“Good value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
“Good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed in early November and had a great time. Our room was in building 10 which was off site and the accommodations were clean and well cared for. I was nervous about about this arrangement and getting to and from the water park. Luckily they have installed a nice system of back roads which made it very easy to get around the complex. The staff was friendly,helpful and they even let our Two year old daughter sit in the tubes with us and go down the big slides! I have never been to a park that allowed this and it was a nice change! This allowed all four of us to have fun vs two people at a time. The water park was clean,warm and everything was in good working order. I see a lot of bad reviews about this place but the fact is a lot of people these days are whiners!!! This place is a great family hotel and it was great place to spend a weekend! If given the chance we would go back and stay again! Does it compare with the Wilderness or other hotels yes its close but the price is what makes this place a winner. The one thing that drove my wife and I crazy was no coffee pot in the room!! All parents of small children need coffee to get going in the morning! We should not have to drive someplace else to get it! Please Please add a coffee pot and we will come back for sure!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Ejayz33
Christin B, Social Media Advisor at Mt. Olympus Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed yourselves in our indoor water park. We did replace the coffee makers with instant coffee in the rooms and we also have a cafe in the lobby available to our guests. I do hope you come back to enjoy another family getaway with us. Thank you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Hebrew first
Minneapolis, mn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We (Myself, husband, son (12) and daughter (10) stayed here for two nights over New Years Eve (30th and 31st). I was nervous after reading many negative reviews. We went in without very high expectations. We booked nearly a year in advance and paid $172 per night for a room in the main hotel Rome with two queen beds. The room was very, very basic with laminate floors, no dressers and a very long table with two desk chairs. There was a TV, fridge and a microwave in the room. I like to un-pack if I am in a hotel longer than one night so was a little frustrating living out of a suitcase for two days, especially with 4 people in the room. The beds had just a down white comforter on them. No sheet or blanket. I would get super hot through the night and then throw off the comforter and then get cold. There was no in between. Our second day was new years eve and I know they were busy, but it took them until 5 p.m. to make up our room.
The waterpark was okay. The kids enjoyed themselves and disappeared for hours – but they LOVE the water and can stay in almost any pool type setting for hours and entertain themselves. We were able to get some drinks from the bar by the pool. The amusement park you actually have to walk outside to enter. It’s not that far away, but a cold walk! It really is geared more towards little kids. The roller coaster broke while we were on it, but they pushed our car until it clicked onto the track and we were able to go. I was soooo nervous after that and I love roller coasters! It whips you around (like the mad mouse at Valley Fair). Once was enough. The line for the go karts was huge –like 45 minute wait and it is just an oval track. There is an arcade in the hotel and arcade game in the roller coaster area too, of course they cost extra and are for tickets.
Since we stayed over New Years Eve there was a DJ being set up in the lobby and a buffet dinner. I asked about the tables being set up and asked if we could make reservations (our friends arrived that day as well so we had 9). They said yes, to go to the bar and grill when they opened. We did that and they told us to come back in 15 minutes. We did that and the other person there said “No – we don’t take reservations for the buffet” I told her that two people had told me they did and she said well we can sell tickets for it, but I can’t even do that yet. We just left and ended up later being able to get a table for 8 which was what we needed. The buffet was okay. You could only go once through and had pizza and burgers and some salads. We stayed in our seats until after midnight and had a great time. They didn’t seem to care that we brought our own beer from our room to the table. The DJ played great current top 40 kind of music. There were hats and horns and a balloon drop at midnight. It was very crowded by that time, but it seemed ok.
Our friends did say they had a cockroach on their wall when they were packing up. We did not have that problem. Their room was on the 3rd floor and they had 3 queen beds. Their room seemed older though with different comforters and things. Their microwave was from the 80's with a dial and thier fridge was all frozen over.

The New Years Eve party is why I would say average - it was well done and fun. So, that is why I didn't rate this poor. I would't say "poor" but maybe below average.

Room Tip: We were on the 1st floor and it was a good location to all of the activities.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Christin B, Social Media Advisor at Mt. Olympus Resort, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
I'm very pleased to hear that your children enjoyed themselves in our indoor water park! I see you also celebrated New Years with us! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the festivities. I however do apologize for the confusion with the buffet reservation portion of the night. That is something I will have management look into for next year. I want to thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. I do hope to see you and your family back with us again in the near future!
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here recently as a group with three rooms. We decided to stay here because the room rate included park passes and lift tickets to the local ski hill. When you factor that all in the room was more than reasonable. The rooms with the lowest rates have to stay in buildings outside the immediate main building. Our room for instance was close to 3/4ths of a mile away from the main hotel. That wasn't a huge deal to us. This ownership group has bought up a large number of the mom and pop motels nearby and converted them to Mt. Olympus rooms. They basically changed the paint scheme and probably did some room upgrades as well.

