“Romantic Getaway”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Milwaukee, WI
“Romantic Getaway”
Reviewed 18 March 2007

My husband and I just returned from our stay at Sundara. We have two kids under 2, and it was our first get away since having the children. We returned relaxed, rejuvenated and reconnected with each other. We couldn't have asked for a nicer place.

We stayed in a Nivea Suite which is their cheapest room yet it was amazing!! We had a fireplace and wonderful two person Kohler shower system with multiple body sprays. The bed was the nicest I have slept in away from home. The spa ritual (included in the price of the room) was extemely relaxing and even though it was March, we were able to swim in the outdoor pool and enjoy the fresh air. The setting is very peaceful with minimal noise throughout the facility. We did have a couples massage that was our only disappointment as we found it very average with a high price tag, especially after a gratuity.

We will definitely return to Sundara and highly recommend it to other couples looking for a quiet and romantic getaway.

• Liked — spa ritual included with room
  • Disliked — price of spa services
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WItravelersMilwaukee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 2 March 2007

A nice winter get-away awaits at Sundara Spa. The normal price of $500+ for the the Amoda Suite was a mere $189 mid-week in Feb. While we were waiting for our room to get ready we checked out the "Purifying Bath Ritual" which consisted of a couple of showers with sandstone mush you can apply all over yourself. A nice steam room and an indoor hot tub shared by all. The outdoor pool would be nice in warmer weather and the outdoor hot tub was closed due to snow accumulating on the roof above.
Our room was exceptional and we didnt want to leave it once we got there. The music CD's were a nice touch. The bathrooms and beds were top notch. Spa services were described correctly including the price, so you get what you pay for. The only negatives would be our 2 story room was cozy and peaceful until the furnace would kick on several times in the night and there would be a NOISY whooosh that would wake us both up....several times throughout the night. The other thing is to double check your bill when you check out...errors were corrected on the spot. All in all, we will be back to enjoy Sundara again.

• Liked — The Room
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank happytrails2uall
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 20 February 2007

We are a 30 year old married couple from Chicago and have travelled to many spas/hotels in the world.

We were skeptical about Sundara being in the Dells, but we were very surprised.

Spa: A+, the services were amazing, they explain everything very well, and the outdoor hot tub and heated pool were spectacular.

Room: Vihaara suite, For 350 dollars a night this is a steal. It came with a 3 person hot tub, fireplace, living room, screened in balcony, and the best bed you have ever slept on. We probably could have stayed a week. Its more like a cottage than a hotel room.

Service: Front Desk staff is probably at best mediocre. Almost never do they say hello or act like you are standing in front of them. The towncar driver(complimentary service) John has a great personality and definitely makes you feel like you are welcome.

The service in the actual spa is great...

Food: I found it to be above average. Breakfast was great (we had eggs, pancakes, and and omellette)
Lunch - Pizza and soup were not good at all
Dinner - Filet and past were above average.

Overall: I think the seclusion and overall spa services makes this place an annual trip for us. We are from Chicago and really felt we were further than 3 hours away from home.

Please go and enjoy!

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank MonteChicago
chicago
Reviewed 9 February 2007

My husband and I just got back from Sundara, it was my 40th birthday and just wanted to relax. The resort was beautiful. The pool (closed due to the bitter cold) and purifying bath (fancy word for hot tub) was surprisingly small. We took advantage of the february special, 2 nights for $329.The Vihaara Suite which is the 2nd largest suite was beautiful, HUGE whirlpool, tower shower system with 7 adjustable bodysprays was the highlight of our stay. It was SO COZY it was hard for me to leave my suite, which I did only once just to do the purifying bath( no big deal, too many people). The spa services prices are outrageous. We had pizza delivered the 2nd night . Next time we will go in the fall so that we can enjoy the outdoor amenities.

• Liked — The suite
  • Disliked — spa services too expensive
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 January 2007

My college girlfriend and I recently met at Sundara for a peaceful, relaxing retreat from our busy lives -- it proved to be a perfect respite. Driving up the winding wooded roadway which leads to the main facility/reception area, one feels their cares start to drift away and are surprised to find this gem tucked away amidst the commercialism of the Dells.

A hospitable greeter took us to our room and gave us a complete tour of the various bells and whistles contained in our "Amoda" suite. It included 2 stories, 2 king beds, a cozy fireplace, a welcoming sunporch, and 2 bathrooms -- and what amazing bathrooms - both featured state-of-the-art shower systems, and one included a bathtub big enough for a small elephant!!!

While the bathrooms alone could have provided a fairly decent spa getaway, we turned our attention to the spa itself. What a heavenly experience. The signature "ritual bath" is included with your room and provides a wonderful 5-step purifying/exfoliating/relaxation process...loved it. Then it was on to the "quiet room" with its comfortable lounge chairs, delicious pomegranite tea, bananas/apples, and picturesque view of the year-round outdoor pool and surrounding pines.

In terms of spa services themselves, I took advantage of the spa pedicure and the shea butter body wrap. In all honesty, while the spa services were top notch in terms of quality, I did find them overpriced, especially when gratuity is factored in.

One of the best features was the complimentary town car which provides rides to town for dinners...a great addition to our stay!!

My only other constructive comment has to do with some minor service observations -while the customer service in general was adequate, it seemed to be lackluster for a facility of this caliber. It would be helpful to train some of the staff to be somewhat better "brand ambassadors" (i.e., be able to articulate various spa services, provide more of a welcoming/gracious feeling for clients, appear more accommodating, etc). It's not that there were any overtly negative issues with service, it just could be taken up a notch or two in general.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience and we plan to return...frequently I hope!!

• Liked — Overall relaxation and amazing rooms
  • Disliked — Minor service concerns
  • Tips/Secrets — Try it...you'll love it.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank myboo
A great city by a Great Lake
Reviewed 31 October 2006

At first my husband and I were a little nervous about staying at a spa in the Dells---we're not really "Dells folks" (with the fudge shops, wax museums, carnival atmosphere). But Sundara is an absolute GEM!

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in the Amoda suite--a three level suite w/ 2 king beds, glorious bedding, a sheltered porch, two showers (loved the two person shower in the loft bathroom!), one whirlpool bath...it was heavenly. If you're into a loud hotel, party atmosphere--this is NOT your place. If you want to relax, put your robe on after you check-in and leave it on until you check-out--this IS your place! We felt like we were in the Pacific Northwest looking over tall pines & waterfalls could be heard from our balcony. The staff was eager to please and accommodating.

The cuisine is all organic and, while pricey, was exceptional. If you need a steak, the complimentary Sundara town car will shuttle you to a local restaurant. My husband and I had four spa services--this is a spa that approaches services from a holistic viewpoint--services are health- and wellness-emphasized (this is not a glorified beauty salon). I cannot say enough about the therapists and estheticians -- top notch! The bath ritual is divine and we did it over and over (esp at 8:30pm at night when we had the place to ourselves). The outdoor pools were lovely and relaxing. At night, the poolside fireplace was so inviting and a great place to sip a glass of wine. We'll go back again....we still dream about our relaxing two-day stay!

• Liked — Exceptional bedding; privacy, quiet, beauty, and relaxation...
  • Disliked — Can be pricey...
  • Tips/Secrets — Check the Sundara Spa website for seasonal specials before booking; cheapest rates Sun-Thurs.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LoveKauai
Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 October 2006

My new husband and I stayed here from Sunday October 1st-Tuesday October 3rd. We stayed in the Amoda Suite on the 3rd Floor. There are approx 26 suites in the main building which we were in. All Amoda Suites have a view of the infinity pool, which is beautiful. The Villas(which are the houses you can stay in) are right across from the pool up the hill. We could see them from our window. They are huge and sleep eight people. They were the same price as our room was, but less intimate. And they didn't have a hot tub.

ARRIVING:
We arrived Sunday afternoon. The feeling was very calm. The front desk staff spoke very quietly. We checked in and they took our bags up to our room and gave us a tour of the room. He showed us how to use all the light switches, hot tub, showers, fireplace, etc. We tipped him $5.

PURIFYING RITUAL:
We then put on our swim suits and put our robes on, which we lived in for two days. They supply flip flops, but I wore my own because theirs hurt my feet. We went down to the front lobby and told them we would like to use the ritual facility. They had a spa attendant come and meet us out in the lobby. They took us through the double wooden doors. The men enter through the men's locker room on the left and the women on the right. You meet out by the showers and hottub. You use a exfoliating mud like scrub in the hot shower. Then you spray scented hydrating mist on eachother and go into the steam room. Then a cold shower, which we both skipped. Then into the hot tub...and into the cold tub, and I mean cold. But you only need to walk into it and then right out. My husband didn't catch that part and sat in the tub for minutes. Ha.
We used this service several times during our stay. It was open until 9pm and you can go in and out any time you like.

