“STAY AWAY - THEY OVERBOOK - WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE”

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Just returned from a wedding at the Kalahari's Trappers Turn last night. I don't even know where to begin with this review! I was a bit apprehensive about booking a room at this resort as another family member had an awful experience with them last winter. This resort has the rudest, most inconsiderate staff working there that you could ever encounter - and they don't care. It is quite obvious that this is a numbers and profit game to them. We had a family wedding booked at their golf course, Trappers Turn, for over a year. With everyone coming from out of town, of course the Kalahari was to be the choice hotel for the wedding guests. Transportation had been arranged to take the guests to and from the wedding from the Kalahari and a large block of rooms had been reserved for the wedding guests, as well as the wedding party, family, etc. While obviously this is a holiday weekend, one would think that when the resort has a wedding booked, some priority would be given to the guests - especially the family - of the wedding. This is NOT the case. The hotel was overbooked by 18%. 18% extra deposits taken the day the room was booked - so that a guest could be assured they had a room. When we arrived, needless to say, we could not get our room. Since we only had a 2 hour drive to go back home, we opted not to drink and just return home late. The real corker of this weekend though, was what my brother - father of the groom - went through. He arrived Friday evening with a large group of his wife's siblings and parents. (they are from out of state) He had booked a room large enough to accommodate 12 people. They were put in a nice room that was very spacious for all of them - actually too much space. With the race of all the prewedding activities that they needed to attend to, they didn't give it much thought. They spent the night and in the morning when they started to consider the room they were in, my brother was concerned that they were put in the wrong room and he didn't want to be charged more for it. (The room he booked was already very expensive.) He went down to the front desk to check in and make sure there hadn't been any mistake. The front desk attendant informed him that he had indeed been put in the wrong room - infact - they didn't have a room for him! Not only did they not have the room he had booked - he needed to return to his room, get everything packed up, and vacate the room within the hour. --EXCUSE ME???? This is the FATHER AND MOTHER OF THE GROOM WHO'S WEDDING IS BOOKED AT THIS RESORT!!
The FD attendant was rude and matter of fact about it. My brother said there was no way they could be out - they were all getting ready for the wedding. The FD person did not care and told my brother that if they didn't get out, they would have a POLICE ESCORT!!! (my brother is a happy-go-lucky guy with an overall low key demeanor) While I was angry about my room not being available, I can not BELIEVE that they were tossing out my brother and his group of 11. The Kalahari DID NOT CARE that the rooms had been booked for a very long time with the wedding. They just NEEDED THE ROOM. The staff at this resort is the WORST and RUDEST that I have ever encountered anywhere. (I have run the customer service departments and still do). The Kalahari's only concern is keeping the cash register ringing. The idea that they would overbook a hotel by 18% (while charging deposits upon booking) and send the excess guests packing is unfathomable. And to be unapologetic and threaten to call the police - - when you HAVE a reservation, you've already been checked in and in a room, and they HAVE YOUR MONEY, is a CRIME. We will NEVER return to the Kalahari, and I will make sure that I let as many people know as possible to steer clear of this resort. I rarely have bad experiences with the resorts that I have been to. The majority of my reviews on Trip Advisor are very favorable. The Kalahari DOES NOT deserve even the one star that I have given them.

8  Thank getmetherenow
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

While I am beyond discouraged to hear about your stay, I am very appreciative that you took the time to reach out to us. I would love the opportunity to look further into this for you, as this certainly sounds as if we have failed to deliver beyond expectations. Please email me your contact info at SocialConnect@KalahariResorts.com. I am hoping to gain some understanding as to where we fell short and ensure that we make the proper revisions for the all guests moving forward. Again, I am so thankful that you took the time to share your experience with us, I do hope that we can speak again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Kalahari resort from August 24-26 with our extended family. When we arrived to the hotel, we were shocked to see how busy it was and were informed that the last week of August is generally the busiest week for the resort. Wish we would have known this! The reservation was made in my fiancé's mother's name and the front desk staff would not let us check in for almost two hours because she had not yet arrived to the hotel. We all had individual print outs for our room, so we were quite annoyed about this. After waiting in line for half an hour, we were finally able to check in.

We were impressed with our room aside from a few minor details. Beds were comfortable, pull out couch would be a nice option if you needed more people in the room. There was also a small table and two chairs which was nice as we ate in our room a few time. There was a small fridge and microwave which was awesome. We were able to buy some groceries and drinks. The bathroom sink and vanity is in the room, behind the door and the toilet and shower were in a separate room. I was not a big fan of this but a minor detail. I had a few complaints about the room. The A/C worked but was extremely loud. It woke me up in the night when it would turn on. Also, our coffee maker was quite old and the lid was broken. The clothes line that stretches across in the shower was broken and did not work. There wasn't many places to hang wet bathing suits which was frustrating. The set up of the room would be great for a family with children.

