“Great Place for New Year's”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Place for New Year's”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Kalahari Wisconsin Dells was a great place to celebrate New Year's with a family. Very nice hotel. New Year's Eve party with a DJ focused on adults and kids was well done, especially balloon drop at midnight. The indoor water park was fun. Sitting in the hot tub bar while watching the Winter Classic and the Rose Bowl, while the weather was COLD outside, was a unique experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 3 January 2014

A group of us went to Kalahari for New Year's Eve and rented a Nyumba house with 5 bedrooms!! It was huge and really nice (two fireplaces, a bar, theater center, large updated kitchen). The group had an awesome time going to the water park and we then we spent the evening at the Indoor Theme Park. Also, their new restaurant, Double Cut is fantastic and was such a great dinner on NYE! There was a ton to do for all ages and the staff is the best. Very accommodating! We will definitely do it again!!

Room Tip: The Nyumba village houses can accommodate up to 22 people!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula H
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Kalahari Resort was the perfect destination for us to share with our daughter's family for a New Years' getaway. A fully equipped family gathering space/kitchen served as the hub to our adjoining rooms. All eight of us enjoyed the sturdy game table and each other learning new games and making memories. Complete sets of dinner and glassware, a dishwasher, stove and full sized refrigerator made it feel just like home! The sleeping rooms provided just the right separation for both privacy and togetherness. The children loved the Water Park and Indoor Theme Park which provided activity options for everyone's level. The New Year's buffet included healthy and hearty choices, a dedicated children's island with their favorites, and everyone's favorite chocolate fountain with pretzels and rice-krispie bars for dipping.

With the temperature outside below zero, we especially appreciated the skywalks connecting our rooms to all the action. We had visited Kalahari years ago, and were impressed with the improvements. The beds were very comfortable, and decorating had been tastefully updated to the African theme. We'll be coming back for sure!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Check in time at hotel is 4pm. We arrived at 5pm but our room was not ready until 7:30pm! That same evening we tried to order room service but the phone kept ringing and ringing. I tried to ask the front desk for assistance and they just said they didn't know what was going on and transferred me to another number that went to voicemail. We had to order from a place outside the resort. On our second day our room never was cleaned. I started calling the front desk at 7:30pm asking for it to be cleaned and at least for fresh towels but nobody arrived. I asked to speak to a manager but again nobody arrived. It is now 8:30pm and we still haven't had our room clean. The water park is awesome to visit but I would never recommend that anyone stay at the resort. They are obviously understaffed and poorly managed.

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank travelg102795
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
I am so very sorry to hear about your experience. I will be more than happy to look into this for you! I would certainly welcome the opportunity to learn from your experience. Based on your TripAdvisor ID, I was unable to pinpoint your reservation. Would you please be able to email me your contact information directly to KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com? As you expected, this is not how we at Kalahari pride ourselves on our guest experience. I do hope that I have the opportunity to connect with you soon in regards to your stay. Take care and thank you for reaching out to us!
Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We love the Wisconsin Dells and had stayed at the Kalahari for years twice a year. Over the years we have seen it deteriorate on many fronts. We checked in and needed to change rooms immediately because it smelled like a stinky gym sock. No apologies at the front desk- terrible service! On Saturday night, the waitress at Ivory Coast used our debit card to ring up another table's bill for $461. We brought the mistake to their attention and they charged us the $30 and assured us the charge didn't go through. We went back to our room and that amount was indeed authorized and we had to fish through the garbage to get the receipt that we did not sign. That took 3 and a half hours. The next morning, the General manager, Greg Sherrill said he was going to " take care of our next stay at New Years". After 5 days we finally got our $461 back. 3 weeks later I received an email stating that the staff "voted" and they hope we come back. If the General manager has no integrety- it explains alot. Trust us and head to The Wilderness resort so you can ENJOY your vacation! Beware of The Kalahari resort in the Dells!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Touhy
While I am sorry to hear about your stay and experience, I am even more discouraged to hear your thoughts of our team. I will be sure to pass along your thoughts to our housekeeping team about the smell you experienced and lack of stay-over cleaning service. Thank you for letting us know so we can look into that and make improvements. For your credit card authorization, you worked with our Rooms Division Director and not the General Manager. As you noted, he, along with our management team, looked into your concerns. I am sorry to hear the outcome did not end as you would have expected. I will be sure to share you dissatisfaction with our team. Again, I thank you for providing this feedback. Take care and thank you for passing along your thoughts.
Hainesville, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our third stay at the Kalahari, and the second for New Year's. The New Year's Eve buffet was great. It had many delicious food options, from freshly fried Wisconsin cheese curds, to bacon wrapped shrimp and lots of desserts, including champagne ice cream lollipops.
The Great Karoo has a much better selection for breakfast than years past. It now includes an omelet station, baked ham, lots of fruits, tasty pancakes, and smoothies.
The kids enjoyed the theme park, which was included in our package. It has lazer tag, go-karts, rock climbing, a rope course, mini-golf and many other activities included.
The water park is big. It has indoor and outdoor (which we have not visited yet) parks. The indoor park has plenty of room, with a large wave pool and lazy river, lots of slides, and a section just for babies and another for young kids.
We had a great experience and we will probably come back next for New Year's Eve celebration again in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the third floor, so you don't get any "stompers". Noise from run...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chaska, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to take our kids, 9 & 11 to this resort on a whim this week for a few days because it's winter break and too cold to play outside! First, being a last minute trip, the only available room was the Hut room. It had two queen beds and a small bathroom with a vanity outside the bathroom. Small, but clean. Not much time spent in the room anyway. The water park was HUGE with plenty of action. I will start by saying there were plenty of lifeguards and I never saw any of them screwing around like other places I have been. They were always watching the water and it appeared they took their jobs seriously. Besides the regular body slides and tube slides this park has a "water coaster" and three of those super tall, super fast body slides that you get in and the floor falls out from underneath you. Thrilling! I was a fan of the indoor swim up bar in a hot tub. You can go between inside and outside through an opening in the wall. We ate at the pool for lunch one of the days. The food was actually pretty good. Lunch for a family of four was $44.00. We had dinner once at the buffet. It cost around $50.00. Fine selection of food there. New Year's Day we had breakfast at the buffet and it was cheaper for breakfast and I would say it was really great. Lots of selections and tasty muffins. We also splurged on Double Cut, the new steakhouse. The service was excellent and the meal was very good. My husband said his filet was not the best he has ever had but his lobster bisque was full of giant chunks of Lobster. I enjoyed the prime rib. We spent an extra $25.00 per person for access to the indoor amusement park while we were there. There is plenty there to do for the cost of the wristband such as go carts, a Ferris wheel, ropes course, climbing wall. Mini golf and more! There is also bowling for an extra charge.

We have been to the Wilderness Resort and I would say that if it was summer, we would choose the Wilderness Resort because it has more to do outside and I like the separate cabins you can rent. But I will say if you are looking for indoor fun for a few days, the Kalahari is a winner.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family