“Good Choice in the Dells”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Good Choice in the Dells”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here for a work conference, and had high expectations because the size and reputation of the place. I was not disappointed. I was in the Sands tower, which is a very long walk from the lobby and waterpark area. The property is HUGE, it has an indoor waterpark, outdoor waterpark, indoor theme park, movie theater and convention center. My room was clean and spacious, and included a fridge and microwave. It was quiet except for the person above me, who I think may have been aerobics with all that heavy footsteps. You'll be doing a lot of walking, so make sure you don't forget anything in your room! They have a few shops and food options in the lobby, most of which are overpriced. I visited an irresistable candy and sweets stand and got 4 pieces of chocolate for $13. I visited the indoor waterpark, which is still fun if you're an adult without children. The swim up bar was nice, but once again, overpriced. The staff from check-in to the waterpark staff were very friendly. There are many food options close to the resort as well, and the outlet mall is just across the street. I hope to someday go back, but would recommend going during the week so there aren't many people there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank mschuh03
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We're thrilled that you choose to stay with us for your work conference. More so, I'm thrilled that you were able to mix a little business with pleasure. We very much appreciate the feedback as well about the walking and pricing. The Sweet Hut is beyond delicious. Glad to know you noticed that too! Looking forward to seeing you again soon. Take care and thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our visit had definite highs and lows. The "highs" included short lines, lots of variety of things to do at the hotel, outdoor hot tub, swim up bar and the hotel was close to the outlet malls. We also had excellent service by an employee, Sara, in the store next to the registration desk that went above and beyond her role by helping us find a tiny screwdriver and put batteries in my son's new toy during her break time. The "lows" included the absolute worst sleeper couch I've ever experienced. It was really bad. You could feel every coil and it squeaked all night long every time you moved on it. We paid extra for a Nomad room so we could have the sleeper couch as my son and daughter both move around a lot in their sleep so it's best when they have their own beds. It was a complete waste of money. The other "low" of our vacation had to do with unruly next door neighbors who decided it was party time at 2:30am. Security eventually took care of it around 3 or 3:15am which was good but I never fell back asleep. When I brought it up with the front desk at check out, they laughed and said they heard about all the problems the night before and casually said "Sorry you had to deal with that." I also complained to the front desk about the horrible sleeper couch as it really was bad. My son did not sleep the first night and I did not sleep the second night. Both complaints fell on deaf ears. Luckily, we have not had such negative experiences in the past. However, I believe that most upscale hotels, concerned about their reputation and customer service in a competitive marketplace, would offer some sort of compensation. This was not the case. I hope they can train their front desk to have a little more empathy and concern in such a situation. We spent a lot of hard earned money for our short 2 night vacation and we expected a decent night sleep.

Room Tip: The sleeper couch we experienced in the Nomad room was TERRIBLE!
3 Thank snickes
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to review us! While I am glad to hear that everyone had fun within the waterpark and enjoyed the short lines of the off-season, I am discouraged to hear about your experience with the sofa-sleeper and the front desk reaction. I am more than happy to look further into this for you. Please feel free to email me some additional details at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. Likewise, I wanted to thank you for taking a moment to mention Sara. I will be sure to share your appreciated with her and her manager. We love the feedback. Thank you again for your thoughts. We very much appreciate it. Hope to hear from you soon!
Kiel, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

When we first walked in the Kalahari, we were struck with the amazing decorations and setup. Check-in was fast and easy. When we got to our room, we were surprised to see how spacious our room was (we stayed in a Desert Room). The room was very clean and organized.
The waterpark was spectacular. My daughter tried the Kalahari Surfari (a bodyboarding simulator) and loved it! There are paid lessons you can take to learn how to ride it, but my daughter just wanted the experience. The Sahara Sidewinder slides and the Screaming Hyena slide are sure to get your heart pounding! All the other slides at the park were very fun, too. (And the lines were not long at all). We loved the convenience of the various hot tubs around the park; they were great to relax in. The indoor/outdoor spa was really cool at night. Lights in the outdoor hot tub switch various colors, and are very vibrant. The only downfall of the waterpark was the lazy river. A good part of it was closed off, which was disappointing. Nothing seemed to be wrong with it, but guards were blocking off the entrances. Most of the lifeguards seemed to be in good spirits.
The indoor theme park was a nice experience also. There are numerous arcade games thoughout the park. My daughter went on the Revolution 360, which is a ride that rotates you 360 degrees while spinning you. She said it was fun, but part of the thrill was gone because you couldn't see where you were half the time. My daughter also went on the climbing wall. She enjoyed it, but found it relatively easy (she is 16). Our family also went mini golfing, which was fun, but nothing overly special. Maybe next time, we will buy the pass so we can try more things at the theme park.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will definately be returning to the Kalahari!

Room Tip: If you plan on using the waterpark/or theme park, make sure you find a room that is close so you don...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
We just loved having you! Thank you so much for taking a moment to review us! Certainly our pleasure to have you and we are beyond appreciative that you choose to share you experience. We did have some routine maintenance on the Lazy River, so I am that this negatively impacted your experience. The Ropes Course in the Indoor Theme Park is also a blast! One of my personal favorites is the XD Dark Ride. That simulator is fun to compete with everyone on. We can't wait to see you again! Thank you so much for sharing!
Madison, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Check-in is slow, be prepared to walk and walk and walks - this place is huge and very spread out. You can stay indoors, but there are some long treks which can be chilly is you've been in the water. Noise in the water park is monstrous just from the water noise and then add screaming kids. You have to enter he waterpark through locker rooms and the women's was messy and didn't feel particularly clean (lots of litter, puddles, etc.). We were there for a conference and during the week when schools were in session, but still lots of running, screaming kids including in the hallway outside our room. Lots of wasted space in the room and the bathroom is miniscule - toilet crammed up next to the wall. Although the room could potentially sleep 6 (2 beds and a foldout couch), there were only 2 chairs and a small table.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for coming to visit us during your conference. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the noise levels throughout the resort and the negative impression the size of our facility left on you. With everyone under one roof, some of the walking can be quite a haul. Please don't hesitate to let us know your preference and we will do our best to accommodate you with room placement. Not always guaranteed nor are some room styles available in certain areas, but happy to help the best we can. I will also confirm that all of our noise signs are placed appropriately. Thank you for connecting with us! I hope that we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We just returned from our stay at the Kalahari and had an awesome time! We stayed Th to Friday thanks to no school due to conferences so check in right at 4pm was a breeze with no wait. We stayed in a Royal 1 bedroom/2 bathroom suite which was huge, well decorated and spotless. Our kids said it was even nicer than Disney World (and we have a Disney timeshare). The water park was perfect for our children who ranged from 5 to 13. There was plenty to do for everyone! The theme park wristband includes laser tag, rock climbing, Ferris wheel, mini golf, virtual ride/game, go karts, Atomic rush and a couple of other things. We had a blast trying everything! We have stayed at Great Wolf, Wilderness and Chula Vista and this is by far the best of those. The staff was friendly, the resort and rooms were very clean and well maintained and the water park and theme park were perfect for any age! Wish we could have states longer!

• Stayed November 2013
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Everyone was very friendly and professional. I can see how management is focusing on customer service. Starting from check-in to check out, I was extremely happy how your entire team operates. Everyone seem to smile, greet when they see you. Kalahari Wisconsin should be a model on how family oriented resort should operate. Good job Kalahari!

Hurley, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and two kids checked in for a two night stay. I was on business and my wife and kids were going to enjoy the water park and other fun things. We talked through the front door and our kids were in love. After 20 minutes of nail biting pain, we were finally checked in. This was not acceptable. They needed a larger staff and some sort of supervision to see that things moved quickly. This did not bode well to such a grand place and set the tone for a terrible start to a vacation. They really need to work on this.

Once we checked in, we walked around for ten minutes looking for an elevator that was supposed to be, "right around the corner" according to the front desk. We stopped two different staff members and asked where to go and both stories were different. By now, my blood pressure was at an all time high when out of the blue a older gentleman with a Kalahari jacket on saw that we were lost and he led us right to our room. This guy saved the day and they should be proud of him. What a saint.

Other than the poor check in, the place is nice. It is rather large and a bid disorganized but that comes with the territory when trying to fit too much in a foot print that is just too small. Poor planning by the developers. The moral of the story is that we would certainly come again if we got a good rate and a nice room. You will not go wrong by staying here but it is expensive!

Room Tip: If you are staying for a convention or conference, ask for a room next to the conference, if you are...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
While I'm thrilled to hear that overall your trip was fun, I am discouraged to hear about your welcome and the check in process. Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. I am glad that someone was able to find you and get you to your room. I can certainly understand that situation being frustrating. I would love to put you in touch with our management team so that we can learn from your experience. Can you please email me your contact info at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com? Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Take care!