“In need of alot of work NOT what we were told”

Loyalty Inn Wisconsin Dells
Ranked #58 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Iowa
“In need of alot of work NOT what we were told”
Reviewed 31 July 2009

I called the motel after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and asked them questions. I was told they were remodeling and it would have all granite counter tops, ceramic tile, new carpet and all the wallpaper was being taken off and the walls would all be newly painted and all new furniture. Also that there was a nice pool for the kids. She said that the reviews were bogus and that if those people were so unhappy they could have left after the first night. Well when we arrived they charge the entire amount before you check in. I still tried to find another place but at that time it was impossible to find something of this size. I called 2 weeks before the stay and was told it was completely finished. When we arrived it looked run down but we thought the inside would be better. They painted over the wallpaper, the wall registers were falling off the wall and rusted. There was mold and mildew in the showers, the hall mirror was broken, a headboard was hanging over the bed and not hooked to the wall, the door knobs were falling apart, there were no lamps and half the light bulbs were missing, all the windows and mirrors were filthy, there was no lock on the patio door and more. We complained and came home from our day to find one bedroom hadn't been cleaned, there were no sheets for the sofabed and the shower had not been cleaned. The desk staff was pleasant and tried to help but we were told the cleaning people couldn't speak English and they had trouble getting them to do the work. We asked about the place not being redone and got excuses on that. The pool was 1 foot deep except at the end of a little slide where it was 3 ft 4 in!! We rented a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom with kitchen and living area that was moldy and we ended up with 3 sick kids. After all we put up with all we could get out of a $1000 stay was a $100 credit. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

3 Thank IowaRetiredtraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Iowa
Reviewed 27 July 2009

So what can I say, I read all the reviews before I booked the room. I gave Riviera the 'benefit of the doubt' several reviews were from years ago, then I read some updated ones, and saw that they had "renovated" the rooms, HOW CAN I GO WRONG WITH 'BRAND NEW ROOMS?" when we pulled in to the parking lot, my 11 year old said, "Come on, stop playing, we're not staying here??" Well I knew the exterior wouldn't be the greatest, I called and talked to both a front desk clerk, and then on a seperate day I spoke to the manager. I asked them both, if the room that I was renting would be in the BRAND NEW building as they had told me there was a BRAND NEW building and rooms were very nice, with new pool. Well, I had 5 kids and a husband to accomodate. We arrived before we could check in. The 1st night was already paid for and when we arrived, they took my credit card immediately and charged the 2nd night - #1) ALWAYS ASK TO SEE THE ROOM 1ST!!! BEFORE PAYING - have you ever heard of a hotel charging your card the minute you arrive, usually they swipe it for the file, but the money actually was deducted from my account that moment. I'm used to being charged after we check out. We went to MtOlympus to play. At 3:30 is when our room was to be ready, so my husband went to get the keys and check in officially. He came and told me that it was probably not what I expected. So, me and kids left MtOlympus to go see the room. GHETTO!!!!:
1) One bed for kids was totally BROKE- swamped in the middle I'M NOT EXAGGERATING!
2) other bed broke also, but not quite as bad
3) NOT BRAND NEW ROOM
4) brand new bathroom tub, maybe new carpet, but other than that, NOTHING NEW ABOUT IT!
5) The stove was only about 1.5ft x 1.5ft, the smallest ghetto stove with FOIL wrapped around the burners!
6) The whole reason I chose a CHALET was because it had a kitchen and was BRAND NEW - NOT HARDLY!
7) the TV was not flat screen and the one in the kids room look like it came from a garage sale - not flat screen either
8) the set up of the room was so AWKWARD! and the DECOR WAS FUGLY UGLY!
9) Nothing matched at all - the furniture was gross looking, I wouldn't have wanted to sit on it
10) the curtain was hanging - like some kids had hung from it like monkeys!
TO PAY $194 for the 1st night and $238 for the second night WAS NOT CUTTING IT!!!
When you are told that something is BRAND NEW, and you call to make sure - and you show up and they STICK YOU IN AN OLD ROOM, makes you feel like the joke is on you. The manager should have noted to be sure to place me in a brand new room since I'd called. I heard several other complaints from guests. A lady had her honey moon there for a WEEK - she was in new building, but still dissappointed. Another lady and her sister were in the old building and NOT HAPPY! One lady was going OFF after driving 7hours from Ohio or somewhere and she was PISSED at the condition of the motel and the pictures were deceiving on the website. They had to juggle so many peoples rooms around it wasn't even funny!
So, to turn all this around, after I explained that my expectations were not met, and I'd stay the one night in the room because the bathroom was nice, and there wasn't a refund on the first night, I told them I wouldn't stay a 2nd night for $238, they worked with me. However, the manager wasn't on site. They had to call her. She said we could UPGRADE to the suite above their front desk (in old building still) for an EXTRA $50 PER NIGHT! was she SMOKIN' CRACK! why would I want to pay $100 EXTRA for my inconvenience of being told something was new and it wasn't??? I VIEWED THE GRAND SUITE - IT SUCKED TOO! EVERYTHING IN OLD BUILDING SUCKS!!!
So, I said no, put me in the new building if you can. So, they put me and husband in one King Suite and 5 kids in another King Suite with 2 rollaway beds, which is all they had left and that was better than staying in the chalet! so we stayed there both nights. BOTH ROOMS WER NEW! HOWEVER, they must have been incomplete. We didn't have any chairs in the rooms. The kids had 1 fold-a-way chair, not the chair shown in the picture. Kids had no comforter, they had to go find one and it was an old one from the prior decor of old building. We didn't have any chairs. We didn't have a lamp on both sides of the beds, the kids had no pictures or curtains in their room. The kids brand new tv DVD player wouldn't play their movies. There was NO IRON, NO HANGERS to hang up anything, just NOT UP TO PART - EVEN THOUGH BRAND NEW. The room didn't even have a full length body mirror, and the type of blinds are a poor choice, you can't see out if you want to. The housekeeping didn't even know how to make beds, covers and blankets kind of thrown on it. The room didn't smell bad, but it didn't smell FRESH like it had been cleaned. It looked clean because it's new, but the type of decor is good for hiding dirt. For a King room, we had only 2 little standard sized pillows to fight over. The staff and the hotel overall is just UNPROFESSIONAL LOOKING. The layout of the hotel/motel is just all wrong! HOWEVER, THE GOOD POINTS:
1) They at least moved us to a room to accommodate us, it's hard to get a room for 7 on short notice with a kitchen during peak season at the dells.
2) The OUTSIDE POOL IN THE PICTURE is smaller than the web shows, not very deep water, BUT IT'S HEATED!!!! with the temperature being crappy and MtOlympus wave pools were FREEZING, the best time I had in the water was at Riviera because the water was at least 75-80degrees and the outside hot tub was hotter yet! THEY SHOULD ADVERTISE OUTSIDE HEATED POOL - THAT WAS A VERY NICE PERK! The kids LOVED THAT!
3) I BROUGHT MY GRIDDLE to cook breakfast, hotdogs, and brats, and if I hadn't I would have had a lot of WASTED FOOD without a kitchen. At least the King Suites had a Sink, Refrigerator, Microwave, so that worked out otherwise, I'd be VERY UPSET about that too.
I just would not recommend anyone stay here. This is the WORST looking - nothing inviting about pulling up into the driveway to stay here. They need more time to get it together, maybe in a year or so, they will come along, but right now, they are just out to get your MONEY! They know they are half-stepping on the rooms and service. I gave them a chance, I felt for the underdog, but that's how they treated me. They could have avoided all of my negative comments if they had of put me in A NEW CHALET to begin with. I was inconvenienced and STRESSED out because I had to explain to my family why I chose this place, plus we brought their friends along. It was embarrassing. We own timeshares at the Wilderness, but couldn't get in as it's PEAK time. I don't even think they CARED to satisfy my needs. They moved me to another room to shut me up, the clerk was nice, but had this been a HOTEL they might have offered me FREE DINNER or a percentage off my room, or something for my inconvenience. I'm just glad to be home in my beautiful home. I usually don't stay somewhere that is LESS than my home. I always try to UPGRADE when I'm on vacation, I want to feel luxury when I'm on vacation! Just don't bother giving them the benefit of the doubt, it's just not worth your time. I spent about 2hours of my vacation searching for a better hotel room. Then I was so stressed after seeing what I'd paid for, that I couldn't thouroughly enjoy the rest of my day. AGAIN, JUST SKIP THIS HOTEL - sorry, but it's just not worth it - $50/per night is all I'd pay for this type of motel and that's for the NEW rooms. They need to just burn down the OLD ONES!

