“Exceptional Service Very Nice Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I am a frequent business traveler to this location. The front desk is always friendly, efficient and exceptionally helpful. They go above and beyond to ensure the guest is satisfied. This hotel is clean and well maintained. My only suggestion to make it an exceptional overall hotel experience would be adding new pillows.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Welcome back and thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay! Its always nice to see our hard work pay off! Customer service is something we live by and preach regularly! Its always nice when the guest takes notice. In regards to the pillows IHG just released new standards and we have ordered the new pillows. We have received many positive comments in regards to our pillows but Ill be sure to cover your comments with my direct supervisors. We look forward to the next time we have the privilege to host you!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I should have been more vigilant about checking reviews before staying at this property. However I made the assumption that like other IHG properties I would be more than satisfied here.

True - the front desk person was friendly and had a great personality. Check in went great in itself. Then the trip to my room. This property is certainly not an IHG level of property. In the way the hotel is laid out. In the hotel itself & beds.

However I was there, and I stayed for the night. Breakfast was another thing. Really busy - but they didn't have anything that looked to interest me, and so I left. I went to McDonald's. That was a separate mistake. I've never paid over $2.00 for a cup of coffee at McDonald's. And before you all say it - yes it is a tourist town. But really - it's April. How many Duck Boats & visitors do you think are out right now? The outdoor water parks are closed. But enough of this...

So as always I did get and keep my receipt as per normal. But I always go on to the IHG website to download a copy of my receipt for expense reports. That doesn't work at this property. This is the statement you get when you attempt that:

Bill Not Available
The ability to access your hotel bill is not supported by WISCONSIN DELLS at this time.
To obtain a copy of your bill, please contact the hotel at 1-608-2533000.

** REALLY - in 2014 an IHG property that doesn't have an electronic receipt available?

Room Tip: Well worn out beds. No electronic bill receipt.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. Im happy to see you found our front desk associate to be nice with a nice personality as we get many other positive responses in regards to our guest service representatives. I do apologize that you found the layout of our property not satisfactory. When this hotel was originally built it was called the Camelot. It had a castle theme and all. We renovated in 2007 and actually won an award for being the best renovated property for all IHG hotels. In regards to receiving a copy of your bill electronically this is not something we knew was an issue. If this is something you use regularly I can completely understand how frustrating that can be. I have printed off your review and have forwarded it to our IHG Regional manager to try and rectify this issue so going forward it should be available. I appreciate the feedback as it will be used to make sure every other guest who would like to use this option can utilize it. If you still need a copy of the bill please just send me your name and info and I will gladly send you another copy. My email address is fdm@dellshotels.com.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I traveled without kids so we did not use the watermark. From the viewing deck it looks nice. The hotel staff was very friendly and effecient. The breakfast was very good compared to other HI Express that we have stayed at. Not a five star place but very good quality for the price.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank C
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Highly recommended! Close to all Kalahari off the interstate, kids absolutely loved the pool ! Staff was friendly and it was super clean! Breakfast was awesome, overall best hotel my family has ever styled at !

• Stayed: April 2014
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

I'm happy to see we exceeded your expectations! Thank you for letting the world know. We look forward to next time we have the privilege of serving you!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We started our trip at the Chula Vista for a volleyball tournament, as family members were coaches, so our club paid for the room. On the night that we were "on our own", we were supposed to stay at another hotel (on points, my husband is a business traveller) but after reading the reviews, we decided to forfeit those points and rebooked at the Holiday Inn Express (again with points). We have stayed here previously, so knew it was a good hotel. The rooms are very nicely decorated and clean. The beds are super comfortable, and while the room aren't huge, they were fine for us. There was a really pleasant "apple" scent throughout the hallways. The pool is really large, but could use some cleaning around the pool deck. There is a slide and a separate kiddie pool. There is also an outdoor pool, but as we were there in March we didn't use it. The slide was also closed, Brighter lights in the pool area would be nice, it was pretty dark, maybe even a safety issue, as there were lots of "shadows" which could make it hard to see if someone was in the bottom of the pool. Breakfast was great. A good selection, fresh and hot. There is a make your own pancake machine, and the girl at the front desk showed us how it worked. We ate at the buffet at the Chula VIsta and that was overpriced and awful quality...the food here at the Holiday Inn was free and we have never had bad quality food at any HIE that we have stayed at. The hotel is located just off the highway past the Kalahari and across from the outlet mall. Plenty of activities and restaurants right there within walking distance plus an easy drive to the other attractions throughout town. We will definitely stay here again during our summer visits to the Dells. (we usually stay at the Wilderness in the winter). All of the staff that we encountered were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I would assume that all of the rooms are of good quality, so it's just a matter of what type you...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank j e

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay! It was great to have you back again! I'm happy to see all the positives you found as we work very hard to ensure every guest feels this way! I have printed off your comments and will be sure to share them with our management team. In regards to the slide being closed; in the "off-season" our slide is only open on the weekends. I'm happy to read you and your family were still able to enjoy the pool. I'm also happy to see you got an opportunity to enjoy the breakfast! We look forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you again.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Friendly staff, clean rooms, nice little water park for smaller children and pool with slide for older children. Arcade room too. One of the best continental breakfast we have had...lots of variety, loved the pancake maker :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Went to the Dells for Spring Break but did not want to spend a lot of money for the big resorts due to my nephew coming with. He is a toddler so we thought the Holiday Inn Express would be okay because they had a small waterpark good for his age. We had stayed there when it was first built and was called something else and remember the rooms being very nice and the waterpark being small but sufficient for a 2 year old. The rooms were very nice and clean, as were the lobby and the common areas. The activity room and the pool need some work. The activity room where they have a couple of arcade games was not used much. There was a towel on the window ledge in the corner that was growing black things (mold?) on it so who knows how long it was there. Also the waterpark is showing its age. The waterpark elements like the slides, castle, etc.... were quite worn out and I had to make sure they would not hurt my nephew because the plastic and vinyl were well worn. They also had a big hole in the ceiling (they were doing roof work) which may had scattered a little debris in the pool. The whole pool area could use a deep cleaning. It was not bad enough to ruin the trip but would make me think twice to go back for their waterpark. It is a shame because the rest of the hotel and the people were very nice!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We always appreciate our valued customers feedback which is used to gauge how we as a staff are performing and what we can improve upon. We are excited you returned to our property which was formally known as the Camelot and apologize for the tidiness of the pool area as I can completely understand how frustrating this can be. As you mentioned our roof in the pool area did take a beating this winter. I can happily say we are already is the process of getting that repaired and it will be completed soon. The towel in the area was there to catch the dripping water, it was not for mold. I have printed off your review and will be covering it with our housekeeping team, maintenance team, and lifeguard supervisor. Next time you are in town I'm hoping you are willing to give us another chance to host you so you can see the work we will have put into the area to bring it back to our own standards. We appreciate all the feedback you've provided and look forward to the next time we have the privilege of calling you our guest!