“We love the atmosphere at the Black Hawk Motel”

Black Hawk Motel & Suites
Ranked #1 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
De Pere, Wisconsin
“We love the atmosphere at the Black Hawk Motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

My husband and I made our first trip to Wisconsin Dells this past week. We tried the Black Hawk because of their reviews and we were very pleased with what we found. Kind of like a diamond in the rough.

The front desk was very friendly. We were pleased with the cleanliness. The new mattresses were heavenly. The towels were clean and very white. The view from our room overlooked the outside pool. The whirlpool tub, in the room, rocks.

When we arrived into our room, we started to put items into the fridge that was provided....we found the door was sprung and would not close tightly. We made a phone call to the front desk. In 5 minutes the owner was up to our room. Took a look, left, and returned with another young man. They took to fridge out and replaced it with a brand new one. This took a total of 15 minutes from call to finish. Outstanding customer service!!

We brought food to grill out on the charcoal grill at the motel and it worked out very nice. Bring your own charcoal and starter, we did. It is also available at the front desk if you don't want to haul it with you.

We will definitely come back to this motel in the future. We may have to bring friends and family and rent one of the cottages for us all.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Roxrocks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

We stayed at this motel because of the trip advisor recommendations. When we first pulled up there was tatooed, muscle shirt, cigarette smoking, 20ish, group of people standing in the drive way. We almost turned around and left. When I called and ordered the rooms I had asked for 2 nonsmoking rooms with 2 queen beds but said they only had one with 2 queens. I asked if they had any cancelations to please hold one for us. When we checked in she did have 2 rooms with 2 queens but didn't say anything until I over heard another quest ask for a 2 queen room I then asked why we didn't get one save for us when I had secificly asked for one to be held. She didn't really have an answer but did look it up and noticed that we did ask for the 2 rooms to be 2 queens and nonsmoking. We proceed to our rooms the first seemed clean but had a foul order to it (musty, damp, old, as if not air out for monthes). The second room the smell almost knocked us over smelling of damp, old, musty smoke. We opened every window and door and turned on the fan to try and get the smell out. This was a nonsmoking room and said so in the room. The bathroom had some mold in the shower and either dirt or mold along the edge of the floor. The shower also had a glued mat in the bottom of it to prevent slipping that was torn and peeling up. Some of the clean folded towels had hair madded in them. I expected up dated rooms (which I even asked about when I called) but the decor seem as if it was from the 80's. We didn't use the pools or the game room so I can't comment on them. I don't know if we were unlucky or if this is what you should expect in the dells. I won't stay here again and can't say I'd reccommend it for any of my friends. We expected a ma and pop place with young families and it did seem to give that feel once we got past the first group of people.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank Erin56
BlackHawkMotel, Manager at Black Hawk Motel & Suites, responded to this review, 20 June 2009
One of the great things about tripadvisor.com is that management gets to tell their side of the story if they choose to do so. To Erin56, we are a family motel that caters towards families with children, couples, seniors, familes and friends. If I am a mid 20's adult, who has a few tattoos, smokes and may like to wear a muscle shirt, I would be offended by your comment. In fact, if I am a parent or grandparent who has kids or grandkids that fit this description, I may also be offended. Or If I simply have a few tattoos, I may be offended. The old saying goes..."don't judge a book by it's cover". I am not sure who this group of people were, but I do know that we did not have any problems with them, and if we would have, they would of been out of here!

The night of your stay, we did have a rather large number of cancellations from a group of family and friends that always stay with us, who rebooked a later date. This opened up a few rooms with two queens and so forth. Looking at your reservation, I thought you wanted the rooms as close together as possible, that's why I didn't move the single queen that you initially reserved. Thinking back, I should of called you and asked which was a bigger priority for you, and I apologize for not doing so. However, it worked out where you still got your two rooms with two queens each. The first room you mentioned was not rented for 5 days, so it may not of had a fresh air smell to it, however it has been rented every night since you checked out and no one has complained about it. The other room you refer to is one of our most requested rooms that we have for various reasons. Never a complaint of musty smell and this room does not have a smell of smoke, we know when a room smells like a ashtray. The mold you refer to in the tub and bathroom was not mold. Mold comes out with a scrub brush and elbow grease. What you were seeing was discolored tub and tile grout / caulk. This room has the original cast iron tub from the early 70's and years later tub surrounds were installed around the tub and caulked and over the years the brigh white caulk has faded and discolored, we will cut this old caulk out in put in new when time allows. I am well aware of the tub mat peeling up, in fact there are about 3-4 tub mats peeling up throughout the property. New ones are on back order and should be arriving soon. My thinking is that 90% of a tub mat is better than no tub mat at all, for safety reasons of course. We apologize for any hair that was in your clean towels, one of our staff does brush her hair constantly, but still loses hair...we are human. If you wanted a newly remodeled room, you could have had your choice of the whirlpool king bed ground floor for only $25 more, or others for more money. They are not more because they are newly remodeled, but because they sleep larger families. We remodel rooms every winter, however we do not have the funds or time to remodel the entire property all at once. The rooms you had do have newer carpet, bedspreads, 27" TV's and more, however they do not resemble a four or five star property if that's what you were looking for.

