“wonderful place to stay”

Black Hawk Motel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay here for two nights. Great indoor and outdoor pool. We stayed in a cute little cottage with 3 queen size beds and a jacuzzi. The kids enjoyed it. Reasonable rates! You will save a lot of money if you stay here because it includes free Noah's ark and chula vista water park passes! We will be staying here again next year! They have a couple play areas for the kids and if you want to save money on a meal the do have grilling areas as well!

Room Tip: If you have kids I would request small cottage or joining rooms so everybody has their own space. Ra...
1  Thank Telle B
TheBlackHawk, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We are happy to hear that you found us to be a Wonderful Place to Stay! Our cottages our some of our most popular rooms and they book up quickly. We look forward to accommodating you again next year and Thank You for your review! Truly, Brad

Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Fort Dells is gone, no more Indian Ceremonial at night, but the Blackhawk Motel is still there. A time honored tradition that is updated every year. Our "home away from home" in the Dells. Rooms are clean, owners are friendly, rates reasonable, and close to the downtown area. Many discounts and coupons free with each room.

3  Thank M K

Glad you found us to be Perfect as we intend on staying here for decades to come and provide lasting memories for families....just as we have always been doing since 1945. Sure do miss Fort Dells as well. Check out a web site on this great old attraction....Friends of Fort Dells. We hope to see you again soon and thanks for your review! Sincerely, Brad

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My sister and I made our annual family trek to the Black Hawk earlier this week. We have been staying here for four years now, and it never fails to meet our needs and then some. The staff are always friendly and the service is always top notch. The kids were a little bummed that the slide and diving board were temporarily out of commission. But the owner directed us two blocks away to another family owned Motel where the kids used their diving board to their hearts content. With the "BIG NAME" resorts eating up all of the property in the Dells area it is nice to see that family values and old fashioned service still mean something! We will be back again....and again.....and again.

2  Thank Vorps

Thank you so much for your review and more importantly for your continued patronage to the Black Hawk, we very much appreciate it. We are a waiting repair of our pool slide and will definitely have it for years to come and still hoping to bring back our diving board, but depends on our insurance carrier. We always strive to provide a great old fashion family vacation and focus year to year on improving our property while keeping a retro charm. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you real soon! Sincerely, Brad

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had a great time. There were 5 of us. Great room. Quiet for the most part. Indoor pool was nice. Very friendly staff. Parking was a little tight. Room was cleaned fast every day. Would recommend it to anyone. Free Noah's Ark passes were great.

Room Tip: Book early. There is only one room like the one we had. We want to come back again in August but n...
1  Thank Dancermom5

Thank you for choosing the Black Hawk and for taking the time to write us a review! We agree that parking by our cottages is tight, however we have plenty of extra parking if ever needed. Please check our website for availability in August as we do get cancelations and a room for 5 may open. We hope to see you again soon! Sincerely, Brad

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was our second time staying at the Black Hawk motel...my family loves staying here. In the midst of the busy Wisconsin Dells, there is a homey, quiet place to relax. The owner works hard and cares about his guests.

1  Thank Kris C

Kris, Thank you so much for your review and for joining our many repeat guests by staying with us for the second time! Thank you for your comments, my wife Tena and I appreciate it. We hope to see you again soon and have a great rest of the summer! Sincerely, Brad

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I chose this motel based on the excellent trip advisor reviews. I would not rate this place so high. First the positives. It was clean. We did not see any bugs. The windows open, so the smell in the room left quickly. We let the kids walk on the carpet without socks. It was amazingly quiet. I was expecting traffic noise, but I did not hear anything from the room. It was very accessible. Parking was reserved right in front of the room, so we could get things from the car easily. The free waterpark passes were unrestricted, with no hidden charges, a great value! It was fun to try out two waterparks.
Now for the reasons I only gave three stars. The some of the arcade games did not work. The motel refunded our lost change, but we did not use it again after the first night. Their website advertises that the outdoor pool is heated. It was very cold. The outdoor pools at the waterparks were heated and comfortable, so I know it could have been warmer at the motel. The kids loves the slide at the indoor pool, but it was wrapped in caution tape for the last two days. I could see no visible change from the first two days. I was left wondering if it was unsafe the first two nights. With no slide, a cold outdoor pool, and inoperative arcade games, my kids complained that we should have stayed at Great Wolf Lodge. The mattresses were average. The pillows and blankets were thin and worn. The sheets came off the mattress every night. The playground is too close to the parking lot. Kids darted in front of my car.
I know the owner reads the reviews so I will make a few suggestions: Put a fence around the play ground. Put a "registration parking" sign near the warning sign announcing restricted parking. I did not know where to park to sign in. In the office, take down the showerhead sign & put up a TV with local news and weather for your customers. Take down the hand soap dispensers in the showers. Put up a retractable clothes line in the showers for drying bathing suits. Open the laundry facility earlier. I wanted to finish laundry by 8:30am, not start it. Upgrade the bedding. When you give directions, assume we do not know the area at all. I drove around 25 minutes in the dark before I gave up. When you respond to a complaint in a review, do not tell the customer that they should have complained in person. You have a nice place, but I was expecting better base on the reviews. If the slide and the arcade were working, you would get 4 stars.

Room Tip: We liked the large queen room. It was near the office, pool, and playground. Some of the rooms are o...
1  Thank Lapel4
TheBlackHawk, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review after your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you feel we have a nice place and you found us to be clean, quiet and a great value with reserved parking at your door. When guests stay with us and let us know of maintenance issues or have concerns we appreciate them letting us know during their stay. So yes,...you should have asked if the pool was heated, because it is...however a bad thermal coupling needed to be replaced and since has been. This may have been able to be addressed sooner with notice from a guest and we have close to 40 reviews since this review with out one complaint on our pool temp. I apologize for the arcade games not working. Our vendor is from DeKalb, IL and does a great job maintaining the games...however may take up to a week to get to the Dells to make repairs. I appreciate you recommendations and will give some of them some thought. A fence around our 30K playground would hurt the curb appeal, however we will add a slow children at play signs and of course we always hope parents WATCH their children. We do have space right in front of our office for guest check ins, however I agree a sign may help as some people get confused. I will never add clothes lines to the showers because I was told by a plumber who helped build the Kalahari that they are nothing but junk and think they are cheaply made. Our shower / shampoo gel gives the guests another option while showering and we have repeat guests that have purchased this product from us in the past and it does a great job controlling soap scum. Seeing we also offer bar soap in all rooms, I wonder why you think we should remove it? I do try to cut out the local weather from the newspaper and post it, but admit I sometimes often forget and we do refer guests to channel 65 for the most accurate weather. A boy cut his foot in a freak accident as I was told he was going down the slide wrong. I determined it wasn't worth the risk of another child getting hurt and closed the slide for repair. This was out of our control, things do break and need maintenance, we are sorry this happen during your stay with us. There are rooms above our guest coin laundry, this is why we don't open it earlier, however if you had asked I most likely may have been able to open it earlier as these rooms were not rented every night in early to mid June.Soon our own commercial laundry will be complete as we will be cleaning our own linens instead of sending them out to company. This will unable us to keep all our laundry in house each year instead of losing our stock as it's sent to different businesses. This will help us to upgrade our linen as we know at the end of the season, we will have the same stock on hand. Sorry to hear you got lost driving around. Not sure where you intended to go??? However there's a good map of the area and in general the Dells is easy to get around. Again Thank you for your review, I look forward to reading your Pros and Cons review on your recent stay at the Great Wolf to see how we compare. The Great Wolf is a great place and we do recommend it, stayed there a few times when our kids were younger. Have a great rest of the summer! Sincerely, Brad

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Reviews of this motel had it as one of tom 10 underrated in the country and its ranking for tbe area was exceptionally high. While the staffwere very friendly and the location good, the property itself needs a facelift. Had some nice features for a smallproperty including both indoor and outdoor pool. Pool slide unusable but considering the liability factor I am surprised they havent removed it completely. It is a classic "timewarp" motel from the 60s. Fits right in with downtown Delks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
TheBlackHawk, General Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for your review and for choosing the Black Hawk. To my knowledge, we have never been ranked as a top 10 under rated property in the country. What you are referring to is our 2013 top 10 Winner (ranked #4 in the country) for Bargain places to stay in the U.S. We are a budget friendly motel, not a 5 star property. However, we constantly are putting profits back into our property, like newly renovated room 23 and now it's complete as the new furniture and artwork arrived last week. We do know our first building needs facelift and it's in the plans, (which can be found on our face book page) when the time is right. We realize with our popular rankings that it's impossible to please every ones expectations. We are who we are and offer a clean room, friendly customer service and a great value. As far as our pool slide being unsafe and not removed as it was still in the water. It was still in the water for a reason, reason being that we had to have a window removed by Beaver Glass in order to JUST get the slide out of the building, and this was not done until 6/23/14. I found it to be safer still sitting in the water and taped off than sitting on the pool deck where it could have been tipped over onto someone.
Safe travels, Brad