“Perfect combo of relaxation, and high class accomidations”

Sundara Inn and Spa
Ranked #35 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have been to Sundara many times. I've stayed in the resort and enjoyed spa services. I cannot say enough good things about this place. The Inn is amazing. Every room different. Beds are comfy, in room bar, very clean, fireplace. Very romatic. No children are allowed. You must keep your voice down at all times and only use your cell phone in your room so as not to disturb others. The bath ritual is amazing. If you're looking for a weekend getaway and don't mind spending the money, this is the place for you. I promise you will not be disapointed. Hands down this is one of my favorite places on earth.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linny_Loves_Turtles

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a lovely spa facility; I've been here twice...I travel and often go to very nice spas. On my first visit about a year ago, an inexperienced masseuse gave me a limp, unfocused message. Yesterday, a very young woman attempted to give me a facial. She was pleasant but could not converse with me on even a basic level about my skin, any thoughts on skin care products, nor additional skin care services provided at the spa...she said she was just learning and had not been trained on anything more than she was providing in my (completely uninspired) session.

This is one of those spas where the front desk gals ask you loudly if it is ok to add a 20% tip as you sign out...not wanting to make a scene, you do.

Get ready to drink coffee and tea from tacky/carcinogenic styrofoam cups and with hydrogenated coffee mate flavored creams.

Beautiful spa but seriously underwhelming services...gave them 2 chances. If I ever in a group and find myself back there, I'll do the least expensive mani/pedi and just enjoy the common area...

• Stayed: March 2014
10  Thank Sunset202
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Despite living an hour away, this was our first time staying at Sundara. We arrived in the afternoon, went through the cleansing bath ritual, then spent time in the quiet meditation room and the outdoor pool. We had to wait what seemed like too long for our couples bath/massage, but it was very relaxing. The spa part of the experience was overall very nice. We loved the Jaggery tea. It wasn't too crowded when we were there.

We stayed in a vliia, off the main property. It was spacious and had a full kitchen. It was clean and attractive. The bed was OK, but the pillows were too thin and unsupportive. The bathroom sink had no place to put personal items. A light fixture fell out of the ceiling while we were there. There was a large bottle of lotion on the sink but only a small bar of soap, which stuck to the counter (I had to pry it off with my toothbrush handle!). The TV reception was poor (especially the local channels) and the TV's were old and too small for the rooms.

There was no bottled water or drinks in the fridge, and no snacks. Room service was fairly prompt for dinner, and we thought the food was really good. The breakfast however, was cold and less enjoyable than dinner. The staff were friendly and professional. Overall, the cost was about what we expected.

I'd recommend coming here, especially for a short stay, but I hope they upgrade the villa.

Room Tip: One advantage of a room in the main building (not a villa) is that you can access the spa/pools mor...
5  Thank Philip L
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful experience at Sundara. We were finally able to getaway for a belated honeymoon and we both agreed, we could not have chosen a better place to getaway. This adult only spa allows for some peace, quiet and general relaxation. We loved our experience and look forward to going back again!

2  Thank Britte K
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was our 5th visit to Sundara. We had a wonderful day and evening. Felt so good to get away. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful as always. We checked into the hotel and headed straight to the spa area. Gotta love the hot tub and sauna with the cold weather we've had.

We followed the "spa ritual", including alternating the hot tub with the cold plunge a few times. After the last cold plunge, we headed to the outdoor pool. While it was cold outside (high teens, low 20's), the pool water was awesome. Amazing how Sundara is able to keep the pool water so warm when it's that cold out, but so grateful. It's an amazing experience. Only thing that would have made it more memorable would be if it had been snowing, but that's out of Sundara's control.

Sundara does provide a fire-pit near the pool, but we didn't partake in it's use this trip.

Breakfast the next morning was very good. They offer a continental style breakfast, with ample selections available for every taste. They provided two types of eggs, hash browns, sausage patties, french toast, granola, yogurt, pastries, fresh fruit, english muffins, bread, juice, tea, coffee. One could easily consider this a full breakfast.

Our room and the premises in general appeared to be clean and well kept. The only complaint I had was the lack of a soap dish for the bar soap in our guest room.

This hotel is on the pricey side, but if you're looking for a relaxing stay, time away from kids and/or just time for soul searching/contemplation, etc.....this is your place. The resort is nestled in a wooded area amongst pines....just a nice "bring you back to nature" setting.

We will go back again.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor facing the wooded area. It was nice and quiet.
4  Thank DoubleStuff
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I read the reviews on here AFTER booking, and immediately began to worry I'd made the wrong choice. However, I had been referred by a trusted pal, so I figured I would just go with an open mind, and I was thrilled with the results. I'll try and keep this specific - overall, wow, just a wonderful, relaxing time. We had a great "Bathe-cation" (You are pretty much always in the water, which is fine with me!)

The Suite:
We stayed in 2304, a two-floor Luxury "Adara" suite. The suite was beautiful, very open with tall ceilings, a fireplace, a giant whirlpool spa tub, and two full bathrooms - each with spa showers. The top floor is a "loft" style bedroom with a curtained bed and full sofa. The first foor has an open sleeping area, and sunken living room/fireplace. Note - the downstairs bathroom is "open" to the sleeping area via the whirlpool tub. You can pull a curtain - but for "serious" bathroom use, we usually trotted upstairs where the bathroom had a door. Best of all was the wooden screened in porch, with comfortable furnature and heater. We very much enjoyed the fresh air. We had complimentary turn down service, so when we came back from dinner, our lights were dimmed, there was relaxing music playing, and chocolates and tea service were set out for us.

Inn Amenities:
Upon check in you are issued with a Sundara robe and sandals, which everyone wears all the time. No kidding, you will not wear clothes at all, even to the delicious breakfast. The breakfast featured items like eggs, ham, pancakes, french toast, breakfast potatoes, biscuits and gravy, lots of types of fruit including mangos and pineapple as well as the standard fare, chobani greek yogurt and lots of bread-options. There is a heated pool, which we enjoyed even in the cool weather - it was so cool to see the steam rising from the warm water. Outside there was also a gas fire, where folks huddled around with tea or flavored water - both of which were available for free between 8am and 9pm. There was also an outdoor hottub, where we retreated during a cold rain. The pool itself had some deep, jetted areas and an infinity edge overlooking a pine forest.

The Food -

Breakfast, as I mentioned, was great. We also enjoyed smoothies and a lunch and dinner from the spa kitchen. For lunch we had a chorizo quesadilla and pico, and a brie, grape, and onion flatbread. For dinner we split the butternut scotch ravioli and had a vanilla creme brulee. The food was delicious and resonably priced for room service and compared to other nearby fine dining restaurants. Of course you can get cheaper food nearby, but why would you want to spend the day at a spa and then go eat a greasy burger?

The Purifying Bath -

LOVED it. For staying there you can use the Bath facilities anytime you want. You can read the website for details on each step, but suffice to say I used it several times. Don't skip the cold plunge pool! It's not even "cold" but it does feel nippy after the hot tub. The nice thing is that when you get back into the oil-infused hot tub, it feels amazing! The scrub they give you smells awesome, the steam room is wonderful, and don't miss the lotion and hair products in the lounge/locker room area. After the bath ritual, you can head into the quiet meditation room. Several reviews mentioned this was a noisy place - not in my experience, although we did visit during the week. Was so nice to have a hot tea or coffee after a long soak.

The Spa Services:

Yes, they are more expensive than, say, Massage Envy. (I belong there, it's fine, but it's not on the same level.) But you are going to a destination spa in a tourist city - did you really figure they would be inexpensive? The quality of the service, to me, well justified the price. My treatment was the Shea Body Butter experience - which included a scrub, a wrap, and a full body massage. This winter has been BRUTAL on my skin - it was so dry I had itched my shins raw. After, my skin felt great, and I still smell great even a whole day and several baths later. If you get any sort of service at Sundara, ask for MEL. He's been there ten years and is a magician. My 90-minute treatment alternated between periods of deep relaxation in silence, and pleasant chatting when we changed positions. He was professional and funny, and made me feel comfortable.

The Downsides -
Few and far between but a few things bear mentioning. Our whirlpool wasn't working at first, but someone from maintenance came in and flipped a circuit breaker, easy fix. There was this weird sound coming from the upstairs bathroom every now and again...like a whine and then a loud POP. It didn't happen often enough to be intrusive but was kind of strange.

HINTS:
Your massage therapist will tell you to drink a lot of water, especialy if you are not used to massages. They are not joking. My sig-other had an 80 minute deep tissue massage and did not properly hydrate...he was pretty ill for the rest of the night. The staff was very nice, bringing us extra towels. We just curled up in front of the fireplace and had a quiet evening in.

Bring more than one swimsuit if you have it, especially if you are staying more than one day. Nothing worse than getting into a wet swimsuit to wear under your robe first thing in the am.

Guys - if your special lady drags you here, just get ready to relax and take it in. Plenty of guys here, you won't be the only one. Try something out of the ordinary even if it sounds froofy, you'll enjoy a half-hour massage or a wrap. The bath was great too, just relax and go with it.

Be sure to hydrate, especially if you are drinking. We didn't have any alchohol but still needed to drink a ton of water.

Order Smoothies and food - delicious and reasonably priced for the quality of the food and comperable to other nearby dining options.

Comments for Sundara:

Pop a pocket door or something in the water closet to seperate the toilet area - no reason to have that room open to the bathroom and consequently the rest of the suite. Filtered water available via a water pitcher or maybe a water jar on each floor by the elevators?

Loved our stay, even with my bf getting ill - prior to that we had a fantastic, romantic stay - so relaxing and just what we needed.

Room Tip: The luxury suites were totally worth it, especially with the spring mid-week specials. It was ridicu...
3  Thank MilwMichelle
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed at Sundara many times over the years, approximately 5-6 times. I reviewed the property back in 2007 after our first stay which was amazing. We have loved Sundara for it's peaceful, tranquil setting which in the past has allowed us to reconnect over a weekend without our three children. This stay left us very disappointed. Sundara appears to have been a victim of it's own success. What was once a retreat to revitalize the soul has turned into a girls spa retreat where the atmosphere is almost party like. We were asked to sign a "quiet agreement" when we arrived; however, nobody actually enforces it. Saturday evening was downright loud in the outside pool area with drinks flowing and a political debate in the hot tub. While I still think this is a nice getaway for a girls weekend, definitely not the tranquil romantic retreat for couples that it once was. I do recommend the hydrating body wrap treatment which while pricey was a really relaxing service that left my skin feeling amazing.

Room Tip: Even the lowest price rooms have the amazing tower showers and fireplaces. Not really worth upgradi...
5  Thank WItravelersMilwaukee