“Great family vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wilderness on the Lake

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wisconsin
“Great family vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

We will be back. This was a great family getaway. There are so many waterparks, both indoor and outdoor that the weather almost doesn't matter. Wilderness on the Lake is removed from the larger Wilderness complex, but the shuttle service made it easy to access other areas. The 2 bedroom condo was huge! It was great to have a "homebase" for little ones to nap, with a full kitchen so that we could eat in as needed to save money.

Room Tip: Pick a room further from the pool area if you don't want daytime noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank glstraveling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We returned to the Wilderness on the Lake for the third straight year in Sept., 2011.

We rented a two bedroom, two bath condo for four adults and a 4 year old. As before the furnishings were fine. The kitchen items along with the dinnerware and utensils were more than adequate. The kitchen appliances were in good working order. There were no surprises.

The waterpark in this building is great for children. The bigger park is in the main resort. I free shuttle bus is available to get one between the buildings.

No complaints. Everything was as expected. Pretty sure we'll go back in 2012.

Room Tip: Many types of rooms and accomodations to pick from. Condos to cabins to suites. All price ranges. Go...
Nottingham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed for two nights in early September,and we loved it. We had a two bed condo, and the accommodation was perfect for our family of five. It was so spacious, and comfortable. We had a view of the pool and lake beyond, which was lovely.
We loved having the full kitchen, and the washer/dryer was a bonus. Sitting in the whirlpool in the lanai room, just chillin', and watching TV was heaven.
We were not here long enough to make use of all of the facilities, and some of the outdoor waterparks were closing for the season, but we enjoyed the wave pool and the lazy river in the indoor waterparks. We will definitely be back one day to really take advantage of all that this resort has to offer.

Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We were looking for a condo to rent for a mid week to weekend stay. We seen Wilderness and discovered there Wilderness on the Lake portion of the property while browsing online. I had seen some not so great reviews and some great reviews. We thought why not give it a try as we had stayed at Great Wolf, and Kalahari in the past. We arrived about 1 PM knowing we could utilize the pools until the 4PM check in. The room was ready by 3 which was nice. We set out to Wal-Mart and picked up some groceries. Came back to the resort unloaded and started getting dinner prepped. Grilling out, was our plan. There was a bit of a line for the grills, no big deal. We finally got to use the grill and we were all set. We had headed off the infinity pool for an hour or two.

We came back to the room later, got settled in.... We rented the 3 bedroom loft. 2 rooms are actual bedrooms and 1 room is the loft. We woke up the next day and started planning our activities. We had a problem with our fridge, it didn't seem to get cold enough. We didn't have much in there as we were only staying 4 nights. I called the front desk to ask if maintenance to come up. "Brandi" the front desk associate said I'll send someone up right away, I said thanks. We waited everyone showered and got dressed. About an hour later still no maintenance person. I called back down, Brandi answers again. She says our maintenance guys our currently busy can they stop in later? I said yes we're taking off they can come in while we're gone.

We headed off to the main resort, utilizing the free pontoon ride accross the lake. We hit up all three waterparks. Wild West, Klondike Kavern, Wild Waterdome. The waterdome was cool as there was a huge wavepool. The Klondike seemed too geared towards the little ones. The Wild West was a perfect combination. I liked the "Black Hole" the best. After a day of waterparks we went back to the condo at Wilderness on the Lake. We found our refrigerator was still not working correctly. I called back down, no Brandi there... I asked for a manager, some guy named Eli acted like he was a "Manager" explained to me that maintenance had tried coming into the condo and fixing it but they couldn't for some reason. I said ok can someone come up now? Oh yes ser I will send someone right up. I waited for about 10-15 minutes.... Knock, Knock.... Ok maintenance man was there. His name was Bogie, real nice gentleman but he shouldn't be a maintenance man. He had a heavy polish accent and like to scratch his head and act like he knew what he was doing. He apologized that it wasn't working. He said he'd let the Manager on Duty know. The next day, yes we waited again Ryan called us. Hello I've been told that there is a broken fridge? Yes ser, I explained.

Whats the issue he asked, I explained the whole ordeal. Our milk went sour as it was just cold enough. He said well you could come down and buy some milk here at the Trappers Outpost. I was like are you serious? No free milk and a fixed fridge? Well ser I can have someone fix the fridge for you asap. No apologey from Ryan Pingel who manages the Wilderness on the Lake. The only person I found helpful was Nikki at the front desk. She wore glasses sometimes. Very nice gal, stay away from "Brandi" she references everything you say. Oh you've done that? So have I, I've even done it better. Eli was not a manager. Not even close. He was a food and beverage supervisor. I enjoyed the condo, minus the fridge issue. I gotta say despite all this we may come back. All in all, if your looking for a resort that has almost everything your family needs to do to have fun this is it. The Lake may be more appropiate for adults as it feels more retreat like.

Room Tip: Get a condo that is between the number 6-10 or 11-14. Whether its third or fourth floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jay W
Marshfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Once again, we had a fabulous time at The Wilderness! My children are 7 and 9, but we also had another family with us (ages 2-7), and the kids had a blast as usual.
We will be coming back in November for another family trip :)
Only "complaint" I had was there were very few pots and pans in the room to make dinner with, but we improvised and all was well in the end :)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

First of all, please try to book a room on the THIRD floor. I forgot this was a tripadvisor recommendation someone else made the year before when I investigated, and I ended up with a room on the second floor. It wasn't bad, but the view of Lake Delton from the third floor is much better. Nikki (front desk) was simply the best. She had one other room available and let us look at it to see if we liked it better. Very accommodating. Overall, I love WOTL. I have had two very positive experiences there 2 years in a row. The staff is very nice, the condos are very clean and I love that you can grill outside at your leisure. I wish there was more of a little walking path around so you could take a little after dinner stroll, but there really isn't much of one. As for the resort overall, some of the water play areas could use a little updating, they need a little makeover.

Room Tip: On the third floor, away from the main entrance to the floor...a little foot traffic therefore a lit...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank vampiramariposa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

The reviews were so luke warm, our expectations weren't high, but this was a REALLY nice vacation. The 2 bedroom condo was spacious, well laid out, well equipped and very cozy. We loved grilling and eating dinner out on the large shared patio with fun music and great views. The infinity pool was terrific & Cubby Cove was great for our 6 year old. Loved the "swirl pool" - shuttles & water taxis to the other Wilderness properties was friendly and efficient. Sitting in the hot tub on our lanai with a fire going was really relaxing. Maybe this hotel is under renovation because our room was definitely recently done. Very clean & comfortable. One note, there is NO service whatsoever on the rooms. They say they remove trash & replace towels each day, but that's not true. You're really on your own. Also, bring your own pan... the ones they have are very difficult to cook with. Overall, very comfortable & nice. Great stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles