“Nice family hotel”

Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wildwood, Missouri
“Nice family hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed August 3-5. Room was very clean. Décor is from the 80's but in good condition. Pools were fun even for older kids. Staff was very helpful. Internet worked great; they said they had recent system upgrades. Breakfast would be a nice addition. Tickets to waterpark was easy; get armband at hotel desk at check-in and good for whole stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This has to be the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. This review is more about the hotel and not the staff. The staff were fine. Upon entering our room a strong funky odor was present. It smelled like dirty feet and mildew combined. It was so humid in the room it felt like a rainforest. The surfaces, sheets, and window were damp. We were hungary and exhausted, so we dropped our bags, adjusted the a/c with the hopes it would take the humidity down to a tolerable level, and took off for a couple hours to eat. When we got back to the room, it stunk just as bad and it was actually more humid! It was obvious the a/c wasn't working properly and not to mention that there wasn't enough air flow due to lack of return air from the tiny vent in the bathroom. I took a closer look at the a/c and noticed how disgustingly dirty it was. There was mold growing on the vent fins! And then I got an extra whiff of the funk...coming out of the a/c...the source of the ungodly stench! I made a call to the front desk to request another room, however there wasn't anything available. All she could offer us was a repair while we would be gone to the waterpark the next day. She also wanted to place an ozone generator in the room to get rid of the smell (not a good idea as ozone is bad to breathe in). I told her I was concerned that we were breathing in mold. She said there wasn't anything she could do until the next day. I kick myself now and should have used better judgement and gotten my family the hell out of there. We stuck it out and what a mistake. I slept not one minute. My wife and kids maybe got 1 hour. We all had stuffy noses and felt ill by morning. I went to the front desk and explained the situation. She said they could have just replaced the a/c the evening before which didn't sound realistic. I then cancelled our next 2 nights of stay. She credited the two nights, but that was it! I went back to the room and got the car packed, went back to the front desk and demanded a refund for the torturous evening. She gave us half of our money back. I conceded and accepted the refund -- and really only because I just wanted to get out of there. Went across the street and booked a room at the Holiday Inn for the remainder of our stay. We tried to get into The Wilderness, but they were all booked of course. The Holiday Inn is turning out to be a lifesaver! So far we have been very happy and will likely write a review once we have checked out. Spend more money....it's worth it!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Adam H
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just returned from a 3 day trip to the Dells and a happy stay at the Grand Marquis with our 4 granddaughters ages 8-10. Despite the aged and somewhat tacky décor was impressed with this hotel and would be happy to stay there again. Though nothing fancy it was very clean and very comfortable - with free Noah's Ark tickets, but our granddaughters preferred the great indoor and outdoor pools and the hot tubs over the overcrowded and long lines of the big waterpark. We went mid-week and basically had the place to ourselves. My only suggestions would be have larger wastebaskets in the rooms - and a daily newspaper for patrons to share and read while watching the morning news in the lobby. Coffee makers would be nice - but thank you for the free morning coffee served off the lobby. For those with toddlers and young children, the indoor waterpark geared toward them looked full of fun! Overall a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: "Marley's" is across the street and walking distance - good food for carry outs!
2 Thank Bonnieann H
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a place that our kids would enjoy that wasn't too big and crowded. My kids both under 10 loved the outdoor pool. We got Noahs Ark tickets free with our stay which was great!! The pool was hardly busy which my kids loved:) The decor is outdated but I didn't mind a bit. They have an outdoor area to grill with picnic tables.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank thriftymom19
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was our first time at the Dells, and we chose to stay at Grand Marquis in part because of the reviews it received. My priority was a clean, safe and quiet place to wind down after what I assumed would be an exhausting day(s) at the waterparks. I got exactly what I was hoping for! The rooms were very clean - yes dated, but I didn't care about the artwork or color of paint on the walls. This hotel has very firm rules related to and enforcement of quiet hours which I very much appreciated.

The hotel provide free Noah's Ark passes for every day of our stay and the waterpark was a blast. The only negative is, like other reviews, no internet service. I called and was told they had to reset the system which never seemed to emerged. If internet or a party environment is what you are looking for, this is probably not the place for you; however, those with young children or those who want some downtime, I would highly recommend the Grand Marquis. I was very happy with my stay and I love being able to support locals versus the major resorts.

1 Thank Jennifer T
Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Overpriced! Outdated! Unfriendly lobby workers. No continental breakfast. What kind of hotel doesn't have something for breakfast anymore. Also, indoor waterpark is not as impressive as pictures show. It is for like 3 and under. Chlorine in pool burned my eyes. This was supposed to be our one night in a big, fun, expensive hotel. We were EXTREMELY disappointed. We stayed at the Ramada across the street from it the night before. Ramada much nicer!!!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank JBoden4
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in July with our two kids (12 and 6). This hotel is not the newest or largest in the Dells, but it is extremely well maintained and very clean. The room was a nice size, clean, comfortable and sound proof. Staff were efficient and helpful. There are three pools - two indoor, one out. It was nice to move around if a pool got too busy or you just felt like a change of pace. The waterpark pool is nice but really geared for smaller kids. Although, my 12 year old had just as much fun as my 6 year old. They offer morning coffee, but no breakfast. However, it seems that breakfasts aren't overly common in Dells hotels (??). If breakfasts were included, I would have given them five stars. We would definitely stay here again, though.... a good value for sure!