“Eh... ALEX was awesome though!!”

H.H. Bennett Studio
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors learn about the life and times of the 19th-century pioneering photographer H.H. Bennett at this historical learning center and museum.
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Just a bunch of pictures on the walls, nothing special. The guy working there, Alex, was the best part, extremely nice and worth the $7 to talk to!! He was better than the museum!

There are newer reviews for H.H. Bennett Studio

Reviewed 3 October 2007

I have been looking at their postcards for many years, but there was lots of great stuff here beyond what I had run into previously. It is great fun to see how one man could make a resort come to life in the mid-1800s. The interactive stereoscope exhibit is amazing. You get a real feel for the draw of these photos 150 years ago.

The video on loggers before there was a dam built in the Dells is fascinating, and we also enjoyed trying to leap the same distance to an exposed bluff that Mr. Bennett's son did in one of their most famous photos.

Not by any means the typical Dells venue, but interesting for those of you who like history, photography, and especially media hype!

Reviewed 6 July 2007

We stopped on a very hot day. There are many photographs that my 8 year old son wasn't too interested in, but there was also many old cameras and displays that soon caught his attention. It looks very small when you first enter, but the exhibits continue into other areas. You won't spend a lot of time there, we were there about 45 minutes, but if you want a break from the more "tourist-y" attractions, it can be very interesting.

1  Thank Diane12
A TripAdvisor Member
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 21 June 2006

This is a must see if you are in the Wisconsin Dells. Sure, the water parks, mini-golf, and t-shirt and bumper sticker shops are par for the course when you are here at this tourist hot spot.

I was just at the Dells this past weekend with my fiancee and her parents. We sort of stumbled into the gallery by accident. As soon as we started walking through the museum I found myself lost in all of the history of photography and all of the interesting things that Bennett did during his life.

You simply must stop in, even if you are not a photography enthusiast, like myself. You won't be disappointed.