“Awesome experience....although pricey”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Lombard
“Awesome experience....although pricey”
Reviewed 2 November 2007

I have been to the Dells all of my life and have stayed almost everywhere there, including the regular Wilderness Hotel. But I have to say that this was the best room by far. My boyfriend and I stayed in the two bedroom condo on October 26 and October 27-a few weeks ago.

At first they sent us up to our room, but people were still in there cleaning so we weren't thrilled..but we waited only about 10 minutes...so it as OK. When we walked in the room, we were very excited to see just how much room there was for 2! It was very romantic to have a view with lake/trees and the jacuzzi was really nice and clean. The sun room is so pretty...and there are no shortage
of tv's there, although the CD player didn't work well and was kinda distorted sounding. The king bed in the master bedroom was very comfortable, but the queen beds in the other room were just OK.
We felt very comfortable there and it was very quiet except for a little boy decided to skateboard outside on the path back and forth in the morning below our room. The only real negative thing about this place is the check-in time is at 4:00pm and they told me on the phone that they were almost 100% sure we could get an early check in...but then that changed, and check-out is 11:00am..and when checking out we asked for an extended check-out, which they said would cost an extra $25 an an hour....that was pretty tracky considering downtown Chicago hotels give you a later check out and almost always accomdate an extended one.

The staff seemed a little pre-occupied as well....at times there was no-one there when we had a question..we had to wait for them to come almost out of hiding. The staff also does not seem to go out of their way to greet or answer questions.

But we would go back again...probably only in the fall/winter with the specials.....and because summer there has to be crazy with the families trying to cram-in as many people in one condo as possible.

Here's a tip for the MANAGEMENT: At the Kalahari there are signs that hang in the halls of the units that tell people to keep their voices down...you guys should try that.

ALSO: If there is room available, let people have the extended check-out...it's good for business and WORD travels fast.

• Liked — Tons of room!
  • Disliked — They're not very accomodating to guests.
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 24 October 2007

We have been going to Wilderness on the Lake for years, ever since it opened. At first, it was a relaxing luxurious experience, but over the years, the management of this property has deteriorated. The rooms are starting to show substantial wear and tear especially the kitchen supplies. In addition, the rooms, while not filthy, could be cleaner, especially since you have a kitchen in the room. We had dirt/crumbs on the kitchen floor and hair on the bathroom floors. The carpeting was very dirty since my boy's socks were black on the bottom.

This resort promotes this property as relaxing, but be warned that during peak times, you will be dealing with loud, noisy guests. Because the 2 and 3 bedroom condos sleep large numbers, there are large groups of families traveling together that jam as many people as they can into these condos to get their money's worth.

One of the reasons we liked to stay here was because they do not allow pets. We are allergic to pet dander and if we stay in a room that has had a dog or cat in it, we can be facing a medical emergency. On our last stay, there were guests that brought their dogs and had them right out in the open on the patio. I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager to let him/her know about this and the attendant at the desk would not get the manager, but simply asked me what the problem was and said she would take care of it. Well, the dogs were still there, barking the next morning and when I inquired what was being done, the desk clerk said they had sent security down to that area but couldn't locate the dogs! This is hard to believe, since she also told me that other guests had complained about barking. She took my cell phone number and said that the manager would call me. As might be expected, I never heard from him/her.

It is a shame, since the property is in a beautiful location and we always enjoyed swimming in the infinity pool overlooking the lake. I'm afraid though that this was our last stay here. We will definitely stay somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Location-view overlooking the lake is beautiful
  • Disliked — Inadequate response by management to complaints.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank caseys
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 15 October 2007

My family of 2 adults and a 6 year old stayed in a 2 Bedroom, 2 bathroom condo at Wilderness on the Lake for one night in early October, 2007. The condo was easily the nicest family resort we’ve stayed at in the Dells. At $150 per night, booked online through the resort’s website, it was an off-season steal.
Our unit, 122 on the ground floor, was very spacious and beautiful. The full kitchen had a microwave, dishwasher, and breakfast bar. There was also a small dining area beside the kitchen. The living room had a fireplace with TV above and sofa sleeper. The master bedroom had a king bed, 2 closets, and master bath with double shower. The master bedroom and living room opened onto the 4 season porch with 3 chairs, fireplace with TV above, and hot tub. The second bedroom had 2 queen beds and TV. A hall bathroom and washer/dryer combo were off the hall. The unit also had a rollaway bed and a crib in the closet. A total of 9 plus an infant could sleep in this unit, although I think I would upgrade to a 3 bedroom unit for that many people.
Since our unit was on the ground floor, it opened onto the patio with gas grills and fire pits. The patio furniture was put away and the outdoor infinity pool and waterpark were closed for the winter. There was also a dock and beach area on the lake directly in front of the resort.
Guests staying at WOTL have access to all Wilderness waterparks. There is a complimentary shuttle that takes guests between the properties. We were the only guests at the onsite indoor waterpark and there was plenty to keep our 6 year old busy. There were two separate areas – one large play area with slides, tunnels, and sprays to keep young kids busy and a separate pool with basketball hoops and a lily pad crossing. Older kids looking for large slides and adults looking for a hot tub will be disappointed, but there are always the parks at the Wilderness and the hot tub in your room. We have been to Glacier Canyon Lodge and the Wilderness waterparks before, so we didn’t venture out. We also didn’t want to drive over to the Wilderness in 50 degree rainy weather with our swimsuits.
I had three concerns about the condo and resort. First, the unit was very dark. Since the only windows are the two sliding doors in the four season porch, the back of the condo was very dark. There was plenty of lighting, but the second bedroom and bathroom felt like a cave. Second, the ground floor unit was good and bad. It was nice to walk out onto the patio, but we like to sleep with the windows open. Since the only windows are the two sliding doors, I wasn’t comfortable leaving the doors open all night. Last, the resort only has WiFi in the lobby, not in the rooms. Not a big deal if you don’t need internet access, but a pain if you need to work away from home.
We also spent the week at Great Wolf and Kalahari (see reviews for more info). We prefer the waterpark at Great Wolf and the overall theme of Kalahari, but really liked the condo at WOTL. For more of the same, try Sundara Inn and Spa for a couples getawa

• Liked — Gorgeous accommodations, great for families and couples
  • Disliked — Dark back bedroom and bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
xraylady
Reviewed 20 September 2007

This may be a "luxury" hotel but there service is not. This is more of a family luxury hotel. I stayed at this hotel with 9 other friends on the 4th floor in a "condo". The rules and regulations you have to sign before you even check in were ridiculous and also there was a $2,000.00 deposit, despite a credit card to rent the room. We were never told of this "$2,000.00 deposit" until we arrrived. Further more, they advertise that after the room is inspected and ok'd, your $2,000.00 is returned within 60 minutes of inspection. Here I am, 8 business days later waiting for my $1,000.00 to be returned on my credit card. (Our deposit was reduced because we were never told about it)
So basically, nice place, terrible service, not for adults more for families.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — TERRIBLE SERVICE
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank xraylady88
Peru, Illinois
Reviewed 10 September 2007

I planned a bachelorette party weekend at the Wilderness on the Lake for 9 girls from September 7th-9th. I called ahead for the reservation because I wanted to make sure I had exactly the room and anemities that I wanted. The booking agent was very nice and very helpful. She answered all of my questions. I also had to call back prior to the trip to add on more guests; the agent I spoke with then was also helpful and friendly. When we got there check-in was a breeze. 3 minutes tops and we were on the way to the room. We stayed in condo room 320: a 2 bedroom equipped for up to 9 people. It was amazing. 2 fireplaces, a hot tub that 4 of us fit comfortably in and enough sleeping space for everyone. The rollaway bed was already in the room and they also had extra bath and dish towels waiting. There was another party of 6 adults staying next door to us and neither party could hear the other through the walls....which is impressive because when you get 9 giggling girls together it is not quiet. Overall the room was a 10, perfectly clean dishes in the kitchen, super clean bathrooms, I can not find one thing to complain about in the room.
The infinity pool on the Wilderness on the Lake property is absolutely beautiful (see picture). We spent most of the day at Wilderness' water parks and then relaxed the afternoon away in the heated infinity pool with beautiful views of Lake Delton. There is an outdoor bar not 50 feet away and if you go inside a door there's a dining/concession area. Great convienence.
The water parks at the Wilderness are great. They have so much to do that it is not at all crowded. The lines for the slides were very short, we never waited over 5 minutes. We found that almost all of the water in the outdoor areas was very warm, probably heated. It was only between 75 and 80 with a breeze and it never felt cold in the outdoor pools and lazy rivers. I was also surprised of how few small kids were running around. Maybe it's because they were in school but we found that there were alot of young adults and teenagers enjoying time with their friends. Kids primarily stayed in the areas designated for them so if you are considering this for an adult get away, it really is a great time.
To get to the other side of the resort where the water parks were we took the water taxi. I really don't think most people knew about it. There was a huge group of people wating for the shuttle busses out front and one of the desk clerks suggested we take the water taxi. The dock is behind the resort down from the infinity pool. The pontoon boat was large enough for at least a dozen people and only took about 5 minutes. The view of the resort from the lake is great and made for some nice pictures. It took us right to the other side of the lake where a shuttle was waiting to give us a 2 minute ride to any water park we wanted.
We were really sad to leave but surprised to find that checking out took 30 seconds, literally. I gave the room number and keys and they said, thanks have a great day...that was it! Overall, I give Wilderness an A+ for customer service, quality and value. This was my first time at the Dells and I will definately be going back; and definately staying at Wilderness on the Lake!

• Liked — Great room and anemities for the price.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank livinglife247365
illinois
Reviewed 20 July 2007

My husband and I loved everything about the Wilderness On The Lake and our teenagers had a blast! It is a nice quiet place for the entire family and has magnificent views of the lake. We had a walk out 3 bedroom unit which was awesome. We spent a lot of time sitting outside and watching the lake activity. The private beach was also nice and fun to watch younger children with the ducks.

Pros:
Quiet
Very large rooms
Large full kitchen
Porch area with chairs, fireplace and hot tub
shuttle service was convenient, fast and friendly
staff was friendly
walking distance to several local resaurants and activities
lake views
beach
water shuttle
beautiful infinity pool
nice outdoor/indoor hot tub
Very Clean
nice lobby
and just about everything else!

cons;
miss my dog
no wood fires

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — no pets
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank nanners5
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2007

this was our second 4th of July at the wilderness on the lake. still a great place to stay for families. Rooms are spacious and clean. The resort was pretty full but most guests seem to go over to the other parks for the water parks. We have small children and the park at WOTL is more for younger kids. Always tough to find a cart to bring luggage in since they really seem to not allow check in till after 3:00PM. A year later will still recommend this place for families. hope they keep up the rooms, a little more wear from 06 to 07 seemed excessive.

• Liked — relaxing room and views on the water
  • Disliked — lack of service, this hotel is self sufficient, staff avg at best and not well staffed
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family