Polynesian Resort Hotel
Ranked #58 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 9 July 2007

We just returned from Wisconsin Dells, stayed at the Polynesian Resort from July 1-5th...had a great time and the property is awesome! In looking over the other reviews, some were negative and there was nothing really negative about it at all...staff was very pleasant and helpful...we got checked in quickly, was given our bracelets to wear for the day (everyday is a different color)...that was nice, kind of like a security thing.

The resort is quite huge and by the time we left, I still couldnt find my way around but that is just something that goes along w/ "bigger hotels"...we loved the luxury of everything it offered. There was 7 of us that went (5 were the kids)...we booked adjoining rooms-2nd floor-poolside-which was very very nice! We got to sit out on the deck and watch the kids go swimming. The best part of it was how they wake you up w/music (outdoor waterpark area) at 9am everyday and play it until 9pm (which was when the pool closed). They have areas around for children young and old, alot for everyone!

The waterpark inside was just as fun as the outdoor waterpark. The inside waterpark closed at 10pm...there is also another separate pool by the front desk which closed at 11:30pm, so needless to say, all of us swam until then. You could just spend a "day" at the Polynesian and still have fun! We did enjoy alot of the other attractions at the Dells, but the kids wanted to always come "back to the hotel" to go swimming! So if that doesnt tell you something, I dont know what will.

I have done alot of checking into the other resorts also and will definitely come back to the Polynesian Resort next year, it is close to everything (stores, gas stations, resturants,etc.) and Mt Olympus is only a mile away. The Polynesian Isle is right next door which those travelers are also welcomed into the Resort property for full use of the waterparks.

Once again, I would rate everything high for this hotel....we booked 6months in advance and got the room and price we wanted accordingly to when we went (over a holiday).

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank sm087

Reviewed 7 July 2007

This resort needs a total staff overhaul starting with the General Manager, who I will not name. Let's just say that he is very full of himself, unwilling to effectively communicate and down right rude.

The staff seemed unhappy to be there and I understood where they got their attitudes as I watched the Manager scream at front desk staff in front of guest.

The rooms were clean and the water park is good for little kids, but ever basic service you won't find it here.

If you are looking for a place where the staff is friendly and the management cares, don't look here.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank ChicagoInTheHouse
Reviewed 2 July 2007

We stayed at the Polynesian June 25-29th & it was great. We have 3 kids ranging from 4yrs-11yrs & I was nervous that our 11 yr. old would get bored because he loves water thrill rides, but he had a great time also.
Check-in was painless. We got there a little early, but our room was ready, which was nice. We stayed in a luxury suite which was about $129/night. It had a living room area w/ a pull-out sofa, comfortable chair, & table & chairs & a TV. From there, there was a "hallway" leading to our bedroom w/ king sized bed, a 2nd TV, etc.. In the "hallway" in between was a nice sized closet, a mini-kitchenette w/ sink, microwave, frig, coffepot, & a few cabinets for snacks, also 1 of 2 doorways to the bathroom. My only complaint was that there was a strange odor that was noticeable upon entering the room. i wonder if it's a cleaner they use....I don't know, but I had a can of Febreeze w/ me, so I just sprayed that! The room was clean otherwiswe. Again, not the fanciest room we've ever had, but it was fine. We went for the waterparks, not the room.
The waterparks were perfect for kids 10 & younger--just like they advertise. We've been to the Dells before & stayed at Treasure Island/Mt Olympus which is nice , but just too big & crowded & "too much stuff" for our family right now. At the Polynesian, as far as I know they only allow hotel guests to use the waterparks- a big, big plus. I didn't have to be a nervous wreck about losing the kids in the crowd. There are other reviews on here that give alot of the details about the waterparks so I won't repeat. In a nutshell, they were great for our kids, very age appropriate. It was nice because there were plenty of tables & chairs, in the sun & in the shade to sit in a watch the kids in the smaller areas.
If i could change anything, I'd book a poolside room next time. I didn't even think of it when I booked. But when we were out in the waterpark & I saw people out on their patios & balconies it occurred to me! I even considered trying to change our room, but we were already settled in & unpacked so I didn't bother. Next time I'll book a poolside room for sure!
Our kids didn't want to leave. We were there Mon-Fri & we were in the pools every day, for most of the day except for 1 day when it was a little chilly outside so we did some sightseeing & came back to the indoor pools in the late afternoon.. My point being, you can easily stay there for several days & never have to leave the resort! I highly recommend it!

4  Thank Kellith
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Okay, first when I tried to book the hotel online, it quoted me $145 for the night. I called to book instead and they told me because it was the last room it was now $165...I said no thanks and went back and booked it online for $145. (This was on their own website not Expedia or anything).