Another annoyance was that our room was quite a bit smaller than some of our family members, and they had new coffee makers and quiet A/C in their rooms. We actually paid more for our room than they did as we booked it a bit later. We didn't complain to the front desk because we didn't want to get moved to a room away from our family and we figured it wasn't a huge deal.

There was tons to do at this resort between the indoor and outdoor waterparks, the two arcades, and the bowling alley and movie theatre. Very impressed with all the amenities!

The food at all the places we ate was delicious and reasonably priced. Lots of options to choose from for everyone. There was a McDonalds across the road from the resort.

There is also a Tanger outlet mall across the road from the resort which was great for a little shopping trip.

I wouldn't hesitate to return to this hotel, although next time I would probably talk to the front desk about the discrepancies in our room compared to the other rooms around us.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

We're excited to see you again. Thank you so much for the detailed review so that we can continually improve! It sounds like a wonderful adventure having a journey with your extended family. We're thrilled that you choose to stay with us. I would love to look into the room specifics that you encountered while you were. Can you please email me your contact info to SocialConnect@KalahariResorts.com? I can look up the exact room and get our team right on it. Again, we are so thankful for all the information so that we can constantly improve. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Take care!

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Booked the two day family fun getaway package. Included tickets to two attractions outside if the resort, as well as food for both night. The included breakfast was awesome, kept us full until dinner. The arcade and amusement park were also a nice break from swimming. The only bummer was the life jacket policy for small kids. My kids are great swimmers and were not happy they had to wear the jackets. Not a deal breaker. Overall it was a very nice place. Would stay again in the winter for the indoor water park. The outdoor water park was not as big as other resorts in the area, but was still very nice. Have fun at the Kalahari resort in the dells. Look forward to coming back when the kids are older and do not have to wear the life jackets.

Stayed: August 2014

Hi Scott, I appreciate all the feedback. Sounds like you had a blast. As safety is our number priority, we do have the under 48 inches lifejacket rule in place, but can certainly understand the frustration for the little swimmers! Hopefully they are close to that mark and a growth spurt kicks in, so we can see you this winter! I know we would love it! Thank you again for your time! See you soon!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We stayed for a mini vacation with our three kids (13, 5 and 2). The hotel room was large and clean. The front desk personnel were very nice, knowledgeable and accommodating. The kids had a great time at the indoor waterpark. It unfortunately was too cold and rainy to play outside one day. We ate at Ivory Coast and the food was enjoyable. Our server was very attentive as well. The extra added value of Tommy Bartlett and Timbavadi was really nice as well. The only thing I'd mention is our room overlooked a loading/service area by the waterpark and it got a little loud in the morning hours before the kids were awake. Other than that for the price the experience was great! Will be back for sure!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Our family enjoyed the stay. Very well kept water parks and rooms. The area of the resort is easily accesible to any thing you need with shopping and eating when leaving the resort! The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This resort has everything a family (kid) friendly vacation could want. There are tons of dining options - anything from buffet, to bar, to steak house. There is putt-putt, bowling, arcade games/rides for all ages, and two water parks - indoor and outdoor. We took our three year old there for a weekend and had a blast. He was bale to ride two the family rides and could go on two of the bigger slides. It was awesome that they had a "kids" area that was made for little and big kids alike and that the 3/4 year olds weren't stuck in the baby area. We stayed in the indoor waterpark because the outdoor one was swamped. We had no lines for rides and didn't have to worry about putting on sun tan lotion every 30 minutes. There are activities daily for kids and the staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely go again!

Room Tip: There are some rooms that overlook the outdoor waterpark. I am assuming that those would be louder...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

You have one lucky 3 year old! I love hearing all about your stay with us. Thank you so much for sharing with us. This sounds like you truly had a blast and were able to try out all of our experiences. Needless to say, I can't thank you for visiting us and we had such a wonderful time ourselves having you as our guest. Looking forward to seeing you and your little one again soon Alex!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We had been here about 6 years ago and had a great time, but tried some other resorts the last couple of visits. Decided to try Kalahari again and so happy we did! It is by far better than the other big resorts in the Dells and worth the little extra money. My kids (8,10,12) had so many options to choose from with the indoor and outdoor water parks. Their favorite though was the Indoor Theme Park. It pays to buy the theme park wrist band to be used the entire time of your stay. We would go a few hours a day - sometimes early morning so we could avoid the lines and sometimes later at night when smaller kids were not there. We only did the attractions there and avoided the games that cost extra so it was very economical. The staff in the entire resort weren't always the most friendly, so that is a little disappointing, but there were enough that were great to offset the negative ones. Not a good thing when staff roll their eyes when asked questions from people that have never been there before. The resort is close to popular restaurants if you choose not to eat on site. We only left the resort to grab a few meals, and attend a show, otherwise it has all you need. Breakfast buffet was very good, so I would recommend that addition which you can usually get for free if you watch the rates and book at a good time. We booked less than a week before we went. The kids enjoyed the Tommy Bartlett show which we received free tickets from the resort. Not a show I would see again, but the first time was entertaining. We enjoyed the baby tigers in the lobby each day and especially when they were being fed.