“Sparkling clean facilities”

Wisconsin Dells KOA
Miami Beach, Florida
“Sparkling clean facilities”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

This KOA has the cleanest facilities we have ever seen at a campground. Each bathroom is a private room tastefully finished and incredibly clean complete with a ready stock of hand soap. The showers are also individual rooms with plenty of hooks to keep items dry while you shower with excellent water pressure and are also impeccably clean. Wonderful convenience features include community gas grills and outdoor camper sinks you can do your dishes at. These are also in top notch clean condition. They have a small pavilion where they host typical activities and movie nights. Their pool is nicely kept but too small for size off campground. Due to the crowded kid filled conditions of the pool we were unable to use it. The train runs along the side of the campground. It is loud and shakes the ground. We were startled by it the first night but most of us slept through it the second night. The sites are very close together and have zero privacy. The bath house has a ton of lights at night that shine into the sites around it making it difficult to sleep in addition to the train. If you are a light sleeper you may not like it here. I think a cabin would be a better way to go over staying in a tent like we did here.If you love a clean bathroom and don't mind everyone seeing into your site and are a heavy sleeper this is the place for you. You also will receive a huge number of discount cards which came in handy saving us a lot off money while in town.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Rita B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We really liked it here. The bathrooms and showers were very clean. The staff and owners are very nice. If you have kids this place is great with a playground, pool and splashpad. Every night a kid's movie plays at 8:00 PM in the pavilion. Other reviewers complained about the trains going by but we thought this was a great feature, a little loud but fun to watch. The only downside is that the sites are pretty close together, not private like a state park. Be ready for kids and people up talking, crying, playing in the early morning hours. A security guard sat near our site in his car all night, we never saw him do much so we didn't understand the point of this guy being there but it was entertaining to us. This campground is about a mile up the road from downtown Dells, we loved how nice that was. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Sites 19 - 23 are pretty and near the pool and playground. Perfect if you have kids. If you don'...
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was my first stay at a KOA, and I was disappointed. My husband and I stayed in one of the electrical tent sites. First, there is minimal to no privacy. I assumed (falsely) there would be some degree of separation between the sites but there is not. I've only camped in State/National parks, and it was a VERY different experience. Second, there is a train right by the campground. It was so loud that it sounded like the train was going through the campground. We had a very poor night of sleep due to the very loud noise. Unfortunately, on the KOA website there was absolutely no mention of the train nearby. Third, we had a site right by the bathrooms. The light on the bathroom building was blinding, and I had to sleep with a blanket over my head to block out the light. So, if you are one of the unfortunate ones to get one of those sites, come prepared!

There were some positives. The showers were very clean. They were more clean than most state campgrounds I've been in. If you have kids, they would likely have a good time here. It appeared there was a nice pool area that the kids in the campground were enjoying. There were a lot of kids in the campground as well, which suggests to me it is kid friendly. (My husband and I did not have children with us.)

Overall, I was very disappointed. My husband has stayed at KOAs before and assured me this was not his previous experience. I'm reluctant to stay at another KOA due to my experience being so poor.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from tent sites near the bathroom. The light on the building is blinding!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ndctca
Southern Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed here 4 nights. Nothing to really complain about, nothing really to rave about. Sites are packed in tight. Our slide was literally 3 inches from a tree on one side and we couldn't put out our awning due to a tree on the other side. Pool was very small with a small splash pad on the side. Restrooms were very nice and kept fairly clean but the toilets didn't flush the greatest. If we ever come to the dells again with our camper we will probably try a different campground, although odds are that if we ever come to the dells again we will probably just stay at one of the resorts.

One other point I would like to make is regarding the train. We were up on the hill and although we could hear the train pass it did not bother us at all. After reading all other reviews I was worried about the train noise but it wasn't a problem for us in the least. In fact, when our air conditioner was running in the camper we could not hear it at all.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Last minute my boyfriend and I decided to stay here. We had a cabin for two nights. Main room had a tv, refrigerator, place for our bags, small table. We also had a shower, toilet and sink. And another room with bunk beds but we didn't use it. The front if our cabin had a picnic table and a fire pit. We used our own sheets. Room was clean. No bugs (for the most part). Just wished the outside sitting area was tidier. And the fridge smelt like fish. The owner Jill was more than accommodating. Overall great stay and can't wait to go back this fall!

• Stayed July 2013
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This campground was exceptionally clean. Staff was very helpful. Pool and splashpad were in great shape and clean. Had movies at night and "bike" rentals. Before staying here, keep in mind that there is a very long train that runs regularly throughout the day and night that is close enough that it feels/sounds like it's running through the middle of the campground. Other than that, I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for location as far from railroad tracks as possible.
New Brighton, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I have stayed at this property multiple times before. I really like how close it is to everything - the location is very convienient. We just got back from a 5 night stay, we had a fairly large group renting two camping cabins and the large loft cabin. On our 2nd night, three of our children were on a night hike (about 1030pm), one threw a rock up in the air and it accidently came down hitting a vehicle. Well - inside of this vehicle was an employee and his girlfriend. This employee lives/sleeps in his vehicle on site everynight. He was raging mad! Chased down the kids - threatened to kill them, telling them all they were dead, and pushed my 12 year old in the back - back to our cabin. He then went on to demand that we write him out a check for $1000 or we would be kicked out of the campground immediately. He called us names - bad parents, intoxicated (I was drinking a wine cooler by the fire) and was acting completely irrational. We tried to calmly talk to him and stated maybe it would be best to check out the car in the morning to see if there was any damage and we could go from there.... Well he wanted that $1000!! He marched off and went to wake up the owner stating we were all being kicked out. It was pretty obvious that this employee was either intoxicated or under the influence of some type of drug - that in itself and the fact that the campground allows its employees to sleep in their vehicles anywhere in the campground is very scarey to me as a mother. The owner told the employee to call the police if there was a problem, he pretended to - but actually did not (I called to check - to see if we needed to stay up to wait for the police). In the morning I spoke with owner - who was nice, but told me she would talk to the employee to see where he wanted to take it... Really??? I was more than willing to take care of any damage - but what about how your employee acted and actually put his hands on my child?? Well - I never heard from the owner again - - we spent the next 3 nights afraid to let the kids go anywhere by themselves and fearing that the employee would somehow take revenge on us. Before this trip I recommended the property numerous times - I will no longer do this and will definitly **not** be going back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family