“Nice place to stay, but staff could be more helpful and friendly”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Superior, Wisconsin, United States
“Nice place to stay, but staff could be more helpful and friendly”
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

We were very excited to stay at the Kalahari for our first family vacation. We stayed during the "off-season" so I booked our room the same day that we arrived. I chose the "Choose Your Own Getaway" package. Upon check in, the package that I had chosen with the phone operator was all mixed up with the front desk staff. I had chosen the same three options for two nights and it took 3 trips to the front desk to finally get the correct package that I had asked for. There was also an attendant at the front desk named "Johnnie" that was having a heated discussion with a guest on the phone over a charge dispute. I thought that having a discussion like this was not appropriate in front of other guests who were checking in. The hotel itself is very nice and the indoor water park had tons of activities that my young children could enjoy. We loved visiting all of the shops and different snack bars. Camp Kalahari was very nice and my 4 yr old enjoyed the activities that were offered throughout our stay. One thing I would watch for is unauthorized charges to your credit card. I went to one of the retail shops with my $35 credit that I chose in my pkg and was charged that plus the balance on my card. I am still trying to get my refund for that. Overall, it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

My first impression of Kalahri was pretty good, because of the service-"bellhops" with safari caps greet you and even will even carry your luggage or push it on a cart to your room. The art work everywhere is pretty amazing as well. It's authentic, and gives the place a nice and tasteful feeling of Africa. No pink Hippos or green zebras here. Then there's the rooms. I noticed they're all different as I walked by on the ground level and could see in, so I think I happened to get the dullest one, from the looks of it. One, I do not like being on the highway, facing I90, listing to the semis pass by all night long. Two, there's some maintenance issues that seem to get overlooked between guest stays. Such as broken knobs or evidence of crappy patch jobs on the wall. Also cleanliness, toothpaste on the bathroom door, sticky stuff on the leather/vinyl couch, dusty pictures, and the ceiling fan is in need of a GOOD cleaning. Little things like that, that show evidence of past guests, and not very good attention to detail by cleaning crew really turns me off, especially after I've paid over four hundred+ for one nights stay; for the room, food, amenities and extra for the arcade. My personal view of the indoor water park, i couldnt turn around and get out fast enough. Not what i expected and deserves a second review for that alone. BUT, over all my kids loved it and had an excellent time, so that made it worth the money. I think next time, however, I'll be looking into another resort, with more quality furnishings, up to date facilities, bedding, etc., and definately more worth my money.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Helywe12
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
We certainly appreciate your thoughts and thank you very much for passing them along. I'm discouraged to hear you didn't enjoy your stay and of the maintenance issues. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our management team. If you do return, please don't hesitate to let us know, something is not up to your standards, we will do everything we can to go beyond your expectations. With over a dozen rooms styles, we have many options. I hope you will give us another shot and not only the kids, but yourself have a wonderful time. Take care and hope to see you again soon.
chicago
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We went to the kalhari a few weeks ago and loved it. We have in the past stayed at great wolf and chula vista but this place was the best. I loved that it had thrill rides for my two kids who were 14 and 11. It was also nice that you didnt have to leave the property. We ate at damons and loved it and also at another resteraunt in the lobby. I loved th amuesment park but there wasnt alot of actual rides but the ropes corse and rockwall were nice. The resort itself was really clean compared to other resorts we have stayed at. The tigers in the lobby were really cute but 40$ for 2 pictures with them is a bit outreagous. A downer was that the resort was very expensive. The food was good but overpriced and should maybe be lowered a bit. Also the gift shop prices to because 40$ for a sweat shirt is very overpriced. The last thing was we were in the sands buliding and it was a long walk throught the caltwalk and the parking lot which got annoying.Overall it was a nice expierence and we might come back if they lower the prices on there rooms.

1 Thank janice g
Thank you for coming to visit us and it was so great to hear you had a wonderful time. Our prices do vary greatly depending on the season. We have awesome deals on things like Buy one night, get the second night free to great deals on Suites. Hopefully you can find one and take advantage of that. The best place to look is on our site. We sincerely appreciate your thoughts and thank you so much for sharing. Take care and looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Went to the Kalahari Resorts in Wisconsin Dells for the first time on August 28 and 29. We live in Toronto, Ontario and are veterans of the Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls, but after staying here, I have to say we are now Kalahari converts!
The resort is absolutely huge with both indoor and outdoor waterparks, indoor theme parks, arcade, restaurants, bowling alley, etc...

Check in was quick and efficient. The rooms are very spacious and have microwave and fridge which are extremely handy when you are travelling with little ones.
If you have little ones, definitely try to stay in the main building and not the Sands Building as it's a long walk to the park and facilities. We stayed mid week and found the crowds size very good with very little line ups for pretty much all the rides.
We ate both buffet breakfast and dinner at the Great Karoo Restaurant and found the food excellent and quite reasonable. Didn't eat at the other restaurants so can't comment on the quality there.

I only have two complaints for the Kalahari. Many of the lifeguards weren't too friendly and some even didn't seem to care as they were sitting down on the floor while operating the controls for the rides. There was an exception as an older lifeguard with the moustache was very friendly and asking people how things were. When we go to Great Wolf, most of the lifeguards and workers seem much happier and smile more:) It's just makes the resort more welcoming.

The other problem and it's a serious problem was with the Sahara Sidewinder looping indoor water slide. This thing is a lawsuit waiting to happen as there is something wrong with the angulation of the drop. Your head smashes on the back as you drop from this ride. Eventhough you are told to put your hands behind your head, the force that your head smashes onto the back is severe enough to almost knock you out! I watched others go down the slide and seemed like everyone that I talked to said the same thing with virtually everyone shaking their head in pain afterwards. I'm pretty fit and take pain very well, but almost blacked and had a headache for an hour after this ride. I'm afraid that someone will be seriously hurt with this ride one day.
I wrote an email to Kalahari about this concern and hope they follow up on it. So if the Kalahari rep is reading this comment, please, please try to address this issue.

I definitely will be back to the Kalahari but will be avoiding this ride until they fix it:)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Thank you so much for giving us a try and taking the time to write a review. We are so excited to have as guests in the future as well. We certainly appreciate your thoughts and comments. The good and the bad! It's terrific guests like you that help us to pinpoint the areas we need to improve upon and create the best experience possible. I have already forwarded your review on to our Waterpark Director so he can evaluate your claims. Safety is our top priority and all of our rides go through the utmost thorough training. However, if you have a concern, we want to be sure to address that. Thank you again for everything. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Merrick, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We took our 7-year old to the Kalahari for a few days on our family vacation and had a great time. The water park is kept up well and there were lifeguards everywhere. 3 big outdoor pools, hot tub, 5 different water slides, lazy river and that was just the outdoor park. Indoors, there's slides, a lazy river, wave pool, hot tub. The indoor theme park has laser tag, bowling, mini golf, rope ladder, rock wall and games. The food is good and the staff is nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Certainly our pleasure to have you David. Thank you for visiting and taking the time to review us. I wanted to be sure to send a note letting you know how much we appreciate you. Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Take care!
Earlville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed at the Kalahari on a Friday night and took advantage of one of their "adult" packages. check in went great and smooth. everything that we got with our stay was labeled with our names and in an envelope (very organized). We got to check in our room early and took advantage of the waterpark. The wp was very clean and not crowded at all. Although some of the lifeguard looked like they did not want to be there, and we noticed multiple guards staring off into space, I felt pretty safe in there. The indoor amusement park was very nice as well. It was pretty loud but that's expected for that kind of atmosphere. Damons dinner was great. The manager let us use our free cocktails their, rather than at kahunaville which was nice. we stayed in the sands building and it was very quiet. the room was very nice until we noticed that the fireplace would not work. The TV would only play sound, and the whirlpool bath had 2/6 jets working. We went to the front desk and they had everything fixed within the hours. So kudos to the front desk/maintenance guys. The only minus is that you had to walk very far to the waterpark and amusement park. We drove once but it takes about the same time from where our room was located in accordance of the parking lots. Bartenders were very friendly and knowledgable. Overall a great trip.

Room Tip: The Sands building is very nice and quiet, but a long walk. Stay somewhere in the main building.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
We certainly appreciate having you visit Mitch, thank you! I apologize you had any issues with your room, but so glad to hear that it was all immediately fixed. I will be sure to pass this along to our team. We very much value your feedback. Looking forward to seeing you again soon! Take care and thanks much!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed at the Kalahari Resort August 25, 2012 for my sister's bachelorette party . We stayed in the Nomad Room ( sorry no pics, but it looks exactly as posted on their website) I had a blast . The resort is huge ! It has beautiful African/Safari decor , tons of shops , restaurants, helpful staff, and so much to do for everyone . I did not get the opportunity to utilize some of the cafes and other shops ( I will on my next getaway in October ) but what I experience was nice. We did eat at Moose Jaw ( highly recommended) and partied at Marley's . Overall I enjoyed my stay and I will be returning this fall with my husband .

Room Tip: Our room over looked the outdoor water park ( which closes by 7pm ) and we got a very good nights sl...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends