“The perfect, under-stated Dells accomodations for toddlers”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Meadowbrook Resort

Meadowbrook Resort
Ranked #38 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Madison, WI
“The perfect, under-stated Dells accomodations for toddlers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

Our stay this month will happily mark the 5th time we've vacationed at Meadowbrook in the past 7 years. We only live 50 minutes from the Dells, and Meadowbrook is our tradition as long as we still have children with sippy cups! Meadowbrook is truly a down-to-earth, understated 'best-kept-secret' that has plenty of amenities and has toddler-friendly water features inside and out. Our initial visit was a family celebration, where we took up the upper row of five rooms in the Ponderosa. We could all join each other outside our back door, coordinating and eating meals together on the very spacious balcony, and then meet again to play card games at night. We returned with just our little children and have loved our experience, whether a 6-yr old, or an 18-month old along. We appreciate having both an indoor and outdoor play area for toddlers, both of which seem peaceful and hardly used by other visitors, so it's easy to keep an eye on our children and we don't have to worry about bigger kids playing rough around them or bumping into them in the water. Unique aspects I appreciate are a lot of kitchen & cooking supplies they include in all or most rooms, and a sturdy table and chairs that we can strap a booster-seat to. Their tables are great for our kids to stand on the chairs and play with their toys, color or have breakfast (not sure if all the tables & chairs are the same, you might want to request the solid wood chairs). I also love that all rooms have a balcony with table & chairs (and young kids can't climb the vertical rails) - the balcony is our escape to talk or play cards once the kids are asleep, or send older kids out to color if a baby sibling is napping. To comment on other negative reviews, I keep a clean home and bugs manage to creep into our house from time to time in the summer. With doors open & shut, it's part of summer life - and yes, I would've been a little "icked" out, too but we haven't experienced anything negative about the cleanliness. It is a rustic, log cabin feel & many walls are covered with logs and north woods decor, but the floors, sinks & toilets have been spotless. Some complaints about the resort requiring quiet time late at night is important to me & not a drawback. In fact, some of my teenage nephews got a little loud during our family reunion and there was a knock on our door, and while it was a little embarassing to get "in trouble" because we're a mild family that was drinking soda pop, it's comforting to know that we can expect quiet from our neighbors, too. The only "negative" out of 5 years of experience at Meadowbrook is it might not be as much fun on the premises for teenagers, or the most "luxurious" place to stay. But it is homey & spacious. If you're looking for romance, get a jacuzzi suite and find a fine-dining restaurant in town. I've never had a problem with customer service, though the check in process can take a while. Overall, if you have children that aren't swimming yet, this feels like a very safe and non-intimidating place to let them explore the water. The resort is a quiet place to wind-down at night or for a nap, offers popcorn & movies every night for kids in their relaxed lobby area where parents can sit nearby & read a book or play checkers. We have walked to Broadway (?) pushing a stroller, so while it's nestled back from the busy action, it's not too far to walk to a restaurant & shops.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Kidsx3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

Gaslf got it right, our weekend there was fun and stress free, and we had a great reunion at Meadowbrook Resort. Kid's waterpart was fun for the youngest, and the outdoor pool and campfires til late were not a problem for the older. The Elder's handicapable accomodations worked out well. The hidden hiking trail down to the river was a bonus.

Though the front desk is frugal, they were accomodating for most things in our party of 70+. We got stuck with the "Bear Cave" downstairs, compared to the decked out poolside views, but it proved quieter there than on the upper floors of the main lodge. Later checkout can be arranged.My 11 year old thought the rooms were nice, but the game room needs attention. Ducks and Casino van come to the door, and it's enough off the strip to feel "out of the way" yet close enough to the fun.

We would stay here again if I could.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
West Allis, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

I was another person seriously considering canceling our vacation after reading most of the reviews on this site. I'm really glad I didn't. We stayed in the Alder cabin for 4 nights, 2 of which were with an extra 3 family members. Although the cabin was somewhat small, we managed to fit 3 adults, a teenager, 3 small kids and a baby and still had enough room to move around. (If we were going to do it again, we would definitely upgrade to a bigger cabin, but that was our fault, not the resort's.)

The cabin itself was clean, well stocked and comfortable with cute decorations. (My favorite was the stuffed animal bear skin rug, lol.) The housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful. They do only light housekeeping for the cabins, (keeping us well stocked with towels and toiletries and emptying the garbage cans,) but that's what we actually prefer. I do agree that the front desk and some of the other staff could be friendlier, but I wouldn't say anyone was rude. The resort facilities were nice and perfect for a family with young children like ourselves. The indoor pool is definitely for small children, as is the outdoor playground and kiddie pool. They do have a larger pool, which was well kept, but could have been heated.

The resort is literally about half a mile down River Road from downtown dells, which is great for when you want to do all the touristy stuff. But it is set back just far enough that you can relax when you're not out and about.

As far as the reviews saying that the resort pretty much shut down by 10pm and that you had to be absolutely quiet at night, I completely disagree. We were up until around 1am most nights and got pretty loud at times, and we had no problems. They had a lot of outdoor activities (firepits and such) going on for late night as well. One of the nights we went to sleep around 1am and could still hear people singing and having fun outside.

The inside staff does shut down at some point at night, but I did notice front desk staff there until close to midnight every night.

There aren't phones in the cabin rooms, but who doesn't have a cell phone nowadays anyways? And, if you have some sort of medical condition that might cause you to need a phone, that should be something you check for when you book your reservation anywhere.

All in all, we had a great experience at Meadowbrook. The price was good, especially when compared to other cabins that we stayed in the previous year. The staff wasn't great, but they definitely weren't as terrible as others made them sound. The facilities were perfect for our young kids and okay for our teenage nephew. The room was clean and well stocked. We left planning on returning next year.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Gaslf
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

I have to admit I had read some reviews on this site and thought about cancelling my reservation because of the negative reviews....Glad I didn't ,we had several family members stay for a week, we had a great time. It is very relaxing and a great place to spend time with your family, close to everything yet it seems like your in your own little hideaway. The staff coul've been friendlier...they we're not rude; however not very welcoming :( Aside from that everything was great.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank L0veMy2Girls
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

After walking into my room at this place I ended up crying, my boyfriend and I ended up leaving, and checking into another hotel within 30 minutes. The first thing I did was pull the covers off the bed and sat down. When I went to put my feet under the blankets, I noticed the blankets were wet... eww... the bed squeaked everytime I moved, leading me to believe it was going to be a difficult time to sleep. The room smelled like cleaning products trying to cover up something that smelled bad, and there were stains all over the carpet. Then when I got up to go to the bathroom we saw BUGS smashed against the walls, and yes, there was one crawling on the floor followed by another...... not little ants or spiders....BIG BUGS not sure what kind, maybe a roach? I have never seen one in real life before. I was so disgusted. The woman at the desk was nice, offered us another room (haha yeah right!) but refused to give us our money back, the money we spent for our entire two nights! I am going to see what I can do to get this money back. There has got to be some kind of law that says that we should not have to pay for spending 5 minutes in a wet, roach infested room. Don't waste your money here. For 20 dollars more a night we got to stay in a suite at the great wolf with indoor water park passes where we were very satisfied. This place obviously doesn't care about the business it gets. It should not be called a resort. It has no characteristics of one whatsoever. I'm not a picky hotel person, but there are certain things I will not pay money for.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Halip

Travellers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Milwaukee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2009

I was in charge of booking my family reunion for 8 families - about 35 people coming from all over the country. I drove to Wisconsin Dells to find a location that would fit everybody's wish list. The Meadowbrook is beautiful but we ended up not staying there. We could not get customer service from anyone at the resort. The three people we spoke with, Ann, Scott and Andrew, had no idea what the other person was doing. I would leave messages and no one would return my call. When I finally got through after numerous times they told me about their package deals but would not commit to a cost. When I finally got them to do so I contacted my family to make their reservations.

Three members of my family were treated rudely. Thank goodness they didn't book them because we found another place that is better with exceptional customer service. Meadowbrook also has a terrible cancellation policy so make 100% sure you want to be treated terribly or you are out most of your money!

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank SoniaChrls
St. Cloud
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

We booked a 2 night Rustic Relaxation package with Meadowbrook Resort. We should have known that we were going to have problems, after all of the problems we had trying to book this package. I am a very friendly person, and the staff at Meadowbrook was less than friendly even over phone. This should have been my huge clue!! They told us that our room was going to be more expensive because of their "New Year's Eve Bash", that would include free appetizers, and a continental breakfast. There was not any free food, and the breakfast was a joke. That was fine with me, but then the staff was very inconsistent and very unknowledgeable. Each staff told us different information when we called. One lady told us checkout was 11 a.m., and then another staff told us it was 10 a.m.! There were no phones in the room, so we had to use all of our minutes to even call the front desk for basic information. We had a jacuzzi suite, which was very nice, but then there was no hot water! We had to set our clocks back to count in the New Year, because there was a maintenance man in our room trying to get the hot water working at midnight! We were trying to make the best of everything by setting the clocks back! The pool broke, and was cold to the point of being unhealthy. The manager was less than friendly, along with the rest of the staff. This is not how you treat people who pay $450 dollars for a 2 night package! Oh yes, and after a 30 minute debate with the manager he did give us a whopping $10 gift certificate to Applebee's, which we later found out was supposed to be included in any winter package with a 2 night stay. Thank you Manager!
The movie was in Portage, which was 20 minutes away from the hotel, when there was a theater that was 5 minutes away! I will say that the dinner for 2 at Chula Vista was absolutely amazing. I would recommend to anyone reading this to not stay at Meadowbrook Resort, and opt for Chula Vista, or Kalahari! After voicing our complaints in a respectful way to the manager, he was very rude and unaccomodating. We drove 6 hours to get to Wisconsin Dells, and expected something better than this! I also would not recommend this place for kids, as in there are much better places around the Dells to take your kids! My immediate family, and extended family come to the Dells every year, but after this experience it may turn us away from this vacation city for quite a while. I wish that I could be writing a positive review, instead of this negative review!

• Liked — The cleanliness of the room was
  • Disliked — The staff!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank melissa1234