“Everything went perfect”

Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Palatine, Illinois
“Everything went perfect”
Reviewed 26 March 2009

When i was researching the various Dells waterpark hotels here I was a bit concerned since there were so many negative reviews - especially on room conditions. But I am happy to say my one night Spring Break stay went off perfectly.

We arrived at 11:30 am and went to the check-in counter. After a 5-6 minute wait we registered with a friendly desk clerk. Our room was not yet ready so we received complimentary passes to the men and women's warter park lockers. I also requested a top floor room if possible. We received our waterpark wristbands and headed off to the water park.

The kids immediately started having a blast at the water park. The only ride we really hads to wait for at all was the "Master Blaster" (the roller-coster type ride). Everything else we pretty much walked onto immediately. Tubes were readily available for both the lazy river and for taking up to those couple tube rides where you have a carry a tube yourself.

A few hours later we headed out for dinner. When we returned our room was ready. Our request for a top floor room was granted. We went up to a very nice room with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. Everything was clean and in perfect working order. No complaints at all about the room. We then headed down for a few more hours at the water park.

The next morning we had no trouble making it out by the 11 am check out time. The bill was on the door (not slipped underneath, oddly enough) and we checked out via the TV. We headed out for some breakfast and returned and hour later for 'day 2' of our wristbands.

Given that it would have cost $34 per person for *one day* at the water park I think I got a really good value for two days of usage (plus the room) for my family of five for just around $220. I would gladly return here.

3 Thank sclind6777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Minnesota
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Let me start by who we are. My wife and I are in our early 30's. We have no kids and traveled to the resort with my brother and his girlfriend. We are experienced travelers who have stayed at 5 Star resorts, to hole in the wall hotels.

My wife and I enjoyed the resort two years ago but never wrote a review. So this year I thought I would.

We purposely booked on a Monday/Tuesday night as from our past experience we knew it would be less crowded and more laid back. We booked our rooms online. We stayed in a Hut Room in the Sands part of the resort. We paid, after taxes approx $159 Dollars per night which included water park passes and the new theme park pass which included go-carts, laser tag, mini golf etc. Do your homework to get the best price.

ROOMS: The rooms are larger than a standard hotel and were well maintained. It is also nice and very rare to get a balcony. Our room was located in the Sands builiding which is the furthest from the waterpark and front desk. We don't care and find it comical when people complain they actually have to walk. House keeping was fantastic.

WATERPARK: Amazing, no lines during the time we were there. It is good to feel like a kid again.

Service: Front desk was fast and effecient. I ordered a slice of Pizza from a place directly outside the water park. It appeared there was a new employee who had cut the pizza. Although I thought it was fine, the supervisor told me she wasn't going to charge me for the slice of pizza as the newbie had cut it too small. Bravo! The bartenders at the new bowling alley are uninterested and don't know how to poor drinks. The bowling alley and bar is an incredible area but this area needs some massive help.

Food: My brother and his wife wanted to Eat at Damon's. Damons was out of several items and the food was attrocious. The beer was cold and yummy. Avoid Damon's. We go out to The House of Embers which is an incredible old school steak house. Give it a try. There is a pizza joint not to far called Moose???? it was great.

We like this resort because yes it is a little more expensive. We like that because I don't enjoy hanging out with white trash and other miscreants. This resort has tons to do for all My wife and I will continue to come back and when we eventually have some chitlins I know it will be a yearly experience.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank bluelineMinnesota
Indiana
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Looks like the Kalahari is a little overwhelmed by all of the families rushing up to the Dells for Spring Break. We tried to extend our stay from 2 to 3 days and the reservationist was so rude that I politely gave up and hung up the phone. After waiting 2 days to regain my composure (and hoping to get a different rep) I tried to call back. After waiting in the phone tree for 10 minutes, I was finally told that I'd have to wait 2-3 hours for a return phone call as they were currently overwhelmed in reservations. If they can't handle the phone calls properly, I'm doubtful I'll get any better treatment once we check in. I'm tempted to cancel my reservation at this point! This is ridiculous!

2 Thank Indianamouselover
Greendale
Reviewed 11 March 2009

This place is a fun place for families or if your with friends. The lobby has a uniqe theme of the safari wilderness, as they have stores, photo stations, bar, etc. Our stay was for Christmas Break. Even know the Theme park was open when we where there, I here great reviews for it though. Go-carts, rock wall, ropes coarse, bowling, etc. To break to the point, it a great place to go if your a water park lover.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank mudhen10
Milwaukee
Reviewed 9 March 2009

While booking the room, my sister called 3 different times and received 3 different rates for the same night. Upon arrival, check in was slow but eventually we made it to our room. The waterpark was fun but 2 of the adult slide were shut down. For dinner we decided to order room service from Damons. The burgers were undercooked and the fries were soggy, not to mention they gave me the wrong entree. The beds were horribly uncomfortable and I actually kept rolling into by niece because the center was concave. We stayed in room 3200 and all night people were running above us. While checking out my sister brought all this to the front desk's attention and they offered us free amusement park passes....this includes rock climbing, ropes course, mini golf, go karts and the ferris wheel! For $350 a night for 4 adults and 1 child, the whole experience was a waste!

2 Thank Jodilynnm
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed 3 March 2009

From Ann Arbor, MI for 3 straight winters, we have headed to Dells, WI for a 3 nights stay at the fabulous Kalahari Resort. My daughter, two grandkids, a family friend and I stayed in the Village Suite which is a condo. It did not disappoint. Three very large, gorgeous bedrooms, with dining bar, kitchen, and comfy room for watching our big screen TV. Of course each room had its own flat screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, bathroom, patio, and safe as well. It was a nice little hike to the main building. However, there was so much to see on our way that we hardly noticed the distance. There are places to sit and leisurely dine, faster food if you prefer, shop, have a portrait made, hair braided, play arcade games, or sit quietly by the fireplace and ponder what to do next. The indoor Theme Park is probably much larger than you're thinking. It's really QUITE big. With a ferris wheel, climbing wall, rope course, go karts, golf, laser tag, bowling alley, games, etc., it's really easy to see why. My grandkids were there for three or four hours! They would have stayed longer, but I was tired! Now for the Water Park. It's HUGE! It's like no other indoor water park you've seen. Fun water activities everywhere you look! You can even surf! That is, if you have the nerve! Maybe you prefer lazying down the river on an inner tube. Or if you're like me, you might just prefer sitting back on a lounge chair watching others do those fantastic things in water. Now you probably can understand why my grandkids are already planning our next mid-winter break to the Kalahari Resort in the Dells. By the way, I almost forgot to tell you something. There's a Damon's Restaurant there also, and a movie theatre. And guess what? All of this fun is under ONE ROOF!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank funlver
Milwaukee
Reviewed 3 March 2009

My boyfriend and I recently stayed overnight the resort. We were in the sands room 1109, which was a nice, expensive room. When waking up Saturday the 21st, I went to take a shower and there was no hot water at all. I called the desk around 8:30 requesting someone to come and fix this. An hour later nothing has happened, still cold water. I called the front desk again and requested to speak with a manager. I got disconnected. Called back again and the front desk said the manager will call back. More time goes by and now it is almost 10:00 when the manager calls back. All that she said she could do for us is give us 2 extra hours to check out since we both have not showered yet and check out is in ONE hour. I kept going back and forth with her and she said that giving us this time was all that she could do for us. This is the LEAST I expected her to do, there was no way I could get ready and be gone by 11:00. We had plans later that day and couldn’t even enjoy the water park because we were stuck in our room ALL MORNING dealing with having no hot water. I am VERY disappointed with this trip because I couldn’t even enjoy half of it because I was stuck in the room. The customer service skills lacked greatly in this example, every person I talked to was very short with me, and nobody was taking the time to help us out when it was your hotel that failed us.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple