“Nice until the COCK ROACH”

Alakai Hotel and Suites
Ranked #32 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Near Chicago
“Nice until the COCK ROACH”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

We thought it was priced ok, because of the Mount Oympic passes, Placed looked alright,well kept, clean, I got up in the early in the morning to use the bathroom and their it was a Cock Roach, I killed it, told the front desk they didnt seem that worried so i woke everyone up, we shook all are clothes out and left.

2 Thank LampFamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

We (husband, wife, 9 and 6 year old daughters) planned a last minute getaway to the Wisconsin Dells and decided on this hotel because they were offering a Mt. Olympus Theme and Waterpark package at the time of our stay. The tickets to Mt. Olympus alone would have been more than our hotel room for our family. I was a little concerned after seeing some of the pictures on the Internet that the rooms would be worn and dated, but they were not. The room and the common areas of the hotel were very clean and well maintained. While the hotel is certainly not a brand new mega-resort, it is a very clean and very well maintained hotel. A few things lacking in the rooms which people have come to expect are a coffee maker (coffee is available in the lobby in the morning), hair dryer and iron/ironing board. The indoor and outdoor pool areas were very clean and the chairs were comfortable, however, you do need to bring your own beach towels. This hotel does not have a large waterpark like many of the resorts in the area, but the indoor and outdoor pool areas do each have a few small/medium size slides -- the kids enjoyed them and I especially enjoyed that I was able to sit in one spot and see them the entire time -- the family was able to get their "fix" of large waterslides and rides at Mt. Olympus and relax in the evening when we came back to the hotel. There are some restaurants (local and chain) and shops (local and an outlet mall) within walking distance of the hotel, but you do have a short drive to get to the downtown/tourist area. We ate at a few local restaurants during our stay and I would recommend any of them (The Brat House, Monk's, Buffalo Phil's, Paul Bunyan's). The only place we ate that I would not recommend was the Pizza Pub -- it wasn't terrible, but there are surely better options. We also took a Dells Boat Tour of the Upper Dells -- we would highly recommend this. The only other comment I would make, based on some of the other comments was that all of the staff we encountered at the hotel was very friendly. The same lady was at the front desk our entire visit and she always greeted us with kind words and a smile, even when we were just passing by.

Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

This hotel was wonderful. Nothing was bad about it. I went with two children: a 16 year old and a 14 year old and they had an excellent time as well as I. The hotel was clean, the pools were fun, and the service was great! The people at the front desk were very nice and inviting. The place was just wonderful and we are going back next year! The staff saw that my daughter was in the pool, and turned on the sprinklers for her. Everything was just wonderful. It's great for all ages!!!

Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

My Wife, two young children and I stayed at the Alakai first week of Jun '09. It was a very clean hotel and room. The price was an excellent value as it provided each of us a full days pass to Mt. Olympus on everday of our stay including both arrival and check out days. Alexandria (owner) was very accomodating with passes before our check in so we could jump right in to the activities.
As far as service and front desk attitudes, it doesnt hurt to suck up a little... If you have a problem here, look in the mirror.
The owners stay on site and this is a home to them, we acted accoringly and were treated kindly with the hospitality and friendly, proffesional service. The owner even makes a point to walk accross the parking lot to have a cigarette break. If you are price savy and want a safe, clean, family friendly environment, this place is for you. It is close to Knuckleheads, Khalahari, movie thesaater, outlet mall and a ton of other conveniences.
One thing I recomend is making a stop at the grocery store and stocking the room fridge with snacks and drinks.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MikePsFamily
Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

Their cancellation policy is terrible - 72 hours or you pay full price. Had an illness with a 90+ year old and had to cancel. Explained situation to the owner and wouln't budge on policy and wasn't very nice about it. Don't waste your time here - plenty of other good places close by.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IllinoisSmith
Falls City, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights and each night was a pleasure. The location was perfect for us,after driving 9 + hours it was easy to find, it was right there when we drove into town.
The rooms were VERY clean, as was the pool. The room was just as it was described. The photos on the website are right on. No surprises when you walk in the room! My kids enjoyed the pool very much, as did my husband and I. The slides and the fountains were not on but they turned them on as soon as they saw someone in the pool or if you asked. We never had a problem with that. The couple who own the Alakai were VERY friendly to us. We felt very welcome. I think what people have commented on, on the other posts about always feeling watched was just the front desk being friendly. They seem to want you to feel at home and welcome. Over all I would stay here again and again!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Streator, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

My wife and I stayed here just to drop our 2 young grandsons off to my daughter & son-in-law who had reservations at a big WaterPark-Resort. They got tied up in traffic getting there and our 2 grandsons(2 & 8) were crying their eyes out to go swimming. We had them for about 3 hours before their parents showed up: so I let them put on their suits and took them to the indoor pool. The arrogant mean old hag at the front desk came charging into the pool room screaming at my oldest grandson about jumping feet first into the pool then tried to berate me since I had a reservation for 2 adults and no children:since normally the grandkids was supposed to get picked up right away. The woman was the most arrogant innkeeper I have seen in my life anywhere in the US!! The kids were only in the pool a short time and I took them back to the room to change and get ready to get picked up. The next morning when I checked out: The same old bat was at the front desk and charged me for 2 extra people for the night!! I argued with her about it and told her we would NEVER stay there again. It is a horrible shame because the rooms were spotless and other than the woman at the front desk I would have giving this place 5 Stars: but not when I am treated like DIRT !!! I did send an e-mail later to the motel and the Dells Commerce: BUT NEVER GOT A REPLY: Have never been treated like thast from an Innkeeper.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family