“Fun for kids... not for mom's who like cleanliness”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Dollar Bay, Michigan
“Fun for kids... not for mom's who like cleanliness”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at the Kalahari for a gymnastic meet this past weekend. Upon entering our room, we had a dirty/wet towel on the nightstand between the two beds and the floor was clearly not vacuumed. After calling the front desk to ask for housekeeping, blood was found on the bedding of one of the beds. Housekeeping was quick to come up to vacuum the room and remove the dirty towel; however, when asked about the blood on the bedding, I was told by the housekeeper that the bedding was not changed!!!!! She did change the bedding on the one with blood; however she did not on the other bed. After she left we noticed that there was some white liquid-like streaks on the window and the bathtub was filthy. That evening after enjoying the waterpark, I did go to the front desk to let them know of my concerns and was treated very rudely by the night supervisor. She asked me what I expected since housekeeping had already taken care of the bedding/vacuuming. I explained that when you are paying $300+ for a room, that you expect it to be clean, and I also expressed my sincere concern with the fact that the bedding was not changed. I left the front desk feeling worse than I did before going. The next morning a manager, Kyle, called as he had heard about our complaints and was kind enough to provide our family of 6 with indoor amusement park tickets along with an additional waterpark ticket, which we all enjoyed very much; however, I would have serious reservations about reserving at this hotel in the future do the the uncleanliness we experienced. I hope that it is not the host hotel for our gymnastics meet next year.

1 Thank Angel C
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
While we most certainly appreciate you visiting us for your daughters Gymnastics meet, however, I am sorry to hear about your recent visit and the cleanliness of your room. That is most certainly unacceptable. I am glad to hear that Kyle was able to take care of you while on property. He is wonderful. I will have Kyle touch base with you again soon, to ensure you don't have any hesitation about returning in the future with us. I know we loved having you and the kids had a blast, so we hope to see you again! Thank you again for reaching out to us! I can ensure I will be addressing this with our housekeeping as well having Kyle touch base again. Take care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Staying at the Kalahari is always great. All the staff's are friendly and helpful. lots of stuff to do there. It was raining all weekend while we were there but it didn't effect is much cause they have just about everything there. Only thing missing is a grocery store and you wouldn't have to leave the resort at all. Just wish they have more rides in their indoor theme park. But very satisfy with the stay.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was my family's first time staying at this particular resort. We were impressed by the staff, facilities, and our stay in general. Great scenery and beautiful art work all around the resort. There were 6 children with us under the age of 8. Without a doubt, they enjoyed the resort the MOST! :) The adults loved the waterpark as a whole. So much to do for each of the children and we felt they were in a safe environment and there was enough for them to do to feel independent and still allow us to watch them closely. I liked the swim bar,especially the big screens to keep up with sports. The food, it was quick and there were plenty enough options. The 1 downside of the food, during our stay, on a Saturday afternoon, the Zulu Grill was not opened which made it a bit of a hassle to leave the waterpark to get something to eat. The rooms were clean and quiet enough for us to get to sleep after a hard day at play. Loved that we were able to play in the park before our room was even ready. Thanks for selling the Chocolate Shoppe Ice cream! :) They sell THE BEST Blue Moon and my daughter and I enjoyed a cone during our stay.

