“Nice, friendly hotel on the lake”

Baker's Sunset Bay Resort
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We stayed here with 2 kids (ages 2 and 5). They loved playing on the beach. The beach is small, but they do provide a net for volleyball and badminton, a ping pong table, and tether ball. They also have a swing set on the beach which our kids used often. My husband used the row boat that is provided by the resort a couple times. On the third day, the algae was a bit worse (to be expected when you are on a lake) so we didn't go in the water and used the indoor swimming pool instead. The resort includes free tickets to the Kalahari indoor theme park and the kids loved riding the small amusement rides there. We also used the 2 for 1 card provided by the hotel on the Original Ducks boat ride. This hotel doesn't provide the OPA discount card, but we just stopped in at one of the other hotels and snagged one. The kids also enjoyed Campfire Kevin. We had a room overlooking the lake, it was nice to be able to sit out on the deck and relax. Overall, the hotel was a good value and provided what we expected, a clean and quiet place to sleep. There were guests with dogs but we did not have any problem with noise, there are specific rooms set aside for those with dogs. The small beach is excellent for young kids. We would stay here again, we are considering a room with kitchenette for next time.

There are newer reviews for Baker's Sunset Bay Resort

Reviewed 18 August 2010

I prepared for the worst having read the reviews after booking. I was pleasantly surprised.
The room was clean, looked a little old, but many hotels do, so it was nothing out of the ordinary. The microwave was too small to handle a standard size popcorn, but we made do.
The grounds and the beach were clean, the staff cleaned each morning, I had no problem walking around barefoot on the beach. The beach is kinda small, but it's perfect for very little ones, keeps them contained and occupied without worry of losing them in a crowd.
The pools were maintained which is difficult since the outside pool is directly beneath trees that are constantly shedding their leaves. The indoor pool slide could use a paint job, but the kids don't seem to care.
The staff was very friendly.
Allowing pets is a nice bonus, there were a few dogs making noise, but kinda expected that to happen. However, I believe dogs are contained to one of the buildings, so if you had concerns, I'm sure the staff would assign you a room to accommodate.
The campfire was nice touch.
The only thing I'd do differently is to book a room with a kitchenette.

Reviewed 15 August 2010

I grew up in Wisconsin, but have been living in Atlanta for the past 10 years. I take a week and drive up with my two dogs to go to my family's cabin in northern Wisconsin. This year, I decided to get together with two of my friends from college (and their families) and my parents for an old-school water slide vacation at Noah's Ark in Wisconsin Dells. It's been at least 15 years since I've been to the Dells and thought it would be a great stop on vacation.

I started searching for pet-friendly accommodations since I had my collie mix, and my shepherd/chow mix with me (both medium sized dogs). I found Baker's Sunset Resort through a google search, then read the reviews here on TripAdvisor.com. Overall, it looked like a good choice. They offered MANY different room types to accommodate our entire group of 7 people and the dogs. We ended up booking a 2 bedroom suite (had to take non-lakefront because of the dogs, but that's OK).

We ended up only having 4 people (me, my mom, and two friends from college) as the spouses and kids all ended up having to cancel. We kept the same room and had a TON of space. We had a spacious living room with a queen pull out sofa. One bedroom had a king bed and twin bunk beds, the second bedroom had another king bed. The resort overall was very nice. Indoor and outdoor pools. Hot tub, dry sauna, beach with row boats you can check out and a fire pit where they have lakeside bonfires every night. We never did make it to the bonfire as our schedule was already very busy the full two days we were there. We were bummed that we missed "Campfire Kevin" who has camp songs and bonfire stories on Saturday, Tuesday & Thursday nights, admission to the Kahalari adventure park and free golf at the Par 3 course across the street at the Wilderness Resort. Club rentals were only $4, renting a cart was only $16. VERY good deals! They sell Noah's Ark tickets at the desk for $25 (instead of $39 at the park) and they gave us a "Buy one get one card" when we checked in which was good for several restaurants and attractions in town.

They had several buildings with many "regular" style hotel rooms, then they also had individual cabins that people can rent out. Parking was adequate (it was a Sunday and Monday night and they were not sold out) - I could see that parking might be tight on a sold-out night.

The room was very clean and comfortable, the only down side that I would say is the entire place is a little dated (looked circa the late '80s) and could use a refresh. Service is nice, rooms are clean, it's on the east side of Lake Delton (ON THE LAKE!!) so it's in a great location, away from all the craziness of Wisconsin Dells Parkway - but only a 5 minute drive from everything on the parkway! We were way in the front of the resort, so the wi-fi had a weak signal from our room, but I'm guessing rooms closer to the office had better wireless connection.

There is also a great spa right across the street too!!

Kudos to a good old-fashioned family run resort! I'll be back when I'm in town with my dogs again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank mandas1
Reviewed 10 August 2010

we stayed a long weekend and the resort was great. good beach. older ressort but the staff was friendly and rooms were clean. some past reviews on this site made us nervous but we found Bakers to be very good.

Reviewed 5 August 2010

For anyone traveling with a little one, we did the impossible: we left Buddy. Buddy is our 2 year old's best friend, her sleeping companion, her world. And we left Buddy on the bed because we were in a hurry to beat the traffic at home. We called the front desk hoping somehow we could get Buddy back. We found out the room had already been cleaned and they found Buddy in the pile of sheets. We left Monday morning and he was in our mailbox on Wednesday. They had shipped him out that day. I couldn't be more impressed with their service, and our 2 year old is smiling (and sleeping) again. Thanks!

Reviewed 29 July 2010

We picked this resort to stay at after reading all the positive reviews about it on-line. Upon check-in we were shocked and totally disappointed that the place is as run down as it is after reading the good reviews and from looking at the pictures from their website. We were supposed to stay here from a Wednesday to Sunday, but ended up leaving on Saturday because my back could not take another night of sleeping on the awful beds at this dump. The rooms need to be remodeled something terrible (unless you like staying in a place straight from the 70s), and the pools and hot tub were disgustingly dirty!!! I honestly cannot believe how much this resort charges for its rooms, almost as much as I cannot believe that people actually like the place. Not only were the rooms totally outdated, but both the doors and the floors creaked, and the air conditioning does not have a temperature setting so we were either freezing from the air running all the time or too hot because we didn’t want to leave the air on all the time. The only positive thing I can say is that there was internet access in the room. I will never stay at this dump again, and if I can stop someone else from wasting their money on this place, then it was worth my time to post this review.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Maryemoen
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I had high hopes in coming here. I read mixed reviews on-line, so I hoped I would fall into the category of good reviews. So here are the positives: good location away from the hustle and bustle of the Dells, reasonable price, friendly staff encountered, lakefront property with sandy beach, heated outdoor pool with a nice view of the lake, campfire songs in the evening with s'mores, indoor pool with a slide big enough to entertain a 7 year old, and a kiddie play area that is fenced in. Here are the negatives: the lakefront near the shore was a bit gross with green algae material, the lake is not swimmable in my opinion (very murky water); it looked like there were a couple of family reunions going on, and while this did not affect me, it did occur to me that it would've been quite a bad experience if I had had a room close to all this activity; while the bathroom and kitchen looked clean-enough, the room had a stench that I quickly started to dread upon entering the room... my little son had spilled a small amount of water on the carpet and when I used a small bath towel to blot it up, the towel was quite dirty for barely having touched the carpet! This is what was dreadful for me. I refused to take my shoes off in the room (even in the middle of the night), I would not sit on the couch which also made my skin crawl, and would not let my children play on the carpet. So, unfortunately, this was the deal breaker for me, and if I ever stay in the area again, I will opt to find another place with a kitchenette, reasonable price, small pool, and cleanliness - no longer will I look for a lake location for I spent a lot of time away doing other activities. I hope you find my review helpful in making a decision... it's not BAD, don't get me wrong, and I hate to let something as trivial as carpet kill it for me, but that is important to me, especially when I'm on vacation.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family