“Great hotel rooms, average water parks. Overall very nice.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mt. Olympus Resort

Mt. Olympus Resort
Ranked #64 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Cary, Illinois
“Great hotel rooms, average water parks. Overall very nice.”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The hotel rooms are very modern and clean. They offer very unique hardwood floors which I find very preferrable (much cleaner) to carpet. The beds were comortable and our room offered a really unique set of bunk beds that the kids loved!

The game room in the hotel is quite nice, kept up entertained for a long time. Water park and adventure park are not the best ive been to, but we had some fun.

Give this a try, these rooms are much cheaper than most of the Dells and they are totally worth their price!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lougordon1306

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Hebrew first
juda, wi
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We have been patronizing this park since before it was Mt. Olympus (formerly, Family Land). For the most part, we liked it better before it was "upgraded". Since the remake, there are more water slides, more roller coasters - but also more costs, more restrictions and longer lines.

Having said that, our children range in age from 7 - 16, and this park had something for all of them, and they all thought it was a great time. We would stay and play again.

The only real disappointment was the room. It was OK, but not as expected. We stayed in Hotel Room Bldg #2. Which turns out to not really be “Hotel Rome.” The space was smaller than pictured, plus it was more dated. More importantly, it did not have 2 pull-out sleeper sofas as we were told. We had to order a roll-away and pay an extra fee. The room was advertised as having an oven and microwave. After searching for the hidden oven, we discovered it was a combo convection / microwave. That’s OK, but tell us up front. Let’s not play hide-n-seek.

We reserved the room for 7 people - and were provided 4 towels spread over 2 bathrooms. That's right, 4 towels! This hotel does not supply hand towels, and compensates with lots of washcloths. We called for more towels, which were provided, but when the room was cleaned, we once again received 4 towels.

Lastly, the directions to our room were horrid. After much searching through floors and entries, we were informed we should ignore the 1st digit of our room number. The numbers do not match the room numbers listed on directional signs.

The park itself was fine - very sprawling, but a great place for a wide age range family. The hotel was only so-so. Not a great value for the price, but in the end I would stay again for the location convenience.

Room Tip: Some rooms are not on property - if you want to stay on-property specify.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Corrine-Juda
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Horrible! Lines were long to check in. We realized after getting are keys and already in are room they forgot are passes for the water park. I didn't feel i had to wait another 20minutes in are line for there mistake. as a guy finished with a customer i quickly walked up and just asked for my wrist bands and he told me i had to wait back in line. I wasn't happy! The rooms were so blah! Nothing special at all! It was only myself and boyfriend for his birthday.. we were starving after a long drive. we thought we would find some good food in the hotel......... I swear i would of rather ate mc donalds! and im not a big fan either. later on that evening (Fri) we wanted to step out to the clubs in which we have been to them before. we get back to our room and our door is open!! I right away looked around to make sure if anything was missing... Thank god not, but we really didn't even bring anything along that was worth stealing. i called front desk and the guy told me he will look at the cameras and also looked at the room history for the day, which they can tell you how many times you have opened your door and what exact times too. He told me at 10:20 pm someone went to front desk to get a copy of our room key.. mind you, right about 10:30 we were leaving the hotel to get to the club.. neither me or my boyfriend were anywhere near front desk to make a extra key.. Especially when we had 2 keys already and theres only two of us! When he told me that i went bananas! On top of that he said, the history on room showed our room door was opened at 2:40is am, when we didn't get back to our room till 3:00am. and again didn't even have to use the key.. the door was open!! we went straight to a manager and he told us he basically couldn't do anything until the morning because we had to speak with the general manager. this was so upsetting. And also told us there's only cameras in the lobby! The rep on the phone basically didn't have no clue to what he was talking about. But if you ask me something was really fishy! We will never go back there again! We went early in the morning to speak with the general manager. we had plans to stay there the whole weekend. we got our money back for the rest of the weekend. and moved along. we take family trips to the dells atleast once a year. But our first time staying there. And by far the worst ever!

