“Very nice”

Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We thought the hotel was nice and clean, the staff very friendly, but pricey for us older folks who only need a place to stay and don't care about having a pool. We liked being on the south edge of town where the roads aren't so crowded. Like another review, we opted to go somewhere else to eat both mornings because the dining room was so crowded. I can't imagine what it is like on the weekends. My son has MD and needs a walker so it was impossible for him to get into the room where the food was. Our only other complaint was that even though there was a switch to turn on the fan, rather than auto, it didn't work. So we had to listen to it turn on and off during the night with the a/c. We like a fan on during the night to drown out the noise of other occupants so that was a bit disturbing because there are lots of families coming in into the wee hours so that kept us up some. But all in all I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

1  Thank Rebecca P
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Rebecca P,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated. We are happy to see everything went so well and the our location was perfect for you and your family. In regards to the breakfast seating, this is our biggest challenge. We did add more tables for seating by opening up the game room during breakfast hours but I know that fills up fast as well. Again, thank you for the feedback and we are already looking forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you and your family! Come back soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife & I stayed here because we went to the Crystal Grand Theater to see Peter Frampton. The staff is very friendly and are very polite. We spent some time by the outdoor pool which was very nice. The location is right off I94 and easy to get to the downtown area. The complimentary breakfast was very tasty and had a nice variety of food & juices. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Tom P,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We are happy to see everything went so well and we hope you enjoyed the concert! We look forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family and I went to the Dells for a quick vacation. We went from Saturday-Monday in August. Check-in was a breeze, our room were ready for right at check-in time. We got the king bed room and it included a sofa-bed. We walked in and the room was very clean, as the rest of the hotel was. For the first night we stayed in the hotel and hung out at the pool. My children are young and they loved the zero-depth pools. The pool are was pretty empty and at moments we had the pool to ourselves. The water was clean in the indoor pools and u can just smell the chlorine. The zero-depth outdoor pool was so cold, but surprisingly the outdoor pool was warm. The bed was comfy and they give you a lot of pillows, they also give u complimentary toiletries if in case you forget yours. Big turn off was Breakfast, it is a complete mess, there are soooo many people waiting in line. It was our fault to, making at 8:30, but I have traveled a lot and I have never seen any hotel this packed even near the end of breakfast. I feel as they are a big a popular hotel, they should be able to accommodate all their guests. I also cut my pinky toe on the cement floor of the indoor zero depth pool. There was a patch of cement flooring missing and was playing with my daughter and unknowing slide across it, ouch! For the money I paid to stay, they need to better maintain their pools. Regardless we had a nice stay, staff was friendly, but maybe we will wake up earlier for breakfast next time.

Room Tip: Get up off breakfast early!

Monchis14,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We appreciate the feedback as this is what is used to see how we as a staff are performing and what we can improve upon. We are happy to see that everything went well from the check in to the room accommodations. Our pool area is a great amenity and we are happy read you were able to enjoy it all to yourselves. As you had mentioned our breakfast area is our biggest challenge. When the hotel does do a remodel that area will be expanded but we have to wait for the remodeling to take place first. I have also printed off your comment to give to our pool certified maintenance man. This is something that will be addressed right away as safety is our number one priority. We appreciate the feedback and are already looking forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you and your family!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

When we visit the Dells in the winter, we tend to stay at the Kalahari because we can park and stay the entire trip without leaving the property. Trying to drag the kids out of the pool for dinner is a disaster! In the summer, however, we love to explore the various outdoor waterparks, lakes, restaurants, downtown, etc. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for the first time this weekend and had a fantastic time - the rooms were perfect, the hot breakfast was wonderful, and the indoor/outdoor pool with awesome waterslides were a HUGE hit.

Both the indoor and outdoor pools have a fun waterslide and swimming area. The indoor area also has a hot tub and children's play area with a castle and two small slides - the water in this play area is about 0.5 - 1 foot deep. The outdoor pool has a children's play area as well, though for some reason the slide/swimming pool is heated but children's play area/slides are not. This wasn't a problem as we visited on an 80-degree day. Also, the pools are open until 11pm, which was very entertaining as we were able to bribe the kids with "finish your dinner so you can go back in the pool!"

We stayed in a room with two double beds and one pull out couch - the linens for the pullout couch were missing a blanket and a fitted sheet, but I didn't realize this until everyone in our room was sleeping and I didn't feel like running down to the front desk, I'm sure they would have rectified it immediately - everyone was so cheerful!

The hot breakfast was a bit crowded on Saturday morning (totally understandable.. busy season, etc) but we couldn't find a place to sit and ended up eating back in our room. Kids thought it was great to eat in front of the TV, so no harm no foul.

