“Poor Service”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I recently went to Kalahari on my first visit with my daughter and 2 granddaughters. We were attending my granddaughter's cheer competition. We arrived at 2:00 and stood in line for half an hr. waiting to register, only to be told rooms were not ready and we would be staying in the Sands across the street. Girls were disappointed that we weren't in main building (considering this was March and we had made our reservations in August!) And by the way they had our first night's room rent since August! Went to the Sands building to get our keys and waited for another 1/2 hr. just to pick up keys...only 2 people working this desk with hundreds waiting! Left parking to get something to eat only to find no parking available for the Sands when we returned! Had to park over a block and a half away and walk! I would think a large resort could provide some kind of guaranteed parking for their guests close to where they are staying! Our room was adequate although they look a bit worn for the price! Our refrigerator froze everything and our microwave looked ancient...it would not pop popcorn! The worst was our last morning there. We awoke to find no hot water! Called the desk to be told they were working on it. Called again around 10:00 and still no hot water! We had 4 people waiting to get ready (one who had a cheer performance soon) and no way to shower or do hair! Check out is 11:00 so they did extend our checkout time until 1:00 which really didn't solve the shower problem. We were told they would bring us new room keys as ours deactivated at 11:00 but no one ever showed up with the keys! We made do as best we could with cold water and went to the performance! When I went to the front desk in the Sands there was only 1 person handling the desk. When I asked to speak to a manager I was told there wasn't one there and I would have to go to the main building. At the main building there were again long lines at the front desk! After waiting for approx. half an hour I finally talked to a supervisor! I was told there wasn't much he could do except to take a small percent off the last night's stay! I don't think I would ever plan to return to this resort!

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a room in the main building unless you enjoy walking!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for coming to visit us for your daughter's cheer competition. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not goes as expected. Our Hut Rooms, Lodge Suites, Combination and Village Suites are those that are found within the Sands Building. All the rest can be found in the resort. I am sorry you did not receive this information prior to make your room selection. I hope that you were able to make use of the skywalk to go back and forth between the Sands and the Resort. Likewise, I do hope that your room within the Sands was more convenient as you needed access to the Convention Center. I know typically this is helpful for most Convention guests. Again, I apologize you did not see it as such. I am sorry to hear about the hot water. There was an issue within the building we had to correct as soon as we could. I am sorry this negatively impacted you. I will be sure to share all of your thoughts with our team. Again, I hope that throughout the weekend, you were able to have some fun as well and make some positive memories. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do remain in hopes that we will see you again.

There are newer reviews for Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband, our one year old and I stayed at Kalahari for two nights. The waterpark is amazing! We had previously stayed at Great Wolf, where there waterpark is broken up into different sections. Kalahari is nice because it's all one great big room. There is a lot to do for all ages. We did go to the breakfast buffet where our waitress was very slow. We didn't have silverware for the first 10 minutes we were sitting, and no cream for our coffee was ever brought. But the food was very good and there is a lot to choose from. We also got our picture taken with a baby tiger in the lobby! The theme park is fun as well, our child is a bit young for all the activities. But we will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: The sands building is a little far from everything. But they are not necessarily the cheapest rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

We're so thankful that you have given us a try. Thank you so much for visiting us and taking a moment to review our resort. It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guest. While I'm glad you enjoyed the food and options, I am sorry to hear about your waitress. I will be sure to share that with our manager. We can't wait to see you and the family again! Take care!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We spent Spring Break at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, WI. The rate was extremely reasonable. There was so much to do. Many activities in the Lobby including a newborn tiger. The amusement park was awesome. So many fun activities and the employees went out of their way to help out and answer questions. The water park was huge and a great place for kids. The rooms were very clean and the service from the front desk was outstanding! There are many restaurants all around the resort to choose from if you are more into fast food. We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Check out the Kalahari Resort website for specials and pics of the rooms are included. The 800 numbe...
1  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is our third year staying at the Kalahari for a cheer competition. The last 2 times were ok but the service this time was ridiculous! Especially for the insane prices they charge for rooms. Checked in first night to find one of our beds had no sheets. Called front desk twice and finally had sheets delivered an hour later. It was 11:30pm though and kids sleeping so I had to make the bed myself. Then apparently the refridgerator in the room wasn't working because all our soda froze and exploded in it. Fortunately housecleaning came and cleaned it but we were out a half case of drinks because of it. Then on second day housecleaning forgot to clean our bathroom...............no towels, shampoo, conditioner etc...... so Third time calling front desk, this time to send up towels. Next morning I realized they hadn't left coffee either so I had to buy coffee which was not cheap. THEN on day 3 NO HOT WATER! I heard the whole "Sands" building was out of hot water in fact. Seriously when you pay $250+ a night for a room you expect certain things to be provided. I asked for a manager but was told she was unavailable. Left explanation and my cell # but did not recieve a call back. Save your money and stay at one of the cheaper hotels near by and buy waterpark passes. We will NOT return for a hotel stay.

1  Thank Charlene P
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience staying with us. More so, I am discouraged to hear about the service you encountered while visiting. As this is clearly far from our promise we make to our guests, I would certainly love the opportunity to look into this for your. Would you please email me your contact info and we can connect? KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. I am aware of the this rare hot water issue we encountered, however the rest of your experience is certainly disappointing. I would love to connect and show you the level of customer service you would not only expect but rather deserve. I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you and take care!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

stayed at the Kalahari about 3 weeks ago, absolutely wonderful.There is so much to do and the staff is extremely friendly,especially housekeeping,very clean rooms.We also went upstairs to the bowling alley and the bartenders were very friendly also.(made outstanding drinks)Bev in the pbx was also very courteous and helpful.Thank you to everyone down there

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Were so glad that you were able to make your way around the resort! I know Bev will love reading your review. Thank you for sharing. I have already passed this along to her! We can't wait to see you again! Take care and hope that we see you sooner, rather than later.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The good: Waterpark is nice. We like the fact the Indoor Park is in one location, unlike Wilderness. The Arcade and Attractions are very good.
The Bad: No Hot Water for showers. This just wasn't isolated to our room but throughout the "Sands". Service in restaurants was extremely slow. Took nearly 20 minutes to get seated for a table of 2 for lunch despite at least 1/2 the tables being open (IvoryCoast). Be forewarned they have a 11am checkout which doesn't leave much time in the morning on the last day. If you request a late check out, expect a condescending response....we have stayed here twice and Wilderness twice....based upon this latest experience, we will most likely avoid Kalahari until they figure out how to provide better guest service.

• Stayed: March 2014

We appreciate you visiting us again! Thank you for taking a moment to review us. I am sorry to hear about your latest stay with us. I will be more than happy to pass along your comments to our team. I would love to look into the condescending remarks your received and delay in service at the Ivory Coast. Could you please email me your contact info when you have a moment? KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. Thank you again for your time and sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We spent 2 nights at Kalahari for the first time this past week. My husband and I visited the theme park a couple of years ago, but had never stayed on property, and had never seen the water park. We stayed in the lodge suite with our 2 sons (7 and 4), and it was extremely clean and well worth what we paid (we did get a special rate that was running). The fireplace was awesome since it was so cold outside, and it was a great place to relax after a long day of fun! We went with three other families who stayed in hut rooms, and there were no complaints from them either. The workers in all of the shops and at the front desk were all very friendly. The Sweet Hut was pricey, but the goodies were delicious! We will definitely return and would highly recommend to others, especially if you can stay for a special or discounted rate.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

We love that we were able to host you and three other families. Certainly our pleasure to have all of you as our guest. I just wanted to be sure to send you a note, thanking you for your time and patronage. So very appreciated. We can't wait to see you again soon. Take care!