“Affordable Comfort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Affordable Comfort”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

If your looking for clean, quiet, comfortable, affordable, this is the place. You don't have to put up with kids running the halls all night, trying to find a place to park, over priced drinks or food. The staff is helpful, the rooms are clean, the beds are very comfortable. When you check room prices online you have the option to add on packages. We always add the del-bar package, $ 75 dining certificate that costs you only $ 50. Great place to eat and you can walk there. Over all the hilton is a great place to stay, i only wish we would of discovered it sooner.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room 2nd floor with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jeff w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

This was my first time at the Wisconsin Dells. I am writing this review from my room currently at the Hilton Garden Inn.

The location of this hotel is perfect because everything is closeby. I enjoyed my stay the most because of how courteous the front desk staff has been towards me. They are very helpful and some even went out of their way to accommodate myself.

They have 4 hot tubs. 2 of them are outside and 2 of them are indoors. Each time I went it was very peaceful to use them. The indoor pool is only 5' deep but it is a heated which is a plus. They also have a walk up bar in the pool area.

The only downsides I found, the gym closes at 10pm and to eat breakfast it costs $10 a person. It is much cheaper to just go to Dunkin Donuts! Other than that, I have no complaints.

• Stayed August 2012
wisconsin
Reviewed 10 August 2012

All kids running the show. The lobby is very nice, but it ended there. The pool was cloudy and over amount of chemical to keep clean, the hot tub area had bottle caps and butts on the ground and the hot tubs had scum on the sides and leaves in them. They didnt look like they were cared for in weeks. Had trouble with the first room smelling like urine so they switched the room, which was better, but the front dest forgot about us for an hour, we finally went down to the lobby the get the key, and she said she forgot. Understaffed front desk and I suspect the whole hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We have stayed here a few times when we go up to the dells and it has always been a flawless visit. We have tried to stay in other resorts and they don't hold a candle to the location, customer service, and quality of this hotel. The beds are very comfortable, the rates are good for quality, and the noise level is very low. We were within walking distance of pretty much everything we wanted to do. Each night we took walks outside and stopped in some of the shops. We walked to Mr. Pancake in the morning for breakfast, which is a great breakfast diner, and we walked to Noah's Ark, which was nice. The staff is very friendly and accommodating to last minute reservations. All in all, it's the best place to stay in the Dells.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor and at the end for a balcony and some quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kbhittner
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

First of all, I should say that I am a Hilton Diamond of many years, so I've stayed in a LOT of Hilton properties, including HGI's. This is not your average HGI. Don't get me wrong, this is a great property, But if you're looking for your typical hilton garden inn business hotel, you will find some differences.... first of all, the pool is huge, and there are multiple hot tubs. There is also no restaurant here, other than the breakfast area, so you can't have lunch or dinner at the hotel. The breakfast restaurant is handled a bit differently than your standard HGI hotel in that you have to order your hot items (eggs etc) from a wait staff member, rather than having the option of serving it yourself out of a warming tray, which is kind of a pain. That being said, there are about 7 or 8 restaurants within 100 yards of the entrance to the hotel, so you won't want for food. All in all, this is very much like your typical hilton garden inn business hotel, but it is definitely tweaked a bit to accommodate families on vacation. Also of note is that this hotel is right in the middle of the action, and is literally next door to the Water Ski Show

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank GeistGuy
Detroit Michigan
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Poor value!!!!
OK, I admit this is the second time I’ve stayed here, and it’s the second time I’ve been disappointed. Now admittedly, I use Hilton Honors points to stay, that’s the only thing carrying this hotel, their Hilton name. But their lack of amenities and poor attention to details makes it a very bad value in my opinion compared to other resorts in this area.
As an example, let’s start with our check-in. We arrived very early and I would understand that it was likely no rooms would be cleaned, but I asked anyway. The response was not to check the computer, or look at a housekeeping list, or a radio call to housekeeping. It was just, “no room available.” Now when we did check-in, we had requested a pack-and-play baby bed on our on-line reservation. It printed out on our confirmation, and my wife even talked directly to a Hilton reservation agent and verified this request. However, after I had shown up at the desk in the morning so they knew I was going to be back, they were unable to meet that request. This might be Hilton policy though, because out of all the times we’ve made this request at Hilton chain hotels, only once have they been able to accomplish this great task. I assume that makes it easier for them to give away my room type preference if they don’t have the pack-and-play sitting in the room.
Now, there are many details that good hotel properties can meet, but not this one. Little things like the soap dish in the shower. At this hotel it’s tipped away from the wall. What happens when you put a slippery bar of soap on this soap dish, yep it slides right into the tub. What workman thought that was a good idea? It’s called a “SOAP DISH”, what do they think it would be used for, a handle or step? Other stupid things like the hair conditioner provided by the hotel, have you ever been able to pour out conditioner? Not usually, so it’s normally in a squeezable bottle. Not at this hotel, it’s in a rigid plastic bottle, yep, go ahead and try to squeeze away, you’ll just crack the plastic bottle. And the lobby coffee station usually has coffee, tea, and hot chocolate right? Well you can hope that your kids (or wife) aren’t in the hot chocolate mood because this hotel doesn’t provide those packets of powder to add to your hot water to get your sugar fix in the morning (or make a poor man’s mocha). And the pack-and-play bed for our son, it was delivered, but we expected it would have a sheet or some type of covering. This hotel has apparently never heard that pack-and-plays have a fitted sheet with them, yet all of the Hampton Inns and other HGIs provide them.
One more poor housekeeping practice, at about 1:30pm I strolled down our hallway to find that 20% of the rooms had the security latch swung out to prop the doors open (and therefore completely unlocked). There wasn’t a single person or cart from housekeeping on the floor, yet all these doors were propped open because the rooms needed something. So if your watch, or laptop, or even favorite suitcase is on E-bay, it could be from Hilton’s housekeeping practices.
Their slogan is a good one too: “Satisfaction Promise. We promise to do whatever it takes to ensure you’re satisfied, or you don’t pay.” What I think they meant to say is, “We’re going to do things as cheaply as possible, but if you notice we’ll try to make it up to you.” If I were paying for a room, this is not the place to stay. At $220 per night, choose one of the specialty lodges in the area. These have many more amenities and better atmosphere. This property is a $100 per night place (in season) with a Hilton price tag that isn't justified.

Room Tip: Room that are free might be a good value.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ahess77
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Room 203.

Our last day of our stay, we found a bed bug. Google confirmed that's what we were looking at. Called down to the front desk. They assured us they would move us (we explained it was our last day, so no need) and that the room would be sealed off until a professional company could come in.

Went to breakfast downstairs (not at all bad, by the way!). The manager on duty was nice enough to comp 3 or 4 of our 7 breakfasts.

Upon returning to the room, we discovered housekeeping had been in and "cleaned" the room. Unfortunately, we knew that meant that the linens, towels, etc in this infested room were now in a laundry cart with other rooms' linens. And thus the bugs could spread.

We were a little taken aback that the manager on duty (they thought the actual hotel manager would be in before we left, but he/she was running a bit behind) said that while they'd like to refund some of our money for the room, since we pre-paid (we had three rooms reserved for the 7 of us and prepaid all three nights for all rooms) they weren't able to. Huh??? Because we gave you money ahead of time you can't find a way to compensate us?

We didn't think they would do anything more after comping the breakfasts, which was very kind of them, but this just seemed STRANGE.

The hotel is nice. I want to be able to stay there again, but housekeeping really needs to step it up. There were some crumbs that I noticed on the carpet of floor 2 that stayed there for 2 days-obviously either not vacuuming, or not vacuuming well. One day 2 of our three rooms weren't given clean cups, coffee or shampoos/conditioners.

I hesitate to even mention that one of our rooms had a bloody fingerprint on the outer door and on the wall by the bathroom. To give credit where credit is due, I called down to the front desk and someone was up with a spray bottle and rag within 3-4 minutes to clean it off. (I'll just assume that that rag went straight into the laundry).

So, there you have it. The Hilton Garden Inn is so close to being a really good hotel. I don't know if it's just because it's getting later in the season or what, but there's some pretty major kinks, mostly related to housekeeping and customer satisfaction, that need to be worked out.

Room Tip: DON'T choose 203 since we know it had bedbugs!!! Rooms we're pretty quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family