There was no mention during your stay with us that you were unhappy with anything. I wish you would of given us the chance to "make it right". I could of done a number of things to try and satisfy you, however...we have to be notified when you are unhappy or something needs attention. Not a word was said about any displeasure with your stay. One thing I would have definitely offered was a full refund if you wanted to stay else where, because we would much rather have a vacant room or two, than unhappy guests. We listen to our guests and do all we possibly can to satisfy each and every one of them, however....we have been in this business for almost 65 years and realize that you can't please eveyone, that's just the way some people are. I am not referring to just this business, but any business. Anyone who works with the public knows what I am talking about.

Sorry you didn't have a chance to try our pools or our retro 80's game room. However, no mention if you were happy with the large 27" TV's or new Sealy Encore Plush beds, or raised toilet in one of your rooms. I am sure that you appreciated the reserved parking right outside your door.

Thank you.
Middletown NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

After reading the reviews about the Black Hawk, we decided to give it a try. How happy were we when we went in the room, and it was exactly as described! No surprises! And it was probably cleaner than any other motel we've ever stayed at. We are fanatic about clean, and there was no problem with the bed, bathroom, etc. Very comfortable, and quiet! The location couldn't have been better - actually walked to the main downtown area! Our son loved both the indoor and outdoor pool, and the game room had a lot of the classics. We will definitely make the Black Hawk Motel our "home away from home" whenever we visit the Dells! Try it - we guarantee you'll be back!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank MoeJoke
Fort Wayne, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

This past week we stayed in Room 71 with 2 queen beds and a kitchenette. This is the only one of this kind, so I'm sure it sells quickly. The kitchenette is actually no different than a regular kitchen, except the refrigerator is smaller. It has a full-size stove & oven, microwave, sink and even a dishwasher- better than most TownPlace Suites and the like. The pictures on the website are now updated for this room and they are a fair representation of the room. Not only is the kitchen and carpet new, but the room itself was immaculately clean. The desk staff, maids... everyone was courteous and quick to assist us. My kids loved both indoor & outdoor pools, plus it had 2 hot tubs, a video game room and a sauna room. The only bad part about was that we had to leave to come home!

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank tarb68
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

I had read a number of reviews on this place and decided to try it out. We traveled with a group that had 12 rooms here for 2 days. I didn't solicit comments from the others but my experience was just as the reviews stated. The room was large, very clean and priced right which was perfect for what we needed. We were not looking for the big overpriced waterpark hotel on this trip. We came to play baseball first and swim and relax second. This place deserves it's reputation.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank alexsean0
Chaska, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2009

Loved the atmosphere, the location, the ammenities. Service was top-notch. We loved the family-run feel of the motel. Good mixture of "old Wisconsin Dells" feel with modern conveniences. We'll be staying there from now on.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Tapegodess
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

We booked a condo at Glacier Canyon Lodge at the Wilderness for three nights. On a whim we decided to leave one day early and find a place to stay for one night. So based on trip advisor reviews, we chose the Blackhawk. It did not disappoint! After driving from the Chicago area, we arrived at the Blackhawk at about 8 pm. Check in was easy and the owner's son was at the front desk. He was very nice. We had a double queen room right across from the pool. The room was huge by double room standards. It had a two comfortable brand new beds, a huge TV with DVD player, a microwave and mini-fridge ( that could hold a gallon of milk and a 12 pack of pop, among other things!) and a table and chairs, and a dresser of course.

The room was spotless! And I am very picky about hotel rooms and letting my 3 year old touch stuff, sleep in hotel beds and walk barefoot on hotel carpet, but this room was so clean! Big kudos to the cleaning staff.

This is an old hotel, in fact, once we were here I vaguely remembered staying here before with my parents as a kid. It's right down the street from the downtown strip. It's the old motel style set up with most of the rooms on the ground floor with your own parking space right outside your door. The decor is what's now called retro and some of the furniture, like the lamps and chairs are old but in fantastic shape! The air and heating unit was in the wall and looked pretty old. I was skeptical about it working but the room was toasty warm in no time. We had to turn it down.

The bathroom was very clean with no problems. They had these soap and shampoo/body wash dispensers on the wall above the sink and in the shower. We've never seen this before anywhere. What a great idea! That must eliminate a lot of waste by keeping those little bottles out of landfills. There was also eye makeup remover packets available on the sink. What a cool touch! I've never seen that even in fancy high priced hotels.

We slept great and actually felt sad to check out the next morning. They have an outdoor and indoor pool with little kids slides, kiddie wading pool and a hot tub. We didn't have time to use the indoor pool but it was open until 11 pm! The property also has a couple of small playgrounds. One of which they were laying new mulch or something in. The play equipment in that area looked pretty new.

They also have cottages for rent. We stopped to check these out and it looked like they were putting new appliances in and remodeling.

When we got to the condo at the wilderness, it was nice and pretty but we would have saved so much money had we spent our stay at the Blackhawk, and been just as comfortable! It was only $50 for the night and we got a Dells 2 for 1 Fun Card good for attractions and food. The card saved us over $30 and we only used it twice. That made our room really cheap though! We will definitely go back to the Blackhawk!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family