“Summer of 2012”

Ranked #64 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Fish Creek, WI
“Summer of 2012”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Last weekend, my daughter and I were talking about our summer. In August we went to Mt Olympus and my daughter took a friend with here and we stayed and played at the park. Our previous experience was a couple of years ago in the winter and had fun in the indoor water park, and my daughter had always wanted to try the roller coasters, carts and the other outdoor water attractions. This year we went back and were quite impressed to see that there was much more to do outside than we had anticipated. I can say very honestly that my daughter and her friend had a great time. The weather was great, and it was fun to see them have so much fun. What we liked the most was that it was not just a water park. It was a great water park, and a really fun amusement park. When we would get tired of being in the water, we would go and play on the rides and carts. It as hot outside, so after doing the rides we put our suits back on, and back to the water we went. Clearly, the experience was one of the top memories of the summer of 2012. Before going, I had seen some of the reviews, I was concerned. Yesterday when we were talking about it, it reminded me that I should share my experience. I can say with all honesty, we had a great time, people were nice, and the park was truly fun. Also the gyros are really good too.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Greg S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Hebrew first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed at Hotel Rome over the weekend, and had a great experience overall.
The beds are comfy, with a lot of sleeping space and spacious rooms for more than the standard 4 people. The bunks and 2 queen beds this room sleeps 6 comfortably. The rooms have wooden floors, which is a nice upgrade and when you walk on the floor barefoot you don't have to worry about what is lurking in some scary 3+ year old carpeting.
Another plus for the family was the rooms have kitchenettes with microwaves and small refrigerators. We always try to look for this, it comes in handy when you have little kids that wake up at 6 am wanting their cereal even tho the rest of the family isn't ready to leave the room.
The theme park is great - they have many go kart tracks and great rollercoasters that my older kids loved, and plenty of kiddie rides for my younger one. Great place to stay in the fall, and judging by the look of the new waterpark, I'd imagine its great in the summer as well. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Bellevue, Iowa
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Rooms were disappointing, very sparse. Indoor waterpark adequate, however life guards not very attentive. Most staff not overly helpful or friendly. Our family makes a trip to the Dells a couple of times a year, this was our first experience at Mt. Olympus. Next time will probably go back to the Great Wolf Lodge, much better service and life guards.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ben H

Travellers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Cary, Illinois
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The hotel rooms are very modern and clean. They offer very unique hardwood floors which I find very preferrable (much cleaner) to carpet. The beds were comortable and our room offered a really unique set of bunk beds that the kids loved!

The game room in the hotel is quite nice, kept up entertained for a long time. Water park and adventure park are not the best ive been to, but we had some fun.

Give this a try, these rooms are much cheaper than most of the Dells and they are totally worth their price!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lougordon1306
juda, wi
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We have been patronizing this park since before it was Mt. Olympus (formerly, Family Land). For the most part, we liked it better before it was "upgraded". Since the remake, there are more water slides, more roller coasters - but also more costs, more restrictions and longer lines.

Having said that, our children range in age from 7 - 16, and this park had something for all of them, and they all thought it was a great time. We would stay and play again.

The only real disappointment was the room. It was OK, but not as expected. We stayed in Hotel Room Bldg #2. Which turns out to not really be “Hotel Rome.” The space was smaller than pictured, plus it was more dated. More importantly, it did not have 2 pull-out sleeper sofas as we were told. We had to order a roll-away and pay an extra fee. The room was advertised as having an oven and microwave. After searching for the hidden oven, we discovered it was a combo convection / microwave. That’s OK, but tell us up front. Let’s not play hide-n-seek.

We reserved the room for 7 people - and were provided 4 towels spread over 2 bathrooms. That's right, 4 towels! This hotel does not supply hand towels, and compensates with lots of washcloths. We called for more towels, which were provided, but when the room was cleaned, we once again received 4 towels.

Lastly, the directions to our room were horrid. After much searching through floors and entries, we were informed we should ignore the 1st digit of our room number. The numbers do not match the room numbers listed on directional signs.

The park itself was fine - very sprawling, but a great place for a wide age range family. The hotel was only so-so. Not a great value for the price, but in the end I would stay again for the location convenience.

Room Tip: Some rooms are not on property - if you want to stay on-property specify.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Corrine-Juda
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Horrible! Lines were long to check in. We realized after getting are keys and already in are room they forgot are passes for the water park. I didn't feel i had to wait another 20minutes in are line for there mistake. as a guy finished with a customer i quickly walked up and just asked for my wrist bands and he told me i had to wait back in line. I wasn't happy! The rooms were so blah! Nothing special at all! It was only myself and boyfriend for his birthday.. we were starving after a long drive. we thought we would find some good food in the hotel......... I swear i would of rather ate mc donalds! and im not a big fan either. later on that evening (Fri) we wanted to step out to the clubs in which we have been to them before. we get back to our room and our door is open!! I right away looked around to make sure if anything was missing... Thank god not, but we really didn't even bring anything along that was worth stealing. i called front desk and the guy told me he will look at the cameras and also looked at the room history for the day, which they can tell you how many times you have opened your door and what exact times too. He told me at 10:20 pm someone went to front desk to get a copy of our room key.. mind you, right about 10:30 we were leaving the hotel to get to the club.. neither me or my boyfriend were anywhere near front desk to make a extra key.. Especially when we had 2 keys already and theres only two of us! When he told me that i went bananas! On top of that he said, the history on room showed our room door was opened at 2:40is am, when we didn't get back to our room till 3:00am. and again didn't even have to use the key.. the door was open!! we went straight to a manager and he told us he basically couldn't do anything until the morning because we had to speak with the general manager. this was so upsetting. And also told us there's only cameras in the lobby! The rep on the phone basically didn't have no clue to what he was talking about. But if you ask me something was really fishy! We will never go back there again! We went early in the morning to speak with the general manager. we had plans to stay there the whole weekend. we got our money back for the rest of the weekend. and moved along. we take family trips to the dells atleast once a year. But our first time staying there. And by far the worst ever!

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank audryromo
New London, Ohio
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Where do I start. . . Check-in? They had 15+ stations to check-in guests, yet when I arrived I was third in line and there was only ONE person working at the front desk. I stood there for 20 minutes to check-in. My room was in a building about a half mile away from the main hotel building and was much poorer quality than the main building. I was told three times throughout my stay by hotel staff and managers that I need to stay in a poor quality room because I didn't pay full price for my room. Once in my room, the sink didn't drain, toilet didn't flush, the knobs were missing from heater so I couldn't adjust it, and the internet access was INCREDIBLY slow. When I called and requested a different room the 'manager' was very unpleasant and not at all cooperative. There were many vacant rooms available because I stayed during low season in a resort area yet she refused to 'upgrade' me to a room in the main hotel building because I didn't pay full price for my room. There are many nicer hotels in Wisconsin Dells at the same or lower price.

Room Tip: If you want a good room I suggest a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business