“Great Place for a Big Group”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Great Place for a Big Group”
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed at the wilderness many times. This trip was the first time we stayed in one of their 4 bedroom condos. There were a total of ten of us in our adult group. The Condo had a very large living room that accommodated the whole group. There was also a fireplace in the living room. The kitchen and dining area was also very nice. There was a master bedroom with a fireplace and two other bedrooms down stairs that had queen beds. There were also two bathrooms on the first floor. On the second floor there was a loft area with a queen bed and then a bedroom with 2 queen beds. There was also a full bath on the second floor. There was also two other pull out couches, and two rollaway beds. There was also a large patio with a sitting area. There are many different things to do including the water parks, which are fun for all ages. They even have a shuttle service that takes you around, and if you ask nicely they will pick you up from the bars J . Check in is very fast. There are plenty of places to eat and drink on site. The condos are very reasonable when you have a big group.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Kirkey06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
Minnesota
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Nice room for 2 adults and 3 kids. 2 queen beds and divider wall with mini bar and sofa bed. Perfect for our family. Waterparks were clean and well maintained with attentive staff. Food in the Wild Canyon Cafe is good for all. Only disappointment was that they closed the Wild West waterpark without any notification because of low occupancy...disappointing...but did not let it ruin our Mother's Day weekend trip. This is the 5th time we have been there. Will be going back.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 3rd floor of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bethjos
Reviewed 17 May 2011

In all honesty I had very low expectations of our trip to the Dells based on my own childhood experiences; however...

My family had an absolutely, fantastic time at the Wilderness Resort. The facilities are clean and nicely decorated – the only exception being the waterpark bathroom (with suspect water on the floor). The activities in the indoor waterparks were varied enough to entertain both my 16 year old and my 6 year old. There were several water rides that accomodated all of us at once or split us up two by two – all of these were a hit with my family.

A few tips for thrifty families:
- Take advantage of the in-room fridge – we brought enough food to cover most meals/snacks with only one planned dinner out (see next bullet)
- The buffet is expensive for anyone over the "kid" age – The food was decent for a buffet but highly overpriced (not to mention unpublished). Next time we'll leave the resort for our dinner out
- Get to the waterpark early (a.k.a., before open) – In exchange for standing in line for a bit before the waterpark opens, you'll get a good selection of places to set up camp for the day
- Stay way from the wave pool in the afternoon – Without fail, after lunch the wave pool would be wall to wall inner tubes and the life guards would have to declare an emergency (someone was on the verge of drowning) about every two minutes
- The haunted house might be a bit much for the younger crowd – My 6 year old insisted on going and because of the price (and the remaining audience: my 16 year old), my husband went with her. The mirror maze was fun but she announced shortly after entering she thought it was too scary. She spent the rest of the walk-through with her face buried in her dad's leg while he told her all the things he was seeing.
- The arcade was a good value – we spent an hour or so there and kept our cost within a reasonable range

In the end, we stayed on budget, enjoyed our stay and didn't get injured. As we were getting ready to leave, my 6 year old declared that she wanted to live there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Kataclysm
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 May 2011

There have been some bad reviews before, but I am glad I went. My family and friends had a great time. The cleaning service was friendly and the room was clean. Food services were excellent and well priced. The water parks were extremely fun and if you go you have to check out the hurricane. An overall great experience and I would recommend this to all my family and friends.

Room Tip: Look for deals on their website and their mascot
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank willni
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 May 2011

When staying at the wilderness over my spring break, I had a great time in all the indoor water parks, it wasn't too crowded and had the opportunity to go on all the rides with a minimal wait. The rooms were very nice and comfortable. Everyone was very helpful and accommodating. I definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to have a great stay in the Wisconsin Dells.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I stayed here the weekend of 4/29/11 in their glacier canyon wing of the resort. After 1 night of staying, I awoke to find a bed bug crawling in the bed I slept in. Upon pulling back the sheets I was able to find another 1!!! I showed this to housekeeping and they credited is for the nights stay, but now both of my arms have two tons of bumps on them that itch terribly!!! I will never stay there again!!

• Stayed May 2011
28 Thank LexMo
WildernessResort, General Manager at Wilderness Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
The Wilderness has a successful 15+ year track record of keeping our facility clean & guests satisfied. We have received countless positive reviews over the years, and if a situation such as this is brought to our attention, our management has the authority to immediately address it and resolve it. We know that only satisfied guests will return to our property for future visits. Thus, our management team, housekeeping and customer service representatives work tirelessly to make sure that our property is up to the standards that everyone expects.
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We stayed at the lake 4th floor. Love the room but old tvs, holes in bed spreads. The constant shuddle rides are bs too much wait time. The Klondike was so packed it was unsafe if you have smaller children. Checked on pool times at night and prepared to go and found it was closing when we arrived. Two employees had the wrong info and screwed our evening. God forbid you get there attention from reading a book or texting while working.

• Stayed May 2011