“Not so great” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mt. Olympus Resort
Ranked #63 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Not so great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

O where to begin....We stayed in what used to be the skyline, but its now owned by mt.olympus, just like every other building on the strip. First, whoever checked us in gave us the wrong building to go to along with the wrong floor. They sent us on a goose hunt with all our luggage in hands. No staff member to be found to help us..That was pretty fun........Our room was clean, tv didnt work at first, had to call maitnence. Mt. Olympus owns WAY TOO MANY buildings, they need to cut it out. The dells is gonna loose alot of buisness because of this money sucker. Getting to the actual waterpark and theme park is an adventure itself. First leaving your hotel to go park at actual mt.olympus is ridiculous and then walking a 5k marathon to get into it to get to the pools. On our last night there we transfered to hotel rome to be closer. Again rooms were clean front desk were idiots again. Walls are paper thin. I think our room was beneth a heard of hippos. Along with children hyped up on sugar running around like banchies through the halls slamming doors. Save yourself the headache and save money, stay at a different hotel (if mt.olympus hasnt bought it yet) one with a pool that will give u a pass to mt.olympus or other wafer park. That way you dont have to road trip from your hotel from the road trip you just came from to go swimming at this place.

3 Thank ashley53086

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Hebrew first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Ok, so I've stayed here 12 times over the last few years with my family. I used to say that this place is so much cheaper than the real resorts that a few inconveniences were ok. I have now changed that opinion based on the following:
1.Wifi is now useless because of all the traffic
2.If you stay anywhere but hotel Rome the closest cup of coffee is 3-5 blocks away
3.Parking has been changed this year. If you are not staying at hotel Rome you will have to park many blocks away from the waterpark.
4. The parks were packed because mt Olympus regularly sells out 1700 rooms. They do offer resort only hours but close 75% of the rides thus nullifying any advantage.
5. Check in is now 4pm with check out at 10:30. That's tough to stomach at $200 a night.
6. I asked several questions of several employees like which rides are open when and about the parking situation and none knew. I blame management not the employees.
7. Check in is a total pain. Long lines and wait times. No kiosk option. No online option
8. Hardwood floors mean tons of noise. This is by far the loudest room I've stayed in.

At the end of the day I think the review that said Mt Olympus will ruin the dells is spot on. These people are the Walmart of dells lodging only Walmart actually does a good job in maintaining quality during rapid expansion.
They are up to 1700 rooms with the same park and infrastructure as when they had 300. Now read the reviews and think about what it will be like when they go out of business. It will go right back to looking like the defunct big chief go cart world it was...only much bigger.

Stayed June 2014
6 Thank sconi

Travellers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was a little nervous to book because of all the bad reviews. I must say it was not bad. We stayed in building 31 which is called the skyline. It was a regular hotel room, nothing fancy. The staff was in the building to help if you needed extra towels or anything. The reason why it was better than The great wolf lodge or the wilderness is because it was so much for the kids to do. The wilderness doesn't have a theme park with roller coasters. My kids loved the theme park and the water park. We will go back again but maybe stay in the actual resort which I think is called The hotel Rome. I couldn't complain I paid $150 for a night with 5 guest with free theme park and water park, I say it was a steal. One of my kids had lost her wristband, You usually would have to pay for another one, but the staff was so nice they gave me another one for free.

Room Tip: I suggest you stay at Hotel Room which is on MT. Olympus resort
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank keisherd
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We decided to go to the waterfall city of the world for our memorial day weekend... after doing much research, we found Mt olympus a good bet and were we right.. nice service, ee were able to check in within minutes... the room was nice, but the show stealer was the water park, especially Poseidon's rage wave pool.. caution-if you wear spects, leave it outside... I did not and the rage engulfed it... a bitter sweet experience :)

Chicago suburbs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Reading all the reviews below, I could see where someone would be angry if they didn't know that their hotel room wasn't physically located at the waterpark like it is at just about every other waterpark in the Dells. I could also see being upset if you were expecting "Disney World" quality hotels, which these rooms certainly are not.

Our off-waterpark building (19) was just off one of the main drags in the Dells (Broadway). It was about a 10 minute drive from the waterpark. Did I like it that it was off-waterpark? Nope. But it was within a 3 minute walk of Broadway, and that's a really nice area with restaurants, shops, a river walk, and such. And I knew it was off-park when I bought it.

If this hotel was a privately owned hotel, it would be a two star hotel. There's nothing wrong with a 2 star hotel, but I think most guests are expecting more, especially if you're a previous waterpark hotel guest (like me) at other water parks around here like Great Wolf, Kalahari, Wilderness, and such. And I think that is what the problem is- people are expecting a similar experience, but you're not going to get it at these Mt. Olympus hotels.

Our group of 6 checked in at the beginning of a very busy Memorial Day weekend. The check-in line was very long. It moved quickly and I was registered in less than 10 minutes. We drove over to the hotel, and frankly it was a little farther than I expected, but it was close to Broadway which we liked.

