“Winter Family Fun”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were looking for somewhere in the Midwest to go have some winter fun, this was the perfect place. We have two children, ages 13 and 17. They didn't miss their electronics for 4 days and 3 nights. There is a ton to do! Water Park admission is included in the fee for the hotel. We paid extra to get the family fun package, which included: 2 days of free breakfast buffets for all 4 of us, a $20 spa credit, a $50 credit at any hotel restaurant, a free pizza and 4 sodas, a free game of bowling for 4, and 4 theme park passes that were good for our entire stay. We used everything but the spa credit. The theme park passes were great! The kids loved the all you can mini golf, lazier tag, rock climb, go-carts, Ferris wheel, and ropes course. The water park had and indoor/outdoor hot tub that was very fun in December. You could get into the hut tub inside the building and just walk outside in the water. We loved that you didn't have to get in and out of the water outside. There were multiple indoor water slides that were fun for all ages. There was a hot tub bar that my husband enjoyed. The buffet was surprisingly good! My husband, who normally complains about buffet style dining even commented that it was pretty good. We tried eating at the Ivory Coast, one of the hotel restaurants, it was disgusting and over priced - STAY AWAY. The food was greasy and cold. We also tried some of the other hotel restaurants, they were all ok. We did have food delivered from UNO Chicago. Overall, the Kalahari had tons for us to do and stay busy. Other than the breakfast buffet, I would recommend getting your food elsewhere.

Room Tip: We choose the Royal African suite, probably could have saved a little and gone with just the African...
2  Thank Maloneymoni
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am happy to hear your teenagers and your husband all had a fantastic time at Kalahari Resort. I am also pleased you were able to spend the day in the Indoor Theme Park. The mini golf, lazier tag, rock climb, go-carts, Ferris wheel, and ropes course all offer hours and hours of entertainment. Sometimes booking those packages from our website which include credits to certain outlets are the best deals. It's so nice you were able to take advantage of one. The Indoor Waterpark offers many hours of fun as well. Those indoor/outdoor hottubs are a fun way to uniquely experience the winter weather within the comfort of the warm hottub. Thanks again for the awesome review and we'll see you back again soon!

There are newer reviews for Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is the second year in a row we have spent the Christmas holidays at the Kalahari. It is a great place for the family with kids of all ages. This is the first trip for my one year old granddaughter to join us. We all had a great time. The resort is conveniently located to the highway, outlet mall and ski hills. But if you don't want to venture outdoors, there is plenty to do within the resort for "kids" of all ages. There is a wonderful Christmas buffet offered, which we have participated in both years we were staying, the only negative is being the holidays, it seemed to take housekeeping all day to get to our rooms. It was so late in the day that we just told them to take the garbage and leave clean towels. Great family place! Must hit the outdoor hot tub in the winter months! Totally awesome!

Room Tip: We stayed in the condos away from the crowds. Very nice and roomy for 6 adults and 3 kids. Roomy and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

It's so nice to hear that you had a wonderful stay over the Christmas Holiday with us. Thank you for choosing Kalahari for a second Christmas and I hope you stay with us agin in the future. How wonderful that your granddaughter was able to take advantage of the Waterpark as well. It's also nice that you were able to take a trip around to some of the surrounding attractions, like the outlet mall across the street. I hope you enjoyed the Christmas Buffet for your second year in a row! Take care an we'll see you next year!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We made our reservation for Christmas day to Sunday the 29th of December. I called in November and dropped the first night knowing we wouldn't get in until late Christmas day. The lady on the phone was very helpful and switched the reservation for us. She told me we would have a credit of 11.73 coming back to us. She asked if I wanted her to mail it or I could just wait until we checked in and get it. I told her we would get it when we checked in. She confirmed our reservation dates and sent me an email showing the credit. The total for the 3 nights was 902.97 this was for an average room that also included a pizza and 4 pops, a game of bowling, and the amusement park tickets for our family of four. When I checked in the young man at the counter told me I owed 221.00. I told him no we have a credit and I can get the email and confirmation number showing him the credit. He went and got the manager Rick. Rick told us that he would have to check into it but to go ahead and get us our room and he would call me when he got things figured out. That night at about 8 he called and said he was unable to get ahold of his boss but he would let us know first thing in the morning. The next day I went to the front desk at 10:00 am to see what was going on. They still hadn't heard anything. I was told they would call me. At around 3 I called they still knew nothing. At 8:30pm that night Rick called us and stated they found the phone conversation between the reservation lady and me and that she clearly told me there would be a refund coming to us. He said he would give all this information to his boss and get back to me. The NEXT day at 9:00 PM I got a call from rick saying that they had made a mistake and we still owe this additional 221.00 or we would have to leave. I told him even though this was their mistake and I had all the emails stating they owed ME money and they listened to the phone call with the lady telling us they owed us we had to leave. I told him we already paid 914.70 for three nights and they wanted 221.00 more. I told him with this being Christmas we didn't have it in our budget to pay ALMOST 1200.00 for a 3 night stay He did say that it was their mistake and he was sorry but we still owed the additional money. We drove the 6 hours back home a day early. We paid 914.70 for a two night stay at Kalahari. There are so many other great places to choose from in Wisconsin Dell. We will never stay at Kalahari and have informed many people to choose a different Wisconsin Dell resort. Even with every bit of paperwork, confirmation numbers, and the recorded phone calls they still didn't care about us they cared about taking more money.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank TBS1978

We so very much appreciate your time to reach out to us. I am so, so very sorry to hear about your experience. Please make no mistake, we have taken your concerns and situation very seriously. I have connected with our management team. Our management team will be reaching out to you today. If you are unable to connect with them today or need anything further, please don't hesitate to connect with me directly and I will be sure to help. KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com Thank you again for your time and connecting with us. I look forward to an acceptable resolution soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

In all the resort is great for family's. It has all the amenities. The food is reasonable and good. The rooms are ok. We are staying in the royal Africa queen suite. It's not as nice as I expected. It's larger than a normal room but the quality is not that great. When I pay $350 a night for a suite I expect a bit more.

Stayed: December 2013

We so very much appreciate the feedback and coming to visit us! I will be sure to pass along your feedback on the Royal African Queen Suite. Please know that if your room is not in line with your expectations while on property, please don't hesitate to let us know. We will do our best to accommodate you where we can. Likewise, we do have over a dozen room styles, we might be able to find one that better suites your needs. We are more than happy to help with this. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the near future!

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We recently stayed at the Kalahari resort with my husband and 2 daughters 17,21 during a shopping week-end. I felt for what they charge per night plus the amenity fee's, it was overpriced for the amenities we used. This property would be more fun for the 7-14 age group. we had a standard room with 2 queen beds and pull-out sofa sleeper. The beds were comfortable and the room was large with a microwave and fridge. There were wrappers on the side of the sofa sleeper from a previous guest, so housekeeping isn't the best. The carpeting in the general area was worn and needed to be cleaned. Bellman was courteous and helpful. We would not stay here again, mostly because we have grown out of the water park.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Sounds like you had a fun shopping weekend. Thank you for taking a moment to review us and staying with us! I am sorry to hear that your family has outgrown the waterpark. We have made several improvements to accommodate all age groups, such as the swimup bar and our thrilling rides on Tufani Falls. Hopefully you were able to try these out. Thank you for letting us know of your housekeeping issues. I will be sure to pass this along to our Housekeeping Director for review. We appreciate you letting us know. I do hope that as you return to the Dells, you find yourself visiting us again. I know it would certainly be our pleasure to have you as our guest again. Take care and have a wonderful New Year.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Checked in for a 2-night stay, Room 4482 could use a little love. Both clocks were flashing/unset, batteries for TV remote in bedroom were dead, the wire to hang swim suits to dry didn't work, looks like there's a burger on balcony & the shower heads were not set on spray and took some time to adjust. Room is dated, but spacious. But, it was nice to have the separate room for the kids. There is noise from the highway. Water park, arcade, laser tag, hair braiding, cabana and golf were all fine. The air quality in the water park is always an issue. It seemed much better further inside the park, probably because of the accesses to the outdoor hot tubs allows for some fresh air. The service overall was wonderful. A biggest highlight was dinner at Double Cut, do not miss out. It is a Must -do!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hi Julie! Certainly our pleasure to have you as our guest again. Thank you for taking a moment to review us. I am sending a team to 4482 to look into the little things that we can improve. We appreciate that information so we can adjust it for the next guest. I apologize this was not perfected for your stay with us. I will share you comment with our waterpark manager of the air quality. If there are any changes we can make, I will be sure he evaluates those right away. Love that you loved Double Cut! We are pretty proud of Double Cut and so excited to share! Thank you for the feedback. Our team in Double Cut will love hearing this. Looking forward to seeing you again in the future. Take care and thank you for the feedback!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

We love coming to the Kalahari! Even after just being there we are already making plans to go back. Highly recommend staying there. Also the restaurant Double Cut that is connected to the Kalahari had the best steak and cheesecake we have ever had next time we are there twill be the only place we will bother to go eat at.

• Stayed: December 2013
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

That is awesome that you are already making plans to stay with us again! It thrills me to hear you had such a wonderful visit. Double Cut Charcoal Grill & Liquor Bar is our newest addition to Kalahari Wisconsin Dells. We are proud of it and cannot wait to have you back during your next stay. Take care and thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on Kalahari Resort.