ENJOYING OUR ROOM
That first night we ordered Pizza from a local pizza place and had it delivered. We sat in front of the fireplace in our robes and opened up our wedding cards with margaritas. We then watched Desperate Housewives on our tv while lying on the couch. Although it sounds odd to watch tv on a retreat like this, it is something we never get to do as we work opposite schedules. So, this was a treat for us. There is a feather bed that goes on top of the couch that is kept under the sink in your bar area. Use that and grab a blanket. So cozy.

We had a loft upstairs with a bathroom and four poster canopied bed. It had a curtain that went all the way around the bed. We used that bed to sleep in. Downstairs was another bed out in the open and we used that to nap in and just lounge. Both were king size with feather beds and down comforters. Each bed had 4 king size feather pillows. There is extra sheets in living room coffee table.

The mini bar had a fridge, sink, glasses, and cocktail mixer set. No microwave. It had some snacks in a basket, but we brought our own. Fridge made its own ice and had bottled water and root beer.

Screened in porch had two loungers. I believe they are heated in winter. The bathroom downstairs had a huge hot tub-enough for four people if you wanted. It is in the bathroom but there is no wall seperating it. Just a curtain. You can't use candles in the room and you can't use soap in hot tub. We just sprinkled flower petals all around. We sat in it and it came up to our chests. Double sinks...bad lighting though. Big shower with eight heads.

We had no problem with noise from other rooms or from outside. We had our windows open the entire stay.

FOOD:
We did not use the food service at all. They do not have a restaurant. It is room service or else there is a Rotunda on the 2nd floor where people have there food delivered and eat in their robes. We went out to Ginza which is a Japanese Restaurant. We ate at the Hibatchi Table...so good. We had the Lincoln Town car take us and pick us up. We just told the front desk that afternoon where we wanted to eat. They made the reservations and saved us a time slot on the town car service. We tipped him $5 each way. They do not allow you to stop anywhere else if not scheduled due to having to keep to their own schedule.

I tried ordering a drink several times by the pool, but there was never anyone around. Then when I would get a hold of the spa attendants, they said they would go and get me a server, which never arrived any of the times I asked. So, they lost out on money that way. We brought our own drinks for the room, but never took it out of the room.

THE SPA SERVICES:
We both received a massage and facial. They were both wonderful. We tipped our therapists cash right afterwards, but the resort offers a nice service. When you check out, they ask if you would like to leave any gratuities. They hand you envelopes you label and they give them to whomever. We tipped our maids this way. The maids left cards in the room with their names on them. The maids come and turn down your bed at night if you like. The usually just stop by and ask. They turn down the covers and leave you chocolates. Sweet touch.
If you order a spa package, make sure you check the bill to be sure you were charged the correct amount. My husband ordered a men's package but got charged for each individual service which was almost $40 more. So it pays to be pro-active and double check everything. We had no problem what so ever getting this corrected by staff.

STAFF:
Staff was great. Very accomodating. We enjoyed them. They speak quietly and a lot have accents, so it is sometimes hard to understand them.

OUTSIDE:
Pool was warm enough. It is open year round. Can't wait to swim in it when it is snowing out. Hot tub perfect temp. Hot tub outdoors by the pool and inside in the purifying ritual area, which you can use anytime it is open. Fire outside during late afternoon into the night. It is so nice and warm. Nice touch outside. The pool towels are huge and fluffy. There is a bathing suit dryer outside of locker room. It is super loud and I didn't quite get how they could get away with that since it is right in the ritual room, but it only takes 10 seconds and gets them pretty dry.

I think that I have covered most of everything. We really enjoyed ourselves. When my husband came and woke me up in the morning, he was in regular clothes. It made me sad. It was a big sign we were going home. We had lived in those robes, as does everyone else. I can't wait to go back and spend a few more days. Everything was perfect.

• Liked — Relaxation
  • Disliked — Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Watch your bill. Bring own food/snacks/drinks for room