Our room had two queen beds and a set of bunk beds as well. The room was actually really large and was clean upon our arrival. The floors were fake wood and it seemed like it would have been very easy for a child to slip and fall on a wet floor. No doubt they were easy to maintain though. The one complaint that I did have with our room in building 21 was it was VERY noisy. The walls were paper thin and the noise that came through the walls when someone nearby took a shower was awful. The rooms were also VERY hot. Our heater didn't kick in once in December and the outside temp was around 20 degrees.

The water park that is inside was a LOT smaller than the other large hotel complexes. With Mt. Olympus bragging that they now have almost 1400 rooms, I can't imagine if they filled them all and had to try and accommodate that many people in the water park. There is NO WAY they could.

Check in was efficient but not super fast. We checked in early and the room was ready so that was a big plus.

Bottom line is that if you get a good rate for your room than this place is just fine for a night or two. Don't stay in building 21 though.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for taking a few minutes to review our resort. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your rooms layout and the free ski/ snow tubing tickets that came with your stay. I do hope that you and your family stay with us again in the future; maybe during the summer months so you can take advantage of all the outdoor water and theme park attractions Mt. Olympus has to offer! Thank you again!
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Some fiends and I stayed in one of the Mt. Olympus Villages recently for a couple nights. We had some skepticism at first about being “offsite” and didn’t know what to expect but we gave it a try anyway. We got to the room late and it was actually a very large room that was very nice. We went out in the Dells to check out the night life as well and learned we were basically across the street from Wett, a premier nightclub, that had a bunch of deals for Mt. Olympus guests. It turned out to be an awesome place with great music and fun atmosphere, felt like you were in a big city downtown at a club but for a much better price. Highly recommend checking the place out. Worked nice pretty nice, we found a resort shuttle to give us a quick ride home at the end of the night. The parks were fun, had enough for all of us to do and stay busy, the food was good as well in the parks and at the Pub and Grill in the main lobby of Hotel Rome. Overall I would say it’s a very solid place to go with friends or family and comes at a very affordable price.

Christin B, Social Media Advisor at Mt. Olympus Resort, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
I'm very excited to hear that you and your friends enjoyed yourself here at Mt. Olympus and took advantage of the surrounding night life! I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I hope to see you back very soon! Thank you again!!
Evansville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at Mt. Olympus, Hotel Rome, and had a great time. The room was clean, plenty of amenities, and the beds were comfortable. The park was perfect for our five and two year old boys, they truly enjoyed themselves. My only complaint was the exterior doors next to the young child water play area... the temperature got cold in a hurry when people were coming in and out,, and the water is very shallow so it was hard towarm up. The check in was a breeze; we arrived at 11am and there was no wait. Our family used the water park until our room was ready, which was at 1pm. When we left te water park at 3pm to go back to our room, the check inline was verrrry long, so I would recommend checking in early and taking advantage of the water and indoor theme parks until your room is ready. We will be returning, perfect family get away for the price and our children's needs.

1 Thank Amlarson
Thank you for taking a moment to share your family getaway with us. I am please to hear that you all enjoyed yourselves here at Mt. Olympus Resorts! We can't wait to see you back with us again soon! Thank you!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

I bought my 2 kids (9 and 10) here for winter break. We stayed in the main hotel which was convenient for getting to the water park and amusement park with ease. The rooms were comfortable and the food was good for kids - nothing too fancy nor healthy. The outstanding part of staying here is the property manager Rich. He bent backwards to assure our satisfaction with the trip. Although we had a few noise problems during sleep, Rich was there to resolve any issues. A great value for a family with young kids.

Room Tip: Stay in the main resort. The offsite village is spark.
1 Thank Debbie140
Christin B, Social Media Advisor at Mt. Olympus Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay with us. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed yourselves during your stay with us. We do hope to see you back with us again in the near future!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Me and my boyfriend paid 300$ for this piece of crap hotel! We stayed in building 18 and the sheets were bloody not clean at all the tv was old! They claim they have wifi but it's so slow that we just used our phone internet it was literally so slow I couldn't even browse Facebook! This was such a waste of money we didn't even go to the water park because it was so small for little kids the indoor theme park was the same crap! Please save ur money and do not go here I've stayed at better hotels with half the cost! Dirty filthy trash I just wanna leave early id be better off staying home!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I want to thank you for taking a moment to review our Resort. Our management team would like to connect further with you about your recent stay with us. They would like a chance to make this better for you. Please feel free to contact our team at 1-800-800-4997. Ask for the manager on duty and they will be more then happy to take care of you.

Travellers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels