“The worst place to stay in Wisconsin !”

Baker's Sunset Bay Resort
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I don't normally rate the place's I stay. BUT this is an exception. This past weekend my family and I stayed at Sunset Bay Resort for our annual family trip (in which this place was refered to us). We made reservation's months in advance for this 'motel'. When we arrived from our 3 hour drive, we went to our rooms in the 100 section of this 'motel'. I have never been inside a room that was this dirty, there was an odor and it was unkept. The sleeper sofa was worn, the floors were not swept nor mopped, dirty tub, linen dirty and again the room had an odor. My aunt called the front desk to complain once the 'owner' came to our room (so that she could visually see what the complaint was about). She was very rude and belligerent to my aunt by clapping her hand and saying "Hello" to her in a demeaning manner, when my aunt stated she was going to call corporate. On Sunday morning, we called the front desk at 9:00a asking for more towels because we needed additional towels for a family of 15. We also stated that we needed garbage bags. We were advised that they were out of towels and the housekeeping did not come in till 9:30a. At that time we were never told check out was a 10:00a because we had previously been advised it was at 11:00a. Once housekeeping came to the room about 1030a with the towels the lady threw the garbage bags in our room and stated that we have been a problem our entire stay, is there anything else I can get you? then stormed from the door. I'm sorry that we weren't going to go long with their gameplan by staying in their substandard room they previously assigned us. If we wanted this type of treatment we could have stayed at a place called a "motel" not this so called "resort". Word of Mouth can make or break and company and I will advise anyone listening to never come to BAKER'S SUNSET BAY RESORT.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Nita73

Reviewed 10 August 2009

This place was fantastic for our family. Beach volleyball, horseshoes, fire pit, outdoor pool, indoor pool. This is a very relaxing place with a lot of things to do for kids. Our children made friends and hung out for 4 days. I couldn't have been happier. If you want loud, this is NOT the place. Peaceful and relaxing yet close to everything. When we go back to the Dells, this will be our hotel of choice again. I stumbled upon this place and it was a gem. Take my word for it. If you want awesome, this is it. Please don't tell too many people, I want room availabiltiy the next time I visit!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We have 2 young children and this was a perfect place to stay. We had fun just staying at the hotel. The 2 pools and the sandy beach made it easy to entertian the children and relax. Perfect location. Close to many attractions but nestled in the peace and quiet. I will make Sunset Bay my yearly vaction spot.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The Good---The location of this hotel is in a very pretty area. We picked this resort because they allowed pets. The bad---Our room was very small and since we were staying in a "pet room" they did not offer clean towels or make the beds. If you want clean towels, you have to go to the office and get them. I was disappointed in this as I was paying more for the "pet room" in the first place. The resort was very noisy (we stayed on the lake side) and kids and adults were being rowdy up until 11:00 at night.
The Ugly---The air conditioner in our room was a joke. The selections consisted of "freeze your behind off" or "off", no middle ground. Also our air conditioner had lots of mold growing in it. UCK! I would not stay at this resort the next time I visit the Dells.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2009

We had a family reunion at Sunset Bay Resort. Our cabin was clean and quite modern. The rooms were smaller than I had thought they would be and we thought we might be cramped, but the resort was able to get us another room close by and some of the family stayed there. We could cook for 14 people in our cabin and had breakfast there - then grilled on new grills outside and had picnic tables and could serve 20 out there for dinner. The kids loved the pools - they were heated and they enjoyed the slide at the indoor pool. we could dock the boat for the 3 days and enjoyed boat rides whenever we wanted. I thought it was a good value for what we got. The lodge rooms are very modern and very spacious.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2009

It is not worth $120 per night, but if you get one of the packages, and you don't care about the selection of attractions, you end up with a $20 room.
Lake front beach is quite nice. Bon fires were best part, but continental breakfast was coffee, juice and toast. We felt a little misled on the room accomodations. It was a basic room and we thought we were getting a stove.
Nice place if it is your first visit and you want to see a lot on a small budget, but next time, we'll splurge more and go to Kalahari

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Our family has held our 3-day reunion(biennial) at Baker's for the past 6 years. We had tried several other resorts at the Dells but this is the best one for a group. This year we had 90+ of us with ages from infant to 101 ! There are many great places to gather outside and visit while kids play nearby. The property is full of beautiful trees, a lake, and 3 pools-- what more can you ask for? Well, nice owners and employees to boot!

• Stayed: June 2009