“A great place for family fun!”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is one of our favorite places in Wisconsin Dells, well, the favorite place for water park fun! The resort/hotel is a really nice and clean property that offers onsite shopping and many dining options as well. The indoor water park has pretty decent entertainment for all ages, especially for younger kids. Adjoining theme park has some nice rides as well. Since it was too cold while we were out there, we didn't get out and try any of the outdoor rides at all. One little issue and hence I didn't give this place a 5 star rating is that the day we were going to check out, the housekeeping came knocking on the door at least 3 times before the check out time of 11 am, which I found very annoying!

We traveled with another family and had a pretty decent deal which included passes for the adjoining theme park and also to their new Timbavati wildlife Theme park, which I highly recommend to visit.

Our room was on the fourth floor with adequate facility such as coffee maker, a small fridge. We were in the Desert room which are very spacious with two double beds and a sofa. We like spending time in the water park, as compared to staying put inside the room, so were very satisfied with the value that we got out of our trip.

1  Thank Dee1412
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for the detailed review from your family's recent trip to Kalahari Resort. When booking with package deals, it's so nice when they include a little something extra, like Theme Park Passes. Bonus! I apologize about the housekeeping issue around check-out. That is not how we run our normal procedures here and I will look into this to make sure it will not happen again.
I am so happy to hear that the Desert Room was nice and spacious for you. All in all, it sounds like both families had a great getaway with us. Take care and we hope to see you all back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,942)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We purchased the 2 night family package and stayed July 2-4. We had 4 kids ages 17-3. The weather was chilly the first 2 days, so we stayed mostly in the indoor waterpark. There is plenty to do inside, just not quite what we wanted for July.

Our packaged included food credits, which were a huge plus! The breakfast buffet would have cost $80 alone, which is quite ridiculous, but expected at a resort. We also got bowling and indoor theme park passes. The kids were never out of things to do. We will definitely stay at the Kalahari again.

But some negative reviews: We stayed in room 3200. Upon arrival we were very satisfied in the size of the room. Once we returned that evening we noticed the room had a horrible smell. The air conditioning was leaking so bad the carpet was wet all around. So the room began to have a mold smell. We did not complain during our stay as we did not want the hassle of changing rooms. But for the price we paid this was very disappointing.

Also, some of the indoor waterparks lifeguards were not very friendly. I noticed one even roll her eyes at my 10 year old daughter when she didn't know which way to exit the slide. Several of your lifeguards were hard to understand as if English was their second language. This is not comforting when I have 3 children swimming and the lifeguard to trying to explain to me what they can and cannot do.

Plus, wish you had a bit more to do for the little ones under 42" at the indoor theme park. We came about 4 years ago and seemed to have a lot more rides for younger kids. And missed having the "jungle gym" in the theme park that has now been moved to the arcade by the waterpark entrance.

Overall, we were extremely satisfied with our stay. I mentioned several times how clean the indoor and outdoor waterparks are.

1  Thank T S
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to fill out a greatly detailed review from your recent stay with us. I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July and enjoyed the fireworks. Those package deals which include certain credits throughout the Resort are a great way to experience a lot of the extra amenities that Kalahari Resort has to offer. The breakfast buffet, the Great Karoo is one of my favorite places to eat within the Resort. The selection of entrees along with the theme really adds to the ambiance of the restaurant. I am sorry to hear about the negatives associated with your stay. One call down to the front desk and we would have been happy to assist with the air conditioning situation. In the Theme Park, for the little ones under 42", I hope they were able to explore the Sky Tyke's rope course, Kiddie Bumper Boats, Merry Go-Round, Ferris Wheel, Bowling and dry play area. Thanks again for the great review and we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed over July 4th and there was lots for the kids to do. We were 2 families each with an 8 year old. A large indoor waterpark, a nice outdoor waterpark, and then an indoor theme park.
We stayed in the Sands complex, in a Hut room, and it needed a bit of updating.
The food was good, and the service was good as well.
Overall Kalahari was a great place for our 4th of July vacation.