5 Thank RapidsIowa

Travellers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

St Louis, MO
Reviewed 22 July 2009

The Web pictures are very deceiving!---Don't stay here---there are plenty of hotels available for the same price that are much, much nicer.
The outside of the hotel is in bad need of paint, cleaning, and updating...long weeds, very little landscaping. It's the worse looking hotel on the strip. And they still use regular keys, so you don't feel safe!
The pool is only 4 ft deep and has a scratchy concrete bottom. The little kids enjoyed the slide but it's not near as nice as the pictures. The neighboring hotels have much nicer pools and they accommodate both kids and adults.
The throughway to the back building & indoor pool is overflowing with laundry and maintenance stuff all the time!
We stayed in a regular room with 2 double beds our first night because the suite was not available. The regular pool-side room was outdated and had a strange smell. It was tidy but not as clean as you expect a hotel room to be. The TV was very outdated...the remote barely worked. The lighting was horrible. But we stayed anyway because we were told our suite was newly remodeled and very nice.
The second day we checked out of the regular room and into the suite. It was terrible. The least of the issues being that the decor didn't match. The room was UGLY.
The hottub had huge, oversize mirrors......a very sleezy, cheap look...not romantic at all. The kitchen looked nothing like the website pictures. The refrigerator was bearly cool and there was no maintenance person available to look at it. You could not sit on the sofa and watch TV because of the layout of the room. The lamps did not work.
There wasn't even a toilet paper holder in the bathroom. The blow dryer didn't work and we ran out of hot water in the middle of the first shower. Shower head was horrible.
We had to ask for bedding for the sofa/sleeper. The curtain rod was falling off the wall. One of the pictures was badly cracked and still hanging on the wall. There were no dressers in the 2 rooms, so no place to unpack your clothes....no luggage rack, no place to hang anything up...no iron. The worse thing was the mattresses----they were completely worn out and broke down....causing peeks and valleys. We had a horrible nights sleep!
We checked out first thing in the morning and went to Grand Marquis, which was real nice and the same price and also offered the free Mt Olympus passes and had an awesome indoor pool, a great indoor waterpark for little kids and was pretty and clean!!!

Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We went to the dells over the 4th of July weekend for the first time. We made a reservation in advance at Riviera Suites. All we can say is that Riviera is the worse in customer service and not worth the money they charge for you to stay with them. The pictures on their website are atleast 7 years old. The website says the the suite that we were to stay in was renovated. All it has was some fresh paint and a few new items, the rest was just awful and the suite was small. We did not stay there and asked for our prepaid first night to be returned to us but they would not do so. We would not recommend that hotel to anyone.

chicago
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I went to Dells with my family over the weekend. After calling many hotels, i decided to stay at Riviera. They offered some great amenities in the room at very reasonable rate. They offered FREE access to mt olympus which made my room stay almost free. The room was brand new built recently and had a very nice whirlpool that me and my wife enjoyed. The staff was very friendly. it is perfectly located on the strip and convenient to many attractions such as tommy bartlett, noah's ark and mt olympus. Looking at amenties they offer in the room, i am going again in winter. The indoor pool was brand new and most important of all in this economy, the rates are reasonable.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Central WI
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We found a last-minute deal that included our room for one night, and Mt. Olympus tickets for four people for two days. Great value--room had microwave and fridge, the TV worked well, had enough channels to entertain the kids in the morning when we weren't at the water park. The pool was fun for the kids, aged 9-11 with the slide and max depth of 3'4". The staff was friendly, let us check in a little early, when our room was cleaned, so we could take off for the water park. We were close enough to Mt. Olympus, though really not to walk. Near Noah's Ark and Tommy Bartlett's, but still on the strip. A perfect short vacation--we live less than an hour away so we run out to the Dells for deals when we can find them.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
illinois
Reviewed 15 June 2009

My husband and I viewed the website, the pictures are deceiving to the eye. The outside needs a complete makeover. The outdoor jacuzzi was out of order and needed to be drained. Our bathtub was dirty(after we requested a second cleaning). The comforters were stained. The table in our room was broken. I believe the worst part of it all, is if there is an emergency in the middle of the night front desk is closed from 10p.m until the next morning. Our toilet clogged-no maintenance until 9 a.m. the motel is under reconstruction. It has potential to be decent with the remodeling. However, my family will Never stay there again, even after the make-over. Good luck

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family