“Location was very good”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Palm Bay, Florida
“Location was very good”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was a very good location and the staff was very helpful. Rooms looked like they had been remodeled. Menu was typical for change with the standard breakfast items.. Nice indoor and outdoor pool especially for children.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ronald G
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Ronald G,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. I'm happy to see everything went so well from our location to our staff. We look forward to the next time we have the privilege of calling you our guest!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Holiday Inn is in great location close to restaurants and attractions that Dells has to offer. We used this hotel for our ski trip. Our kid loves water slides and pools, but she is too small for the water parks like Kalahari. This hotel has a great indoor pool for kids which has an area just for kids, water slide and water playground. For older kids there also is a game room. Breakfast was great, nothing fancy but tasted good and there was enough for everyone. The staff that operated the breakfast were attentive and polite. We will definitely be back at this hotel for our next trip to Wisconsin Dells

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JACEK L
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Jacek,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay! Our staff works very hard to ensure every guest feels the way you did upon leaving our property. I have printed off your review to hang on our wall so all the employees can see your comments. Its always great when the hard work pays off and our guest take notice! We look forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you and your family! Come back soon!
Chicagoland, IL
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Wisconsin Dells over spring break. We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The facility was nice and clean, and the staff very friendly. We had an extended family stay, and took advantage of the Presidential Suite. It was fantastic. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room very clean upon arrival. There was plenty of room for all of our party to be together in the Presidential Suite. The little ones who traveled with us keep asking "when are we going back to our vacation house" as they were as impressed as the adults with the Suite. The breakfast was a nice plus, everything was fresh and tasty and we took advantage of that added benefit of staying at this location every day.

The hotel is located convenient to a lot of different things to do in Wisconsin Dells. There is an outlet mall very close by, also Kalahari and Knuckleheads are only minutes away. The pool area, while not as huge or fancy as say one of the indoor water parks, suited our needs fine. It was a large indoor pool. It had a nice play area for the smaller kids, and a larger pool which was nice and warm. The only disappointment of the trip was that the slide was not open when we were there. It was mentioned on the website, the days of the slide operation, but I missed it. The kids still had lots of fun and it wasn't a big issue, but still had a couple of the kids asking "when's the slide going to be open". We didn't get to use the outdoor pool as it wasn't open yet for the season when we were there, but it looked very nice as well.

All in all, it was a very nice trip and the hotel seemed quite nice and suited our needs perfectly. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
SgtDisney,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay! I'm happy to see all the positives you found and that you and your family were able to utilize our one of a kind Presidential suite! We only have one here on property that is like that and we feel it is perfect for large families looking to escape some of the "craziness" some of the bigger resorts have. We appreciate all the kind words and work very hard to ensure every guest feels this way. Its always nice to see the hard work noticed by our guest. Come back anytime, as we are already looking forward to the next time that we have the privilege of serving you!
Columbia City, Indiana
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is a nice hotel to stay at. Great location, safe area, clean and very friendly staff.

The staff is wonderful and very helpful. Before we arrived, they had pool trouble and called to let us know before we came. I thought that was very professional. My son was disappointed that all pools and hot tub were not open right away, but they had one pool open the entire time and the rest they got opened as quickly as they could. The only issue I saw with the pool is there are four pools and only one lifeguard.

When we arrived we had a problem with our air conditioner. They sent maintenance up right away and had it taken care of very quickly with no issues.

There is a woman in the breakfast area that sings every morning and the staff is friendly and helpful. That makes me think they are a happy staff and want to make their guests comfortable.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good deal close to the attractions but quiet for sleeping. Comfy beds and pillows as well.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor which is the same floor as the front desk. You have to go down for the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Renee K,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay! I do apologize for the pool situation but I'm happy we were able to contact you prior to your arrival as we never want a guest to feel "surprised" when they arrive if an amenity is not available. I can happily say all four of our pools are open (2 big pools, 2 kiddie pools) and ready for our guest to use! I have printed off your review and have shown it to Delrose who is our breakfast attendant that is always singing. We are very lucky to have her on our staff. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay! We look forward to the next time that we have the privilege of serving you and your family!
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our first stay at this hotel, but it won't be the last. Checked in Thursday evening; the front desk staff were friendly and professional - the young lady appeared to be in training. We were assigned a room on the first floor; I asked if there was anything available on the top (third) floor as I didn't want to hear people above us. The request was dealt with in a helpful manner, and fortunately we were able to move to the top floor. Once we got in the room, we noticed a strange smell that was stronger in different areas - it smelled like a perm. After about an hour we realized that we would not be able to take this smell for three nights so I called the front desk and explained the issue and asked if we could be moved to a different room on the top floor. Again the staff was responsive and efficiently assigned us to a different room, and even brought up a cart to help us change rooms.

Once we changed rooms, we really didn't hear a thing. The doors don't slam shut, the housekeeping staff doesn't chat in the hallways, and there was no noise from rooms on either side. It was wonderful.