Room Tip: Ask if the room you are set up in is handicapped or not as the set up is quite different. Our frien...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your 4th of July with us. I hope both families were able to try the Indoor & Outdoor Waterparks as well as the Indoor Theme Park during your stay with us. I'm glad the food was good for you and everyone had a fantastic 4th. Thanks again and we hope to see you back again sometime soon!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We just got back from our amazing trip to the Wisconsin Dells. We have a 7, 5, and 3 year old. After hours of research prior to the trip we picked the Kalahari. We were very pleased. We stayed in a suite. It was worth the extra money to have the space. The rooms very very modern and clean. I read a review about housekeeping coming during nap time. Our 3 year old was napping when they came so we told her we were not ready, no big deal. We called the front dest before we left to dinner and requested out room to be cleaned and it was upon our arrival. Bottom line is that this place has a lot for young kids. They could go on 80% of the rides. We ate at the Double Cut Steakhouse twice. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Great service, excellent wine selections, a good kids menu, and great steaks. I recommend that you bring a cooler. We brought lunch items and ate in our room everyday. There is a Cracker Barrel within walking distance. We got breakfast Togo from there daily for a fraction of the price at the resort. The indoor theme park was more for Tweens and teens. The waterpark was all we needed!

Room Tip: Get the suite if you have a family of four or more. The condos are a long hike to the resort.
1  Thank J S

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a review and for the compliment of "Best resort in Dells for families". We appreciate all of the kind words and it sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us. I hope you were able to take advantage of both the Indoor and the Outdoor Waterparks during your visit. Thanks again for the great review and we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My husbad and i stayed at the kalahari with our 10 yr old daughter and 1 1/2 year old son for 4 nights. We had a 2 bedroom suite that was perfect size for our family! King bed was very comfortable! ! The indoor and outdoor waterpark are amazing! Great variety of slides and play areas for different aged children and adults. Toddler area was wonderful although would suggest they change the cement area by the steps at the outdoor park area as its kind of "hidden" by water and kids stubbed toes. Painting it would resolve much of the issue!! Indoor theme park was very fun and we did the mini golf, ropes course, and go carts. Ate at 2 of the restraunts. Wisconsin brewery was ok but buffet was great! Ate breakfast there last day and wished we had done more meals there. Should be open more and would be nice option to include w the room rate. Theme of the hotel was nice and fun to see the animals brought in from timbavarti zoo. Kind of expensive but worth the money!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the great review. I am happy that the two-bedroom suite was nice and comfortable for you. Also, I am glad to hear that your toddler enjoyed the spots within the waterpark specifically for him. It's so nice that you were able to take full advantage of the Indoor Theme Park as well as both Waterparks. We appreciate the feedback on the steps at the Outddor Waterpark. I'll send a note on to maintenance to look into that. Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had not been to the dells in 5+ years and enjoyed our time at the Kalahari. We stayed here as part of a baseball tournament. The kids ages 10 and 13 had a blast, we had a nice room on the Sands side. The rooms are big, bigger than a normal hotel room. They have a microwave and fridge and full size coffee maker, which is nice. The balcony is also nice. We overlooked the pool area and it was great. Peaceful in the am and the pm, not too bad throughout the day. It was far to walk to the indoor park and the big outdoor area. Quickest way, through the parking lot. The outdoor waterpark was fun but LOUD. Loud music that did not make things relaxing...... Would I go back, maybe in another 5 years.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view then walk carefully through the parking lot!
1  Thank zimmdj

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I am happy to hear that your 10 and your 13 year old had a blast. The Sands Building is a peaceful escape from the main resort while still on property and just a skywalk away. I hope you were able to experience both the Indoor and Outdoor Waterparks. It sounds like baseball tournament went well and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Dells.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were going to make this an annual event but there's this: We booked a villa 6/20/14 - 6/22/14. There were 19 of us (including an infant) so we all brought food.The refrigerator was not cold. We called for service and were told it was working properly. The next day, it still was not cold. We called again and were told once again (but for different reasons) that is was working properly. We were concerned about the safety of the milk products and were able to get a cooler with ice. The freezer pops we put in on Friday were still not frozen when we checked out on Sunday. I mentioned this on the survey I got after the stay and no one bothered to follow up. For $3000, I don't think a refrigerator that operates at a safe temperature is too much to ask. A follow up from guest services would have been nice as well. That being said, the park is beautiful and well maintained.

5  Thank BBinOH

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize greatly about the refrigerator incident. That is unacceptable. Here at Kalahari Resort, safety is our number one priority and that includes food safety as well. Please don't hesitate to email me directly at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com if you would like to discuss the matter further. Again, I apologize for the missed communication and remain in hopes that you'll come stay with us again.