“I could have camped outside and had a better time”

Alakai Hotel and Suites
Ranked #24 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Raleigh, North Carolina
“I could have camped outside and had a better time”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

A friend and I stayed at Alakai this past weekend, he had signed up for a time share thing and THIS is where they stuck us. The exterior looks fine, but the inside was a whole other story. The moment we walked in, our nasal senses were invaded with a STRONG "your grandmother's house" potpourri smell. Not in a "oh, they're trying to make it smell good in here" sense, this was more "you'll find this odor permeating your dreams and clothes in a different timezone" stench. We go in to check in, not expecting miracles, and the woman at the desk is exceptionally rude in informing us that we must go to the visitors center first before checking in. No reason given, just barked the order and went about her business. The people at the visitor center were much nicer, and then we were able to go check in to our room. Once in our room, it smells JUST as terrible as the rest of the building, we have 2 queen beds with NO blankets (it's a cozy 11 degrees with frozen everything outside), the heater barely works and we had requested a king sized bed. My friend goes back to the desk to let her know there was a mistake and all she says is "king beds aren't included in the time-share package"; never mind when he booked the place they asked him what bed he preferred. So he comes back and tells us we are stuck with the room. The beds don't even have fitted sheets, just one sheet wrapped over the mattress, a THIN velourish looking green blanket and another sheet over top that. I asked the same front desk woman if we could have a blanket and was told "that IS the blanket". I said "that thin green looking thing is supposed to keep us warm?" and she replied "yes". The bottom 2 drawers in the dresser were also sealed shut so they could store cleaning rags in there, as opposed to the guests clothing. I was locked out of the actual hotel building at 1 am when it was about 10 degrees outside (I went to retrieve my phone charger out of the truck), there's no sign indicating that the front entrance is locked after a certain time. Luckily someone else was locked out of their room and saw me standing at the front door for about 10 minutes, and they let me in. There was NO ONE at the front desk at that time and I'm really not sure if they were able to get back into their room. This place is a PIECE of crap, the front desk attendant could use some intensive customer service courses and they need to lay off the potpourri fumes and get some actual live plants in there instead of raiding Michael's arts and crafts for fake greenery. Not impressed at all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amanda M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dane, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My family stayed at the Alakai over the holidays and we couldn't have been more pleased. We have a two year old and he was more then comfortable in their kiddie waterpark. We had fun, the room was clean and service was friendly. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank WolfpackOfDane
Chicago
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the Alakai 9-13-9-15 and we had another niice stay. The room was very clean and it was nice and quiet after a busy weekend in the dells for the fest. We would recommend Alakai to anyone who asked.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sunpeople1
Alma, Arkansas
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We have now been to the Alakai hotel and we just love it. It is perfect for our little ones to play in the pools and enjoy the family experience. We have tried the other water resorts and we enjoy the fact we can enjoy our time without getting run over and splashed by unattended children. My boys love it and we save money to do all the the other attractions the Dells have to offer. We will be back for years to come.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel exceeded my expectations it was super clean and by that I mean spotless. It was very comfortable and the pools were lots of fun. I loved that it was far from all the chaos. My family and I would definitely come back and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Katherine C
Chisinau, Chisinau, Moldova
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Planned on staying only 1 night and stayed 4 nights. This hotel is very clean, rooms are very comfortable and the pools are lots of fun. We planned on going to the large waterparks but after driving by them decided to go back to the Alakai. My children 8, 10 & 13 had so much fun in their outdoor pool. This is the perfect hotel for any vacation getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel was absolutely horrible! The few pictures they show online are not accurate. We walked in and our room was an ordinary room with stagnant, out of date overtones. The price is far too much for what you're actually getting here.

My real absolutely flooring issue with this place was after we went swimming in the outdoor pool that just so happened to be freezing, I decided to go sit in the indoor hot tub. My eyes had begun to water due to the over abundance of unnecessary chemicals in the hot tub. When I stood up to get out, my husband gasped and told me the entire backside of my swimsuit was now a see through mesh suit! In other words, I now was showing my backside to everyone at the pool. Horrified and mad that I now no longer have a suit for the remainder of my vacation, I went and complained to the front desk. Clearly between the water pressure and ALL of the chemicals ate through my expensive swim suit! I spoke to the woman at the desk, rather than apologetic she was rude and said it was my swim suit. What? are you kidding me? How ridiculous. We travel a lot and I have never had an issue like this. I purchase high end, quality swimsuits. Regardless, if this was my place of business, I would have done what I could have to rectify the situation rather than create an argument and upset the customer even more. The kicker is, after this woman upset me so much I asked for the manager. SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS THE OWNER. We checked out and found another hotel with kind, customer friendly practices. I would never ever recommend this place. They are so rude and should NOT be in the hotel industry. If you stay here, you better hope you don't have an issue their philosophy is "too bad, so sad".

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else! Horrible, horrible!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family