or at full capacity. The sad part is, I was by far not the only person complaining. Everyone I ran into had the same complaint about the shuttles. We ended up driving ourselves everywhere on the resort.

The water parks looked worn out, for a lack of a better word. Foam insulation was missing from slides, many of the steel braces were showing a large amount of rust and parks just looked 'old' and not kept up.

For the cost of our stay and based upon my previous visit, I expected so much better. Next trip to the Dells, we'll be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
7 Thank SeeThruCar