In terms of location, I love staying on this "side" of town because the traffic is much more manageable than driving the strip near Noah's Ark and Mount Olympus. The (fantastic) outlet mall is just across the highway and many restaurants to choose from without diving back into that traffic.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
WisDellsHiexGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Pharmernicole,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay! We appreciate all the feedback and feel our property is perfect for families with children who want to escape some of the "craziness" the bigger resorts bring. We are happy everyone was able to enjoy the pool area and the free hot breakfast. We are already looking forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you and your family. Come back soon!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

After doing a lot of research to find the perfect hotel for our Dells vacation I was not disappointed in my choice. The price was perfect and for my family of four. We stayed in a 2 queen bed room with a pull out couch. We appreciated the small refrigerator as well. The hotel in general was clean as was our room. The beds were incredibly comfortable. We knew we would be out and about the Dells and would not be spending much time in our room or at the hotel so there was no need for a hotel with a large waterpark attached. We did swim in the pools one night and it was perfect. My daughter used the fitness room all four mornings and was pleased with the equipment. Knowing it was a free continental breakfast I did not expect much and planned accordingly by packing cereal to bring with us. We were able to get milk and some fruit and juice at the buffet. My husband did eat the eggs and oatmeal and was happy. There was also yogurt, bagels, cinnamon rolls, sausage, biscuits and gravy. It does get very crowded however I still feel it was a nice benefit which we used during our stay. The only other complaint I had was that the dresser drawer did not function but in the grand scheme of things it seemed very minor. The staff was very friendly and we all got a great night sleep each of the 4 nights we stayed. We would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Mhoyt68

Mhoyt68,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay and for going online to let the world know what you thought! We are happy to see everything went well and that everyone was able to enjoy the amenities we offer here on property. We feel we are a perfect hotel for families and its always nice to see when our guest go online to let us know everything went great! We take great pride in our cleanliness and customer service so its also nice to see when the guest takes notice. We look forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you and your family and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was our first trip to The Dells. Originally, we booked 4 nights at Mt. Olympus. Honestly, you couldn't find a worse hotel than Mt. Olympus. We checked out after one night and went in search of a better option.

We found the Holiday Inn Express. It looked modern and new from the outside. It's pricing was reasonable, so we took a shot. We were very pleased with the hotel. The staff is very friendly. The rooms were clean with refrigerators. (Note: the sink is outside of the bathroom which can be a problem when people wash their hands in the middle of the night.)

The pool area is very nice and large. My wife and I enjoyed the hot tub. My kids (8 and 11) enjoyed the water slide. There were plenty of towels.

Breakfast was "ok". Actually, the hotel was full therefore it was a bit chaotic at breakfast. The food was nothing special however they kept it well stocked.

After one night at Mt. Olympus, we couldn't be more pleased with this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor (top floor) which worked out well. The first floor is in the "bas...

demr1234,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We are happy to see we able to come to the rescue and enable you to enjoy the rest of your planned vacation. We hope going forward we are now your hotel of choice when it comes to accommodations here in the Wisconsin Dells area and we are already looking forward to the next time we have the pleasure of serving you!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

The stay here was nice. We arrived to a friendly desk clerk and a quick check in. The lobby area was nice.

The room...Our room was on the bottom floor in what I would consider the basement. It was on the same level as the inside pool so it was fine. The problem with this floor is it was very loud and had little to NO access to the wi fi. The GM did what he could to get it fixed but it never worked great. The upper floor guests woke very early which in turn woke us up every morning of our trip. The room felt a little cramped probably due to the fact the sink and counter is in the room and not in the bathroom. This also meant the bathroom was very small. It was tastefully decorated and super clean therefore it was fine with us. Our phone didn't work but a quick walk to the front desk and they had it fixed at exactly the time they said they would be there. Everything else was in good working order and was very clean. We enjoyed having a fridge and microwave in the room and the air conditioner worked great.

Pool/kids pool and slide...This is not on the same level as the mega resorts in the Dells however, it was perfect for my 4 and 12 year old daughters. They had a very nice area for the kids both inside and out. They loved the waterslides and it wasn't overly crowded. The lifeguards were attentive and friendly and kept the towels stocked. We enjoyed our time there.

Breakfast...Great free morning breakfast. It is best to get there early. Since the people above us woke us so early we ate early most mornings and had a place to sit. Get there late and you may be stuck eating in the muggy area by the pool. They really need more tables but I didn't see any place to put them. The staff tending the breakfast area is fantastic. They keep it clean and well stocked. They are very friendly and eager to make breakfast an enjoyable experience. My daughter LOVED the pancake maker.

Overall we really liked our stay here. It was great for the value. We loved the location. Though it is not one of the mega resorts we felt like it was a great place to stay with a nice free breakfast and a place for the kids to enjoy a little down time without the crowd. The staff was very friendly and made a great effort to take care of any issue he had. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floor. Bottom floor is loud and had no wi fi connection.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

TRVLMOMSTL,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We are happy to see everything went so well and that everyone was able to enjoy our breakfast and pool areas. We feel we are perfect place to escape some of the "Craziness" the bigger resorts have and we are happy to see you and your family were able to take advantage of the numerous amenities we have to offer. I will be sure to forward on your comments to our internet provider so that this can be addressed immediately! We appreciate all the feedback and are already looking forward to the next time we have the privilege of serving you and your family!