Secondly, we had to walk all the way around the hotel and up to the 3rd floor to our room. After the 10 minute walk, I found neither one of the keycards worked in the door. So I had to leave my stuff by the door and drag my 3 kids back to the lobby and wait in line to get the keycards fixed. That sucked.

Apart from that, we had a really fun stay here. They have a lot of things to do...indoor and outdoor water slides, lazy rivers, pools, hot tubs, and many waterfeatures for little kids. They also have a pretty new amusement/game room. One of the things we really liked was the glass elevator up to the game room. You can see the whole outside waterpark as you ascend- very cool.

In addition, they have a few bars in various places around the parks that sell alcohol, snacks, and pool items.

The room was larger than normal and had a sitting area and balcony, two things we really liked. However, every time we entered the room there was an strange odor. We weren't sure if it was coming from the a/c or what. But the room was clean so it was okay.

We had a good time and will probably come here again sometime.

2  Thank jsta_grl22
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I took our 2 kids, ages 2 and 5 to the Polynesian for a 2 night stay this past weekend. I read all the reviews before booking and decided to take a chance in spite of some of the negative things I read. I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The lobby was much nicer than I anticipated. We only waited a few minutes before checking in, our room was ready an hour early, and the front desk staff were friendly. (I must note that at 3:00 on Sunday the check in lines were much different - the line was snaked out the door and I was SO glad we hadn't had such an experience). I was also relieved when we checked into our room. We stayed at the Polynesian Isle, not the main hotel. By the way, the Isle really is just across the parking lot - not at all an inconvienent walk in summer weather. Many reviews say the rooms are outdated, but ours had obviously had recent updates - the bathroom countertop, toilet, tub, lights, table, and entertainment center all appeared very new. There is a real lack of storage in the room however - only a tiny "closet" with 4 hangers . The room is plenty big, but it seemed there was no place to put anything - no hook on the bathroom door, tiny ledges on the tub, etc. The room was reasonably clean - not immaculate. The beds were hard.
The water park was bigger than we expected. There are two indoor water park areas. The first is very small, but our kids enjoyed it. The other area has 2 big slides, a lazy river, 2 hot tubs, and an outdated kiddy area. Our 5 year old enjoyed the animated pirates inside the lazy river and the tube slide. The biggest turn off at the entire place for me was that the stairs leading up to the slides in this waterpark were disgusting - quite a few bandaids and old gum on them - both on Friday and still on Sunday. That made me afraid of the cleanliness elsewhere although for the most part things seemed ok. The outdoor waterpark was great for our kids. There were so many different areas for small children to play that our kids didn't get bored. There are 3 separate areas for small children as well as 2 big slides, another lazy river, a pool, hot tubs, and even a small sand play area that our 2 year old enjoyed.
Although it wasn't the fanciest place we have ever stayed, I was glad we chose the Polynesian for this weekend and would recommend it to others with children under 10 years old.

Reviewed 25 June 2007

We tried this hotel even though the reviews were a little negative at times. We were there 6/21-6/24. We had a great time! We arrived at
noon and by 2 our room was ready. We were given our pool passes (bracelets) and encouraged to use the pool until our room was ready.
The staff was friendly and check in went smoothly. The indoor pools could have used a little updating and many of the buttons in the water factory did not work, but other than that, it was perfect for our 4 year old. The outdoor pools were wonderful and there were lots of lifeguard. They were all very nice but some were bit hard to understand with their european accent. The rooms were clean & tidy. Everything worked in our room and we had a nice pool-side view from our balcony.

The food was not great, but I haven't found hotel food to be spectacular in the Dells at any of the hotels. We tried the Wild West
Buffet (same side as Walgreens) for lunch, the food was horrible and cold at lunch time. Save your money! Go to Uno's or that "Moose Pizza" place down the road. I've also heard Monk's Bar has great hamburgers, new location by the Wilderness Hotel.

It's a great place for a fraction of the cost of the BIG hotels (Wilderness, Kalahari, Great Wolf), which we have been to before. This is perfect for kids ages 1-10. Beyond 10, they would probably be
bored, since the rides are very basic, no wave pools or thrilling slides. They have some larger slides with tubes, but not like the BIG hotels in the Dells.

We will return again later this summer.