Now for the cons (unfortunately, yes there were some). Sunday Morning, April 27th, our group of 10 (4 adults, 6 children) went to Ivory Coast around 10a.m. to have breakfast. My sister asked the hostess, I wish i had gotten her name, for a table for 10. The hostess looked around the restaurant, which granted, was busy, but there were still opened seats, and she said, "Sorry don't think we'll be able to accommodate a group of 10." Seemed odd to us because 1. There were several empty tables, even nearby each other (easy enough to push a few together to allow seating) and 2. there were several other families dining for breakfast. I get that a restaurant can only help so many big groups at once, BUT I would expect a restaurant at a family themed resort would be able to accommodate even more. It was very off-putting to say the least. We had Mark for a server and for a family of ten, he did not write down any of our orders. I was not impressed, as I thought something would be missed and several things were. It took over 30 minutes for us to get our food. Outside my order for the breakfast burger, everything else was typical...pancakes/bacon/hashbrowns/eggs..nothing over the top different from normal breakfast. When we did get our food, everything was lukewarm. Other families around us had already had their orders, so it wasn't a timing issue, meaning we were all big families waiting. To state the obvious, the breakfast at Ivory Coast was definitely a downside and as we left, all adults agreed next time we would just go to either the buffet or Cracker Barrell.

I would also suggest considering a cardfree/paperless environment. I have stayed at other Resorts that allow for keyless entry into your room or rather, the waterpark bracelet served as they key with an easy swipe. It was also our method of payment during the stay. Took away the need fo carrying around money, keycard, credit cards and the like. Also, we found it strange that the waterpark closed at 10p.m. on a Saturday night. I thought at least it would be open until 11.

As I said in the beginning, overall our stay was great. The staff were very courteous and friendly. Making sure to say hello and "how's your stay?" and seem genuine about it. We definitely enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
I'm so thrilled to hear that you group of 10 had a blast! We love having the ability to accommodate everyone of all ages. Thank you so much for taking a moment to share! While everything sounded awesome, I do want to apologize for your dining experience at Ivory Coast. I would love to connect you to our Food & Beverage Director in regards to this, so that he can make this correction and not have this impact your stay again. Could you please email directly at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com? Thank you for your lovely suggestion about keyless entry to a room. We have been researching this and hopefully can find some great solutions. Love that you support our direction. Hoping to hear from you soon and furthermore see the whole group again soon! Take care!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My family loves this hotel everyone was helpful and caring no things went wrong and we did not want to leave my kids love it everyone in my family thought it was the best water park marks the awesome side

Room Tip: 2 room works when you have 5 or more to relax with fun
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was our first time staying at Kalahari. We were staying for an event so our price was discounted. I think the full price per night is a little high but it seems all prices in the Dells seem to be skyrocketing over the years. The room was large, spacious and clean. The trainee who checked us in was extremely knowledgeable and went out of her way to answer our questions even after she was done working for the day. I was very surprised how not crowded the waterpark was for a Saturday evening. It was nice to not have long lines to stand in and not bump into someone every step of the way. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed April 2014
I wanted you to know how much we appreciate you giving us a try and we are so thankful that you choose us for your event! I'm also thrilled to hear like we have a front desk keeper! So glad that she could accommodate you. Looking forward to seeing you next year. Thank you for such awesome feedback! Take care!
Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We come here a couple times a year. The kids love the waterpark and theme park. They love the newer rides that were added in the theme park. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Staff is very friendly. The only thing that could use improvement is the cafe near the pool. The one in the pool was closed and the one outside didn't have food ready so we were always waiting for them to make our food.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We certainly love having you and the kids! Thank you for sharing! I will be sure to pass along your thoughts about Safari Snacks, but aside from that, can't wait to see you again soon! Take care and until next time.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was our second trip to the Dell's, but our first stay at Kalahari. It was great. When we checked in the lady was a trainee I almost feel like we learned together but she was very friendly. The water park was awesome the kids had a blast. We loved our room as it was like a small apartment. The only critique that we had was that there was no dust pan in the kitchen. There was a broom but no dust pan? It made cleaning the floors more of a workout. We would definitely stay again and recommend others to do the same.

• Stayed April 2014
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
How wonderful to have you return to the Dell's again, and furthermore visit us! The Lodge Suite is amazing for a getaway. So glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilities. On a side note, I will be sure to connect with our Housekeeping team to ensure we have dust pans in all the rooms. Yes, you are right, there seems like something was missing there :) Thank you for letting us know! Can't wait to see you again soon!