The beds are very comfortable, and the pillows are even labelled "firm" and "soft". There was a fridge and microwave in the room. The television had lots of channels and the internet signal was strong.

Breakfast was "OK" - nothing wrong with it but nothing great. After a few days you start to hope there will be something new, but it was the same each morning. The breakfast area is very packed on the weekend, so we took our breakfast back to the room to eat.

After we checked out Sunday morning we stayed to use the outdoor pool area. There is also an indoor pool, but the weather was glorious! There are lots of tables, chairs and lounge chairs. There is a very shallow wading area for little ones, and a larger pool on the other side. We even went down the water slide a few times! I liked the nice flower boxes on the fence around the pool area, and listening to the birds in the trees.

As we were walking down the hallway the morning we checked out, a "mature" lady housekeeper said "Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you back soon!" I have never NEVER had a housekeeper make an effort like that. I was very impressed with that gesture.

We are returning to this facility next month, and I asked if we could have the same room. Again, the request was handled efficiently and in a very guest oriented manner.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean and quiet place to stay, with a great indoor and outdoor pool! We're looking forward to coming back!

Room Tip: The third floor is the top level.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Mitchamtoo,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay! I'm happy to see all the positives you found while you were our guest and we look forward to your return visit! I have printed off your review and have also hung a copy of the review down in the housekeeping area to ensure all our housekeepers can see that the little things like saying thank you to our guest really do matter and that its not just the front desk who converses with our guest but every person who is on the staff! We appreciate all the feedback and cant wait till we have the privilege of serving you once again! Its an honor to be able to call you our guest!
kingfam
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We picked this hotel because we only planned one day at a water park and wanted to have time to just play at the hotel. The outdoor pool was down on the nicest day :(
There was a smoky smell in the hotel. Our room could've been cleaner (found "treasures/trash" that weren't ours when doing a room sweep when we left). Bedding bathroom etc was good.
Delrose in the breakfast area, was awesome!! Watched her try to help a dad with an unhappy kiddo by singing. She made me smile each morning!
The lifeguard the first day was busy being the maintenance man (necessary I'm sure) as well (which really defeats the purpose of not opening the slide indoors until 3, especially when the outdoor pool is down!) but the second day the new kid was great! He actually watched the pool and paid attention!
Seemed to be training a lot of new staff all over. Seems we came at a bad time maybe? Felt bad for everyone...
We've stayed at way worse during this trip, just a lot of little things in one place. If we ever come to the dells again we might try it another time.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank famofboyz
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. I'm happy to see the positives you found during your stay with us and we also believe Delrose is an exceptional employee! This is her second year returning to the Wisconsin Dells area as a J-1 Student and we made sure to have her back with us. I have printed off your review to share with her as she takes great pride in her work and I know this will make her day so again, thank you! You have our most sincere apologies about the outdoor pool as we can completely understand how frustrating that can be. We thought we had everything filled and ready to go but an unexpected issue arose and we've been doing our best to rectify this issue as soon as possible so that the guest is able to utilize everything our property has to offer. Believe me, nobody wants this completed faster than we do! I assure you we are doing everything in our power to ensure this happens as quickly as possible and if all goes as well we should have everything filled and ready to go by this weekend! I hope next time you are in town you will give us another try so that you can be sure to utilize all we have to offer in regards to our pool areas. Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you!
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The check in was average, the room and beds were ok, although the dim fluorescent lighting made it feel like an old Sears store. My main issue was the smell, the entrance smelled like cigarettes (I guess lots of people have stood in the doorway and smoked) and the hallway and my room smelled like old cigarette smoke. The hotel is non-smoking but maybe they just changed that rule fairly recently so everything still smells like a retired riverboat gambling vessel. If you are a smoker, even though it is a non-smoking hotel I would still smoke and just leave the window open. As long as they don't see the smoke they would never know. I don't smoke so I won't be back to this property. Oh, and I also skipped breakfast at the hotel, I just wanted to leave. Any non-smokers who want to stay here, bring lots of Febreze. The people who gave this hotel good reviews must normally stay at some real dumps...like where Elwood Blues was living.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
Green Features: They keep the smoke in the hotel so that it doesn't pollute the air outside.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael F
WisDellsHiexGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. I do apologize for the smell of smoke as I can completely understand how frustrating something like this can be. The entire state of Wisconsin is non smoking meaning guest are not allowed to smoke in our rooms. We do have areas set up outside where guest can smoke which all have ashtrays. We renovated back in 2007 and won an award for being the best renovated IHG hotel. During this time we also removed the 8 smoking rooms we had available. Every room in the hotel is now non smoking and on the registration cards guest sign they agree to not smoke in the room. If we find a guest that has smoked in the room a $250 cleaning fee is charged to that guest. This is signed and initialed by every guest who checks in. As you can see from the reviews many guest find our property to be clean and smoke free. We appreciate the feedback and feel it was a privilege to call you our guest! I hope next time you are in town you are willing to give us another chance to host you so that you can see this is not a reoccurring issue.