Reviewed 10 June 2007

Our family just got back from the Polynesian Resort (June 6 - 10) and we really had a blast. I think we went right before high season.....resort was pretty empty, but so was downtown! Couldn't believe there was no traffic at all. Picked up on Friday and Saturday. So that was kinda nice!!!! My children are ages 11, 8 and 5 and this resort was perfect for them...and us! The rooms were very, very clean and as soon as we entered the resort hallway from outside I was immediately struck with a fresh, clean scent. I was a little worried about the cleanliness of the rooms from prior reviews that I had read....but my worries were very much unfounded. The refrigerator was a very good size. We did arrive a little early for check-in...probably around 3:30 AND GUESS WHAT.....THE ROOM WAS READY.....WAHOOOO!!! No waiting....just checked in, unpacked then let the fun begin!!!!

PACKAGES: We did receive a special package which was even better than the Polynesian Perks Package...because it added free Ducks tickets for the kids...plus two kiddie meals at the Tiki Restaurant/Bar which has got to be a $60.00 value....plus all the Polynesian Perks too. AMAZING!!! You get one large two topping pizza, two frozen drinks (alcohol included), one refillable mug (for soft drinks) and 24 game tokens for the game room, free Ducks tickets (kids) and two kiddie meals!!!! Quite a good deal!

MAINTENANCE: We did have a problem with one of our drawers, it was completely broken. Maintenance was over to our room in about 15 minutes and...fixed. Drawer replaced.

BARS: The Tiki Bar outside is a blast and you can refill the mugs there, plus order the pizzas and get all kids of foods and different alcohol/non-alcohol drinks. The is a Tiki Bar inside the hotel by the lobby, but it gets very crowded and I think it is understaffed. I went there to order a pizza our first night and I stood there for probably 15 minutes just to order the pizza and another 10 minutes to pick it up.

Life Guards: Many, many of them. Alot with broken English. I think there is some type of training program going on. Many of the life guards were from Poland and Russia. Very nice, just hard to understand. Also, very, very, very attentive. Be sure to wear your colored wrist band...or you'll get kicked out of the pool area for sure!!! Again, I think they are training now for the upcoming busy season.

STAFF: All very, very nice. No complaints here!!!!!!!

LAZY RIVER: The lazy river is wonderful, although I could have used a little longer river...but again this is a resort catering to children 12 and under...so I suppose the lazy river was just great for them and just perfect for my three kids! The bottoms of some pools are kind of rough, so I would pack water shoes. The outside waterslides are really great and the inside waterpark was very fun. All the pools were clean. The Black Pearl lazy river was fun for the kids...kind of...not scary...but dark with a pirate theme...my kids loved it! Several hot tubs inside and outside. Very nice. We stayed in room 182 (double queen) which is on the ground floor facing the outdoor water park. It's a fine-sized room. There is a nice sized patio so we had snacks there. Very convenient for the kids and for us being so close to the fun!!!! I did pack a double decker twin air mattress which really came in handy and there was plenty of room for it next to the air conditioner. Why spend $ for a roll out bed when you can buy the air mattress at WalMart for $30 and it's yours to keep!!

Like I said we did the Ducks....which we all enjoyed! They offer a packet of info at the end of the ride for $4.00 which we decided to get. We gave the driver (ALEX) a tip...which he was very happy to receive. Alex was great, very funny, he made the trip fun!!!! We went at 9:00 a.m. and would recommend going early, as the parking lot was very crowded when we got back to our car.

Did the Deer Park......I would highly recommend. Lots of tame deer and other animals. I think it was roughly $28 for me and the three kids to get in....plus the cost of food...which is like....$1.00. Kids really loved it...got some amazing pictures. On 28 acres...so took a while to get through. Again, very nice.

We went downtown a few times to shop, but we were very happy just staying at the resort! We wanted to do more attractions, but ran out of time. I found that the gift shop is a little expensive...so you'll find your deals downtown.

All in all, the trip was great! The resort was fantastic. We would go to the Polynesian again in a heart beat! When the kids get older we will look into another resort, maybe Great Wolf Lodge, but for right now this resort was very age appropriate.

Things to bring: Water shoes, shampoo and conditioner (provided, but in very small amounts), food and drinks for the refrigerator, snacks for the microwave...popcorn and what not. Don't pack alot of clothes...you'll never use them!! What we really used, of course, were the bathing suits/trunks and one or two pair of shorts and tops.

Another plus: Free coffee in the lobby from I think 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 or so.....!!!!

Sorry for the extra long review, but I love detail and would, myself, appreciate knowing what to expect going into a "new to me" hotel. I would attach pictures, but if you call the hotel and ask for a brochure...you can really see for yourself what you're getting. It's a very detailed brochure. Hope this helps and HAVE FUN!!!

P.S.: Hello to Adam and Dana (and family) !!! Hope you guys had a safe trip home!!!!!

6  Thank BEACHGIRLOF3