“Take a Closer Look Around and Read the Hours of Operation”

FairBridge Inn Express
Ranked #15 of 16 Wisconsin Dells B&B and Inns
Sioux City, Iowa
“Take a Closer Look Around and Read the Hours of Operation”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

When we were arrived, we were surprised to find that the locks used old fashioned keys (not safe). The room looked nice upon arrival, even though we could not (and never did) find out how to turn on the fireplace in our room. My friend and I went to an attraction at night and came back to close our curtains, only to find out that our curtains didn't actually fit over the windows--at ground floor, anyone could've looked into our window and my friend and I, as young women, felt unsafe. The desk closes sometime before 11 and you cannot get any help if there is a problem after that. So I was up on a chair tired, trying to fix our curtain/hang a towel up. Then, as we looked around more, we were more disturbed. Yes the tub was nice but it was all cracked up the sides we saw. The next morning after going in the pool, I went to dry off. They had no pool towels. I realized that one of the ladies who had no uniform or identification on walking around was a maid. I asked for towels but she said there wouldn't be enough yet. SERIOUSLY? No towels?! Here is what needs to be done plain and simple: 1. Have staff wear a uniform. 2. Have curtains that cover windows. 3. Have extra towels on hand always. 4. Fix cracks in tub. 5. Paint the outsides of the buildings--they look old and ghetto. 6. Febreeze the front lobby--it's smelly. 7. Update lock system. 8. ALWAYS have someone there to help if there is a problem. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EVERYTHING all of the time. I am sure that I would've had much less to complain about had they had the staff there to help when I needed it but I didn't. The staff was very helpful in the daytime and I realize that those who I spoke to could not control the problems, but they need to have help 24 hours! The bed was comfy and the tv and shower worked so we stayed and dealt with the problems. But I would not ever recommend this to anyone. If I could give it a 1 1/2 star, I would because a 1 is a brothel and they were not that but they certainly did not deserve 2 stars.

Room Tip: If you MUST stay at this hotel (though I am not recommending it), get a room towards the back of the...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank HonestIsBest

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Spent about $500 on two rooms for two days. No house keeping. No fresh towels for two days. The stove was so dirty you wouldn't use it. The freezer in the frig was so packed with ice a hot dog wouldn't fit. The furniture was really badly scratched up, holes in the walls, missing light bulbs, and the cigarette butts and empty packages made the dirty plastic lawn chairs outside our unit evermore appealing. When I nicely complained, they gave me a $40.00 credit off the 500+ I had prepaid. StAff was polite.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Susie b

Travellers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Reviewed 6 August 2012

While the central location was nice and the staff friendly and helpful, the property itself is worn and dirty. The capers need cleaning. The shower curtains had mildew on them. The towels were soiled. The window curtains were in a state of disrepair. The mattresses were the hardest I have ever slept on. I can not recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Pictures online do not represent well. It's in bad shape and dated. We had a suite, and the fireplace and jacuzzi were both broken. Beds were low quality and made even our kids' backs hurt. Now for housekeeping. . ..sheets weren't changed/bed wasn't made all 4 days. There was dried blood under toilet seat that was never cleaned. Washcloths were never left any day, & no towels on the last day. No remote existed for one of the TV's. The deadbolt to the door fell off the door on the last day. Some of the lights didn't work. This place is a dump! We paid $520 for 3 nights!! When complained, all we got was a one night free stay voucher that will never get used!! Good quality hotels are quite a bit more, but if I would've known how trashy and low-quality this hotel would be, I would've saved up more money and stayed at a resort, then at least you get waterpark passes. DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Rachmark1
Volo, Illinois
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed here for one weekend night, though the price was good, you get what you pay for. Dirty, half the outlets didn't work, needed a good paint job, needed new beds, needed new carpet, needed new linens. We called 2 times because a smoke detector was chirping and it never got fixed over the course of the day. We ended up taking the battery out to make it stop. Not sure any of the smoke detectors would have worked, they didn't look function able. The door to the room was old too and though it locked, someone could probably break in if they wanted to. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank BushieIllinois
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We booked this through out TimeShare company and ASSumed they only dealt with decently rated places. WRONG (and I will be writing a bad review there as well) As others described it looks like a dilapidated motel (it looked NOTHING like the pictures online). The front building actually doesn't look THAT bad compared to the building in the rear (where we were). Our room had NOT been nicely updated at all. The beds were terribly uncomfortable, the AC units were extremely loud, and the place was just all around unclean. The hairdryer did not work (I requested another one) and though the room got "cleaned" each day they did not resupply the shampoo or bar soap for 2 days until I complained. On our final full day they did not even make our bed just left a stack of clean (I hope clean) towels on the rickety table.

On our 2nd day there we were out and about for 4-5 hours and returned to pick something up. I walk up to our door (which was an outside entrance) to find housekeeping had left our door open!!! Thankfully nothing had been taken but when I went to the front office to complain the lady behind the desk (though she acted surprised) said it wasn't the first time it had happened. She suggested I come back the next day after 3 to speak with the manager. When I did the manager offered me free passes to a waterpark. Not interested in that so she credited my CC a measly $35. And when I complained about the shampoo/soap not being restocked she apologized and blamed it on their international help!!

We were quite disgusted with the entire thing.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TG1290
Antioch, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2012

So, we pull up to this dilapidated building that is a sorry excuse for anything more than a slum, but we were at least greeted with a smile and a courteous attendant so that much is a plus. Our room was ready about 2 hours early for us to check in... another plus! We walk through the building we're in and are led outside into another building, passing what appears to be a couple more ghetto buildings on the way. I'm seriously waiting for gunfire at this point.

Then, we enter the rear building to be somewhat surprised by an indoor pool in the center of the building with rooms around the perimeter. Okay, not so bad. Open the door to see that the rooms have been somewhat updated with newer countertops, showers, tiles and a few other cosmetic touches. First glance is where the impressive qualities ended. Further inspection revealed some serious flaws.

Let's start with the fact that we had adjoining rooms with the other couple we went with. While this is a plus, some privacy is a must in the event you want to be intimate. Well, this door doesn't lock from either direction so I guess "mi casa es su casa" has never been truer.

Let's move on to the inspection of the beds because, hey, no matter what the building looks like, as long as there is a cozy bed, I'm a happy camper. Well, uncomfortable doesn't even begin to describe these pieces of garbage that they passed off as beds. Springs poking you in every direction, so loud, creeky and squeaky that you can't move without waking/scaring your partner out of a dead sleep. These aren't beds, these are pieces of plywood with rusted springs between each of them and a 1/2" layer of cotton balls sprinkled on top. I'm writing this review 3 days after my return and I'm still disgusted with the beds.

A few other quick notes of things that were a problem: the chairs in the room were so rickety, I was afraid to sit on them, the hair dryer didn't work, the drain in the shower wasn't operational and there were stains on the comforter. Also, the floors felt dirty and downright slimy in some areas.

Upon our departure, I made mention of our disgust with the room to the front desk. They seemed hardly interested in the fact that we weren't pleased with our stay and went as far as telling us that the buildings AND beds were new. Ha! Yeah, right! I was born at night, but not last night. This was an absolute joke! Oh, and after our one night stay, I wake up the 2nd day to realize I have a bunch of what appear to be bug bites on my left leg. Bed bugs? I dunno, but a possibility! My final advice? Avoid this joint and splurge for one of the nicer places. We went as couples this time, but we plan to return with my 5 year old step-son next Summer. We're definitely going to pony up the extra cash to stay at one of the nicer resorts. The savings in this case most definitely weren't worth the discomfort.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple