“Room was not what I expected for such a high price”
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Elgin, Illinois
“Room was not what I expected for such a high price”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Was very disappointed in the room cleanliness, smell, and atmosphere. My teen-age daughter and I made a spur-of-the-moment trip to visit a friend in the Dells. I had stayed at the Wilderness many years ago and was pleased with the surroundings. It was a Friday afternoon and I felt lucky to have gotten a room upon just stopping in. I wish I had gone with my intuition when they told me the price. It was a double queen room equipped for handicapped going at $300 with tax for one night. I didn't need the handicap accommodations but it was the only "LOW" priced room available.

The room was dreary, over-scented with deodorizing spray and the bathroom smelled damp and mildewy. I attributed the smell in the bathroom to the fact that it was completely tiled with two drains to accommodate wheelchairs into the shower. Unfortunately it wasn't very clean - the shower tile walls weren't the best and the floor was dirty and still wet when I came in. I walked around in my flip flops for the entire evening. My daughter and I decided we were not going to take any shower in the morning, just do a quick cleanup in the sink which thank goodness was located outside the bathroom.

After returning from dinner, my daughter wouldn't even use the toilet, she went to the public one at the pool. I decided to ask for another room.

I will thank them for finding us a room next to it (which was considered a double queen suite since it had a couch in it). But the coment from the dexk was they were glad to move me & "there would not charge me more since it was later in the evening". Since the previous room was not up to a $300.00 fee, I didn't appreciate the remark.

I know part of the cost is to have the waterparks and activities, but if they are going to charge such a high rate at least the rooms should measure up to the cost. The beds were hard and there was still an intense deodorant scent even in the next room.

since we stayed in the original lodge, maybe the newer locations are better taken care of an upscale, but for the price I would suggest looking at other locations and their pricing!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 August 2010

$230 a night plus a $30 resort fee tacked on my bill got me a room with badly worn, dirty carpet, a worn out sofa sleeper that wouldn't cut it in a frat house, an air conditioning unit that was loud as a car engine and spewed mildewy air, and small wadded up pieces of tissues in the corner- one of which had a spot of blood on it! To add insult to injury, I had to stand in line for twenty minutes in order to check out because I got double billed for the previous day's lunch and obviously needed to get that straightened out.

The waterparks were fine, but the overall experience was way below that of two other waterpark resorts I've stayed at with my family in The Dells. I don't expect much from hotel staff members during the height of the summer tourist season. The Wilderness staff didn't disappoint on this count either. Wilderness is an overpriced rip off as far as I'm concerned.

Reviewed 6 August 2010

We just returned from The WIlderness yesterday. We have two small children (4 and 2), and stayed in the Frontier section (suite with semi private wall). Everyone had an absolute blast. While the resort is a little pricey, if you love the pool and slides you won't be disapointed.
The line-ups are the worst thing about the waterparks. It took nearly 30 minutes to get on the Hurricane and the resort could use more tubes. By 10 am all 4 days we were there the tubes were gone and people were keeping them at their tables.
Our family got the Extreme Pass, which gave you basically one shot of all non water acitivities (go carts, arcade credits, lazer tag, 3 rounds of mini golf, haunted house) I don't think we would do this again, the waterparks are by far the best thing to do at this resort. There are more than enough water activities to hold your attention.
We had a list of things we wanted to accomplish in the Dells and none of it really got done. The weather was great and the kids just wanted to play in the water, my 2 year old loved the slides (especially the 4 person family tube rides).
There seems to be a lot of negativeatey floating around about this place but generally people that write these reviews are people that had a bad experience. Also we attended the Tuesday night movie under the stars (Sharktale), it was a great idea but the the misquitos were just awful.
We also loaded up on groceries at Walmart before checking in. it can get pricey eating at restaraunts every meal, so we like to do breakfast and lunch on our own. (our room had microwave and fridge). Over all it was a great family vacation and we will be back. I already miss the Wilderness radio playing around the Lost World Waterpark.

1 Thank C_Ditty123
Elmwood, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We stayed at Glacier Canyon two years ago (part of The Wilderness properties) and LOVED it so we assumed a room at The Wilderness Hotel would be equally as nice. WRONG! Check-in was quick although the young girl helping us had the personality of a pencil eraser. We had booked a two queen deluxe room. Upon entering our room, it was obvious to us that it had been a smoking room in the past. It REEKED of stale cigarettes. With the exception of some black mold growing in the grout in the bathroom and a few large spots on the carpet, the room was fairly clean. We stayed for two nights and Housekeeping did the bare minimum -- half-hearted attempt at making the beds and that's it, didn't restock soap, coffee, etc. Despite the room being a HUGE disappointment, the waterparks were great and we all had a good time there. Some relatives staying in the Dells at the same time paid $99/night at the Wintergreen Resort which included 4 passes to Mount Olympus and discounted tickets for the Wisconsin Ducks. Their room was a bit smaller than ours, but it was no worse and probably a little better than our $245/night room. We won't be returning to The WIldnerness. EVER.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank muzikluvnmom
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Waited 20 minutes in line to check in... when presented with the room rates the "special rate" I got online was smacked with a resort fee of $28.95, but the two other regularly priced days was not charged that fee....So much for a deal. They left me a voice mail message telling me my room was ready (after check in time had already passed, which was fine, we were having fun in the park). Waited 15 minutes in line to pick up my room keys, even though there is an "express" key pick up line. The room was clean, but had some type of funky smell, somewhere between paint and smoke, we couldn't decide. The bathroom was very small and the toiletries provided were low end for such an expensive per night rate. There was a lot of overhead noise in the late evening.
There was plenty of signage and maps to point you in the right direction. The walking wasn't bad either between any of the parks and we hit them all. There were plenty of tubes and the only long line was for the "Hurricane", which really wasn't worth the wait. There were lifeguards all over the place. They do not check for wristbands though, so it would be very easy for anybody off the street to come in as the doors do not have locks on them from the outside.
The consierge was pretty much a waste of time. She was probably about 19 and when I went to inquire about the prices for the extra activities (mini golf, go-karts, etc) she didn't have a clue, said that they change so often they don't publish them, but did try to get me to sign up for their time share tour. There wasn't any pressure, when I said "No thank you" she left it at that. The zip line is horribly over priced at $45.
Overall, the kids were content throughout our stay and didn't feel the need to leave to go to one of the bigger waterparks. There was enough there to keep them entertained for three days.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed in the cabins. They were dirty and in need of repairs. Our shower curtain had a significant amount of mildew on it. We requested a new curtain, and they did replace it fairly promptly. The pull out couch was filthy - no bedding, spots on mattress and mattress protector - disgusting. Luckily, we did not need to use it. Refrigerator was duct taped, dented, though functioning. Carpet was frayed. Parking spots were limited. Employees were friendly, but not very knowledgeable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 July 2010

This was our first trip to the Wilderness. I had heard good things from co-workers who said this was a great resort to stay at in the dells. We have stayed at some of the other large resorts so my expectations were pretty high. We didnt experience the full on sales pitch for the timeshare program like many other have complained about. I did have to add 1 additional kid last minute before our departure from Milwaukee (over the phone) and had absolutely no problems whatsoever with reservation staff... Our room was ready when we arrived (about 6pm - late on the road, doh!) - Our accomodations were clean and inviting. I liked the decor, which was all north woods/up north/pine in style. I would recommend that you try to book a room in Glacier Canyon if possible. The facilities there seemed to be kept up the best in comparison to other parts of the resort. The other guests in our wing were all pretty well behaved and we didnt have any issues with late night noise/rude guests. We happened to get locked out of the room (happened to forget our room key one time out at the pool) and security had come upon us and helped up get back in the room without having to go all the way back to the check in desk. (Which was very nice). I would say most of the staff is very helpful, although I kinda got the feeling we were often "on our own" throughout the resort, I didnt see much staff in the canyon area unless it was near an attraction - however the staff in the arcade refused to help us at 10:01pm when "all the games shut off" even though they proceeded to help (what appeared) to be "high roller" types... I felt a little put off and almost a little offended. People often complain about not being able to find their way around the resort - however I found maps to be available/posted in the hallways to find your way - if you get your bearings and just reference the maps, you wont get lost - make sure you plan your route before you leave your room instead of wandering aimlessly around. Even with a 12 y/o, and 2 8 y/o's we did fine... the walking was good exercise for all of us and was not as bad as some reviews mention. Although with very small children you would probably be better off using the free shuttle service the resort provides. The only food we had was the breakfast buffet, which was good/wide selection, but drinks are not included (as it is at most of the bigger resorts). All in all - the kids had a good time, we visited nearly all of the waterparks both indoor and out and all interaction with lifeguards / pool staff was good. (The locker/changing rooms needed to be monitored more though - towels were always wet all over the place!!) Also, if you want to use a jacuzzi, plan it either very early/late as many were jammed up with small children. It would be nice if the wilderness would offer more inclusions with their hotel rates (like many of the other resorts do with passes, dinner, attractions) - to make it a little more affordable/valued. We spent a lot of our money off property by choice because it was too costly on the resort grounds. They really try to suck you in and not leave the grounds during your stay - knowing how much the dells has to offer, do not fall for this - you can save yourself a lot of money by heading towntown or at least further out on the strip!! I would probably come here again in the winter considering how many indoor parks they have - especially the wild water dome with the HUGE wave pool that allows you to tan year round - but only if we can get a good rate/deal on the lodging.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family