“Mt. Olympus Village - Former Skyline Hotel”
Review of Mt. Olympus Resort

Mt. Olympus Resort
Ranked #64 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Mt. Olympus Village - Former Skyline Hotel”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We recently stayed at Mt. Olympus Village. Our hotel was across the street from the park at the old Skyline Hotel. We had two rooms for our family. When we got tot he hotel, our kids walked in to their room and immediately told us there was a strong stench in the room. We walked in and also smelled a horrible sewer smell. We did call and ask for a new room and got one for the kids.

Overall, we were very disappointed. Mt. Olympus has purchased many old hotels at the Dells and uses them to warehouse their guests. I was hoping to relax at our hotel pool while the kids were across the street at the water park, but the pool and former indoor water park were closed down. The windows into the pool area had been blackened so the guests could not see the former pool area. There also was no front desk or customer service available within the hotel.

The chair by the table was stained. The soaps, toilet paper and shampoo were of the lowest quality I have ever seen at a hotel. There was no coffee maker, but instant coffee and a microwave was available. Our TV broke and did not have any volume as we were watching it at night. I know these are small things, but it really reinforced the idea that Mt. Olympus basicly wanted to only provide guests with a bed and bathroom by shutting down the rest of the hotel amenities. I would have preferred to spend a little more to have the convenience of a pool at my hotel. My husband and I did not want to have to parkour car, walk a very long distance and then realize there was not a lounge chair at the crowded water park or pool.

I also think that the Dells has lost some character with so many ugly blue and white painted hotels in Mt. Olympus Village. I hope Mt. Olympus rethinks this and gives a middle of the road option between Hotel Rome and the Village.

Room Tip: Stay at Hotel Rome if that is available.
2 Thank sgc777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Hebrew first
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I must admit, after reading some of the other reviews for Mt. Olympus village properties, we actually didn't have it so bad. My family of 5 stayed 3 nights. Sure the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything from outside and the neighbouring rooms, but our room was pretty clean I must admit. The room had 2 queens and a nice cold fridge. My real problems with the room were that the air conditioner was right beside the bed- (solution...turn it off at night). Hmmm...can't really think of anything else except that they blocked off the building access to the sidewalk with rocks. (what a stupid idea) The "resort" is also only a couple minutes walk to the theme park. I don't think I would stay here again, but from the sounds of it, building 6 is a lot better than some of the other buildings.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

If I wanted to stay in a low budget roadside motel I would have chose one......we booked a double queen room with the thoughts it would be at hotel Rome to our surprise we paid $508.00 for a 2 night stay at an old repainted mom and pop hotel that Mt Olympus bought and called it the VIllage......Our "luxury" room had two double beds with painted headboard and if that wasnt awesome enough we were fully equipped with plastic lawn furniture in our room to sit on......dont try to use the restroom with the door closed if you are over 5'5". The only decent thing I can say is we were promptly refunded our money. That worked out great we stayed at the best western which was awesome!!!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank opgirls

Travellers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We just stayed at the Mt. Olympus resort this past weekend. After reading the bad reviews we would have cancelled if we would have been outside of the 72 hours. We went anyway and we were glad we did. It was a good place to stay for 1 night. Our kids (ages 8, 11 & 14) loved all of the rides.
We were glad we read Trip Advisor beforehand so we could be mentally prepared. Here are a few of my tips:
1) We paid almost $300/night for 5 people. We stayed in building 10. Rooms looked just like the pictures. However, this is really a motel feel. It is a place to sleep. That is about it.
2) Roller coasters were too bumpy for me, but my kids loved them. The only wait was for Hades. It was 30 minutes.
3) There are long lines for the water park rides. My tip is to get there when it opens. We felt we had the place to ourselves for a good hour.
4) Staff was fine and answered questions. We had to call security because of a party next door. They arrived within 5 minutes and took care of it. We didn't hear anything the rest of the night.
5) We had a lot of trouble with Wifi
6) It is a pain to have to drive to the water park. There were only 2 lots we could park in.

2 Thank 61397
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2014

When checking in, you have to go to Hotel Rome. There was ample room for check-in parking and lots of staff. Most staff are students from Eastern Europe and Jamaica (as we were told by the students). We had some miscommunication at times, however, it was resolved and found all the workers we came in contact with tried to be very helpful and friendly. Our room was cleaned daily and besides some food never cleaned off the wall behind the table, the room was clean. No coffee makers but you are supplied with instant coffee (we didn't like it). We also had a microwave, mini fridge and hair dryer. Small TV, but didn't care as we only watched it first thing in the morning and before going to bed.
Pros staying in village: Much cheaper than Hotel Rome, we did book the save $120 p/n online. Room was nicer than friends we went into at Hotel Rome and over $100 cheaper PER NIGHT! (they had also booked with the deal online). Have the same accessibility to the Water Parks as staying in Hotel Rome Con: Have to drive to the village whereas in Hotel Rome you can walk back to have lunch and snacks and return to the park quickly. Remember: no food or drinks can be brought into park so it's much cheaper to eat in your room.

Room Tip: Stayed in Building #31-2nd floor. Odd room # so there was a light at all times through our window, b...
1 Thank 33Tanya
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Booked 3 nights "right across from waterpark"; wasn't- actually 1.4 miles away, smelly room/bldg, holes in screens, cig holes in furniture, old food on floor, syrup on nightstand and under drawer pulls, promised a "better room" first thing in am, no room and all freezer items ruined. Spoke to manager "Jared" about terrible experience, and was told "oh well". Horrible! Left and went to Kalahari; amazing difference! Wish we'd have come here from night #1!!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Duztyroze
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Our hotel building was not as bad as the family we came with. We were assigned to building number 10, which to me, was the least that didn't feel like a motel (Unless, of course, you stayed in Hotel Rome). We got a corner room; therefore the room was a lot larger than the normal 2 queen and a bunk room. I loved the amount of room we were assigned because we were a family of five and (with our luggage), it can get a little tight. But this room provided the perfect amount of room (and more)! The only negative was the bathroom. It smelled (meaning I had to spray perfume just to use it because it smelled like mold), the light switch was slightly cracked, there was no light cover on the ceiling light, and there looked to be a booger on the wall next to the toilet paper roll (see picture).

Pros: Our room was on the first floor, which was easily accessible from two side doors. The main lobby has a pool table, game room, and exercise room.

Cons: The exercise room didn't open until 8 am and by that time, I didn't want to exercise, I wanted breakfast so we didn't loose time. Also, there was not coffee machine in the room or nearby. I need my coffee first thing in the morning and I was pissed I had to hike to the main building for some. Finally, the maid service is really slow. No one came to clean our room until 5 p.m. We ate breakfast, swam, ate lunch and returned by 4 pm to the same room as we left. Usually I wouldn't be upset, but we needed more towels.

If you are looking to go dancing and drinking later in the evening, their club Wett, was right across the street from our hotel building. We did not partake in the club scene because we came with kids.

WATERPARK

The water park is pretty cool but I expected a lot more. They have both water and dry rides. We took advantage of both their indoor and outdoor activities but it got boring very quickly. The best for my kids was the wave pool. It was, by far, the craziest wave pool we have ever seen and been in.

Downside was the lifeguards who I kept seeing looking elsewhere besides the inside of the wave pool. They should really warn people how high and strong that wave pool will be because you can definitely get pulled under or loose an item on you. (our nephew lost his classes and our niece hurt her elbow).

But I will have to say, the BEST part of the park were the go-karts. There was so much laughing, racing, and fun going on with my oldest controlling the wheel and I, controlling the petals. Definitely something to remember.

Pros: Fun outdoor activities for all ages.

Cons: Lifeguards should be more aware and strict on the rules. I saw water balloon pieces in one pool and I believe that it could be very dangerous for the smaller kids. There was also a LONG string of snot in the small pool...disgusting! The indoor park is not very exciting. We've been to better.

Overall, I will not be staying at this resort again. I've heard there are A LOT more options to choose from, which are better, at the Dells. Although this may be the biggest one, (at least from what I've seen), it is not all that it's cracked up to be. Sad.

Room Tip: Stay in Hotel Rome! If you want a good room, pay the extra they charge. Or, if you need two queens...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family