“Great Value.”
Review of Colonial Motel

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Very economical, excellent location. Saving money on the room allowed us to spend our money on all the attractions that the dells has to offer. We booked the smallest least priced room and found it a bit small. However, we were not in the room very much and did not have any problems with the room. The owner takes great pride in his property and it shows. The pool was nice. I could see how some might be put off by the size of the room but we enjoyed the throwback feel and experience. The one thing that would have made the stay better would have been a bigger bath towel, just sayin'.

Room Tip: Maybe pay for the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve R

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We love this motel and the owners are extremely hospitable. The rooms are extremely clean as well as the motel grounds. The owners were kind enough to let us store our bikes in their personal storage unit. Love this place! Absolutely best deal in the Dells and in a wonderful location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JacquelineRo
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We have stayed in the Dells for more than 20 years now. Stayed at many places, but stayed at The Colonial,with Ted and Ursula for the last 15 years. They are wonderful!!! Yes the Hotel is small, but always super clean, and super respectful "for" their guests. So if you want to party all night, let your kids run wild, irritate all the other guests, have the management not care, go elsewhere. The is one of the biggest reasons I stay here. They are always cleaning, and grooming the place. They work very hard to keep what they have. So speaking from a guest stand point!! Awesome job!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are very accessible to attractions. Bottom level facing pool are most convenient.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank HELEN B
Reviewed 24 September 2012

If you keep in mind that our room was only $40 a night, it was par for what we paid for. It's a cheap motel - what can you say? If you want to save money and stay at the cheapest place in the Dells, then stay here and deal with it.

Cons:
Bed was extremely hard and covered in a plastic sheet that crinkled loudly. The pillow was literally as hard as a rock. Don't expect to get much sleep here.
The shower turned ice cold each time I used it, but just for a minute or two.
Don't forget your shampoo and conditioner, and a hair dryer. I forgot my dryer so I couldn't wash my hair. Nothing is supplied except soap.
It was freezing in the room at first, but once the heater got going, it was very warm.

Pros:
The owner was actually very nice and friendly to us. I've found that if you treat others like you'd like to be treated, they usually respond the same way. He let us stay another half hour after check out with no problems at all.
Our room was clean.
It was cheap, so we could save our money to do things in town instead of spending it on a room we were only sleeping in.

Honestly, I'm used to more cushy accommodations so I will pay more to stay at a nicer place next time, but I'm thinking that this might be fine for those in their teens/early 20s as a place to crash.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jprandle
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2012

Thank you for your response and for staying at the Colonial Motel. The reason for the mattresses having the plastic sheet is per health department regulations. The room that you stayed in was and economy room, please note that we also have a variety of different rooms to choose from as well (singles, doubles and family suites).

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I just got back from my 1 night stay in a Queen room for $35, yep, $35. When we checked in, we also received some discounts for local attractions that ended up saving us $10 and a free ticket to Mt Olympus water park. The room was tiny but I didn't expect much for $35. The pool was nice and the location was essentially in the downtown. As others have said, the owner isn't the friendliest but we didn't have any issues with him. We were quiet and obeyed the rules.

Overall, I'd definitely stay again for the low price and good location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EatDrinkandBeLucky
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I first have to start by saying, and I will always say this, I have been coming here since I was a child and it has been fantastic every single time, without fail. The rooms are VERY clean and smell fresh and the air conditioners always work and do not make any noise. The owners have always been respectful to my family and any other guests I have seen come here.

The only time I saw the owner was at the front desk when we checked in. He did not have to come out and tell us to be quiet or to go to bed, even when we were back around 2 a.m. and had the and microwave on. If he did, it would probably be because we were being too loud after hours, and it would be just out of respect and comfort of the other guests. Yes, you are on vacation but respect and quiet time is still very much valued and expected.

The pool is always kept clean and crystal clear with plenty of seats and tables for relaxing and spending time after a long day on the strip. Guests pay hard-earned money for the rooms and to be able to swim in the pool, it would not be fair for guests from other motels to swim in the pool so I appreciate that the manager was keeping an eye on this.

Another wonderful stay at the Colonial Inn! We will definitely be back for years to come. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a peaceful place to relax after exploring the Dells. Rooms and bathrooms are cleaned very well on a daily basis, the owners are absolutely fantastic, the rates are very affordable and it's the best location for downtown shopping and exploring!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Midwest_trvlr10
Reviewed 30 July 2012

It was the worst experience in my life, owners were very rude, wanted you to be in bed @ 10 because they were all in your face saying that you should be putting your kids to sleep its late,come on we are on vacation we dont need a bby sitter, charged my credit card suposely for a bath matt that i never saw. very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay better at the Fritzgerald Motel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank La Bori D

We spoke to the customer about her children yelling and running around the balcony's of the Colonial Motel at 2:30am and asked her to please tell her children to stop. The children were also knocking on the doors of other guests and waking them up. The customer explained that she was not the babysitter of the children and let them continue running around.

The customer was charged was charged for 1 bath mat, however, there were towels missing also as reported by the Colonial Motel maid service employees.