Obviously Mt. Olympus bought up a bunch of motel properties around the Dells, put a fresh coat of white and blue paint on them, and started selling rooms. We had a 2 room, 3 queen suite in Building 19 on River Road, room 24210. Again, 2 star quality. The room was freshly painted, had decent laminate floors, older but quiet wall unit air conditioners, a medium sized refrigerator, and a microwave. The beds were fine. The headboards were painted (wallpaper?) on the wall along with a Mt. Olympus mural. Other than the murals, the walls were pretty much bare which made the room feel kind of dreary. The bathroom had a new tub with a new plastic wall liner, but small bits of mold dribbled out where the 2 piece wall liner met. If we had complained, I'm sure they would have cleaned it, but it wasn't until our last night that we noticed it. If management is reading this, they can put some caulk on the liner to keep water from getting behind the liners and creating mold.

Is the room quiet? Like any motel it's dependent upon your neighbors. Yes, you could hear kids laughing in the hallway and thumping on the floors above. You're in a motel with a bunch of kids. Kids make noise. It wasn't crazy loud, but the walls and floors are a bit thin.

The wifi was weak. It was unusable from our bedroom, but the kids got a weak signal in their area which was sort of useable. I suspect since our unit was at the "end" of a long hall, we were far away from the router and got a lousy signal. Again, easily fixable if management would just add a router closer to the end units.

Parking was fine at both the motel and the park. Motel guests get free access to the waterpark, along with free parking. Check-out at the motel was at 10:30AM, with an 11AM checkout if you ask. We were told that if we stayed past 11AM, we'd be charged another day.

The kids enjoyed the waterpark/theme park. Just be advised that the outdoor waterpark water is not heated at all, so if you come during a non-summer month the water is quite cold. There is an indoor water park, though, with heated water, along with a small indoor theme park for the little ones (along with an outdoor one). The water park was pretty clean, although they need to have some workers just walking around the park picking up loose pieces of trash. We sat by the large wave pool and loose plastic cups, plates, napkins, and alike were blowing around. Not a lot, but enough that it was noticeable, however we never saw anyone going around our area to pick them up.

Food was a bit overpriced like it is at all theme parks. $7.50 beers, $4 slushees, $7 funnel cakes....you get the idea.

The water park is very large, and the go karts are fun. The roller coasters are fun too. They're not Six Flags quality, but they're decent wooden coasters. The nice thing about the park is that you have "dry" rides and "wet" rides. When you get tired of the waterpark, you can ride go karts or rollercoasters or vice versa. They also had numerous "thrill" rides like those bungee-slingshots and giant 2 person swings that were $10/person per ride. We didn't do any of them, but they looked interesting.

During the long weekend, the park closes early (6pm) for non-Mt. Olympus hotel guests. That was nice on the waterpark end and thinned the crowd out, but on the dry park side, they closed some of the rides, which led to longer lines at the remaining open rides. Kind of lame that they didn't leave all the rides open for their hotel guests.

My suggestion is that if you want to stay at a nicer motel/hotel than a 2 star joint but want to visit Mt. Olympus, shop around the Dells and find a nicer hotel (by whatever criteria you use) that has some sort of package deal with Mt. Olympus or Noah's Ark. Just driving around, it seems to me that many of the Dells hotels are offering package deals that include an overnight stay and either free tickets or steeply discounted tickets to Mt. Olympus or Noah's Ark. You should be able to find something that works.

So, overall, I'm giving the resort an "average" rating. The motels were an "average" 2 star hotel, and the theme park was above average. It cost us just under 600 bucks for 2 nights at the motel and 3 days at the Mt. Olympus park for 6 people over a holiday weekend......not a bad deal in my opinion. The kids had a great time, which was the most important thing.

Room Tip: If you want to stay on the waterpark property, stay in one of the Rome hotels. If you want to be wi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
7 Thank ualdriver
Woodbury, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Reading all the reviews on here about Mt.Olympus definitely made me think twice about booking there but I love trying new things so we gave it a shot...and it was AWESOME!!

We stayed in building 25. Our room was nice, clean and quiet. The waterpark and theme parks were fun! The staff were all very nice and helpful. We didnt eat in the park, we ate outside of the park.

Overall, it was great. We're from MN so it was a 3 hour drive. Very cool place. Fun is what you make of it. We were there for 3 days and 2 nights.. spent a total of 560.00 for hotel, food and fun shopping.

Give it shot..its alot of fun! These negative reviews are just super picky people. Dont forget to go on Poseidons Rage, it was heck of alot of fun.

Heres a thought: If people only have nothing but bad reviews for Mt. Olympus..why are there so many people who go there and why are they still up and running??? Answer: Because Mt.Olympus is awesome!!!!!!

Fyi: cheapest way to go is book hotel with mt.olympus, you get free admission to waterpark and themepark plus bonus a free day.. thats what we got :) and dont forget to tour wisc. Dells, the town is so wonderful :)

2 Thank Houa Y
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We has a 3 night reservation. Upon check in we were severely disappointed. The rooms were disgusting! The bathroom had hair, the floors were dirty, the room smelled and the beds were hard as a rock and you could feel the springs. We miserably suffered through one night, even our 4 and 7 year old wanted to leave. After one night there was no possible way we could stay any longer. The indoor pool has so much chlorine that we couldn't be in it longer than an hour becauW we all had eye and skin irritations. The walkway to the pool from the hotel is disgusting!! Extremely dirty, stuff smeared all over the walls, almost made me throw up. This place is an absolute dump!! I don't care if they pay you to stay there, don't so it! Don't put yourself through the pain! We checked out two days early and wasted so much time and money on this dump! Never, ever again - beware!!!!

• Stayed April 2014