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank audryromo

Travellers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

New London, Ohio
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Where do I start. . . Check-in? They had 15+ stations to check-in guests, yet when I arrived I was third in line and there was only ONE person working at the front desk. I stood there for 20 minutes to check-in. My room was in a building about a half mile away from the main hotel building and was much poorer quality than the main building. I was told three times throughout my stay by hotel staff and managers that I need to stay in a poor quality room because I didn't pay full price for my room. Once in my room, the sink didn't drain, toilet didn't flush, the knobs were missing from heater so I couldn't adjust it, and the internet access was INCREDIBLY slow. When I called and requested a different room the 'manager' was very unpleasant and not at all cooperative. There were many vacant rooms available because I stayed during low season in a resort area yet she refused to 'upgrade' me to a room in the main hotel building because I didn't pay full price for my room. There are many nicer hotels in Wisconsin Dells at the same or lower price.

Room Tip: If you want a good room I suggest a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank haw68
Rockford
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This "resort" is essentially a few motel buildings sold as resort rooms. They are spread around the water park and some of them appear of lower quality then what they may be advertised. I believe there is only one building, I think it is Hotel Rome, that seems newer and it is more integrated with the resort. I find the hotel prices grossly overpriced for the level of accommodations.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Emil B
USA/INDIA
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We definitely paid more than what it was worth

Labor Day weekend at the Mount Olympus water & theme park, stayed in Hotel Rome. It is extremely basic. Clean, but basic. Since it was built cheaply it is pretty beat up. No real restaurant, just a couple of snack bars (prepackaged breakfast sandwiches included something like a sausage and hashbrowns sandwich they heat up). Vending machines offer only pop and candy. Difficult to get healthy food. Long check-in lines. The housecleaning staff wants you to check out early - we asked the front desk for a half hour delay and housecleaning banged on our door and got mad when we said we had permission (11 instead of the usual 10:30am). We paid over $200 for Saturday night for a room with two Queen beds (compared to $85 for Thursday night). Parking is difficult - there is a parking lot but getting to and from the hotel is a bit of a walk with luggage; and getting in and out of the hotel/park is a challenge since you have to take a back road through the other "Villages". Hotel Rome is at the park, but the other Mt Olympus "Villages" are older hotels that the company has bought up and painted blue and white - they have fairly small rooms, filled in swimming pools, etc. and you must walk along a busy road to the water/theme park. I don't think any of them have restaurants either. The water/theme park entrance fees were included in our hotel price (like all hotels with these kind of parks). The water park is fun - big waves, lots of slides, a river; and the theme park consists of several go-kart tracks, 3-4 old, wooden roller coasters, kiddie rides and a couple of "thrill rides." The only food is, as you can imagine, is overpriced pizza/snack bar kind of stuff. Drinks are super sugary. These are located in the park (not the hotel). As we were checking out the last day a rowdy guy in the parking lot acted like he was going to hit me. When I tried to get help from security I was told they didn't have any. Thousands of "guests" and no security is a RED FLAG to me. When I asked for a supervisor she said she would take care of it but tried to send me away without even taking a description of the man. I had to force her to listen to the description, but I'm sure nothing was done about it. Many of the staff are temporaries brought in from other countries - underpaid, overworked, stuffed into inadequate (space-wise) housing, and their demeanor shows it. Not very happy people. If we go back again we'd stay outside of the Dells or in another hotel, hopefully locally-owned where the folks care about their hotel and their visitors. If you want to go to the theme/water park - just go for the day and don't get yourself locked into the place for more than that. If you do go - take your own food and drinks. I looked up alternative places to stay and healthy restaurants at Wisconsin Dells, and will write about them on my blog. We liked House of Embers restaurant and the Cheese Factory (delicious vegan/vegetarian).

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the 1st floor but got a room on a balcony overlooking the busy and loud lobby...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelTalkDeborah
Saint Paul Park, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 September 2012

4 adults and two children - one room (2 double beds and a set of bunk beds) PLUS free wristbands for all 6 - $150!!!! Great price ---- Great Fun! Plenty to do for all ages. Check in isn't until 4 but they will give you wristbands for the park (as early as 10:30) and text you when your room is ready

Room Tip: Rooms have refrigerator and microwave. Bring your own snacks and some microwave food - park food is...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family