“Great place for the smaller ones”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Yorkville, Illinois
“Great place for the smaller ones”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We brought our 3 year old grandson here and just had a blast. It is designed for smaller kids, that's the beauty of it. Our room was bigger than some apartments, clean, and great views.
This is a great place to stay on your Dells vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RichChicago_IL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We greatly enjoyed our visit to the Wilderness on the Lake. What a beautiful condo! We stayed with another family and had plenty of space for everyone in the two bedroom condo. The Wilderness on the Lake is not on the main propoerty, but shuttle buses come by fairly regularly. The benefit of this was a much quieter stay than the main hotel (which I have stayed at in the past). Wisconsin Dells is a great getaway destination- we are fortunate to live only 2 hours away and visit often. Our trip to Wilderness on the Lake was our favorite in all our visits.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
North Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Wilderness on the lake is a great place to stay. Where else can you be in a jacuzzi in your room with the fireplace on overlooking a lake!! If you are looking for a good night sleep they have that too. It is like you are in a cave at night it is sooo dark. I like that!! It might be a little tricky if you need to get up and use the bathroom the hairdryer light in the bathroom does not give out that much light to help guide you. I really do not like children so coming Sunday to Wednesday was good. Not a lot of running and screaming kids around. Plenty of things to do here and they have shuttles to the other properties and restaurants. It is nice to park you car and not really have to worry about getting around. I was able to get a good wi-fi connection on my Ipod Touch and that does not happen in my house.

Room Tip: Ask for room 318
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Salem, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Although this place was much larger then my husband and I needed, I totally loved it. The porch area was my favorite place to curl up with my book with the fireplace going. The view was very nice over looking the lake. My only complaint was the wi-fi connection. I really needed to do a little work in the mornings and unfortunately couldn't stay connected long enough to do much of anything. Wasn't really in my plans to get up every morning and go to McDonald's for the Wi-fi, but what can you say?

Room Tip: If you want to be able to walk out onto the patio, ask for the lowest level rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
WI
Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a very clean cabin. Very pleased. Went with two other couples and kids ages 12-17. Went the day after Easter. Place was packed as we fully expected. BUT we could not enjoy any hottub. They were jam packed with little kids using this as a pool. Parents need to take responsibility for their kids but there should be staff monitoring this as well. We did do some fun slides with the kids; but lets face it. Teens want to be with friends. It would be great to see an adult only or even ages 14 and up hot tubs. There was no where for us adults to go and relax without watching dirty diaper changes and getting kicked and splashed in a hot tub.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank sickofwinter07
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

This place was just spotless. The room was huge. It was a little on the expensive side because of the spring break weekend but it was completely worth it. We did deal with an annoying neighbor complaining about to much noise and we were waking up their kids ...please, we had kids sleeping in our room too they were fine. Everything is far in the resort so prepare to walk. I stayed in the carribean resort which was garbage compaird to the wilderness. I will be coming back again for sure.

• Stayed March 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My overall opinion of this property is that it is impressive. Seems well run, and it is massive. I can't imagine how many people they must employ. They offer great spring-break weekday deals which is what brought us to Wisconsin Dells this time.

We arrived around 11:15 AM on a Monday for our two-night stay. Check-in is at 4:00, but you may begin using the waterpark at 11:00 on the day of your arrival. Fortunately our room was ready so we were able to move-in right away. The staff was friendly and efficient.

Following the advice of other TA reviewers, I asked for and received a room on the top floor. I usually do this anyway because I don't want to risk having stomping upstairs neighbors, but here if you're on the second floor, you will have a constant stream of traffic outside your door during the day because this is the main floor to access all the waterparks. When people are talking in the hallway, you can hear it pretty easily through the door.

The room was okay for what it was. It's not supposed to be The Ritz, and would NOT be good for a romantic getaway for couples. It is very family-friendly though. We booked a Double Queen Suite with a wet-bar. The room was nice and clean. The beds were passable and the couch in the sitting area was somewhat comfortable. We wanted the wet-bar because we packed our own food and figured it would be helpful to have the bar and sink; it was (made shredded beef in a crockpot and plugged it in on the bar. That worked great and was easy to serve on buns). The fridge in the room was pretty good-sized. I easily fit a case of pop, 12-pack of beer, a couple gallon jugs and handful of medium-sized containers without too much trouble.

I'm glad we packed our food because the restaurants were pretty expensive. Margarita's, for example were $9.00! We did enjoy some 2-for-1 drinks during the 2-4 PM happy-hour at Survivor's Bar and Grill by the Wild Waterdome.

We had a room with a door to an adjoining room. We could easily hear it when our neighbors arrived. I don't know about the walls, but the doors were not well soundproofed. I wore earplugs at night. One night I fell asleep without them and was awakened at 1:45 AM by loud talking in the hallway. It was very cold overnight while we were there with lows in the single-digits farenheit. I kept my crock-pot on the balcony overnight to save fridge and cooler space. When I woke in the morning and pulled the thick, heavy curtains back, the sliding patio door (being isolated from the heat in the room) was frozen shut. I called guest services and had a maintenance man there within ten minutes. The patio door was opened within five minutes.

The waterparks here are the real stars of the place. There are three indoor waterparks with differing themes and activities. We enjoyed all three. You will walk A LOT going from park to park, so keep that in mind if that might be a problem for you, but we did not mind at all.

In my opinion, the best ride here is The Hurricane in Klondike Kavern. This may be the most thrilling water-ride I have ever been on. It is a four-person raft ride. The more weight you have on the raft, the more thrilling it will be. After a slowly accelerating journey through a twisting tunnel, you come to a sudden steep drop into something like a sideways funnel. You slide in and then up the opposite wall seemingly about three stories high going a bit PAST vertical! I was not expecting that; what a rush! We had about 450 lbs on our raft. We went on this ride twice; on the second day (a Tuesday), there was a problem with the raft conveyor and it took about 40 minutes to get on the ride.

I would definitely stay here again if the price was right. If your expectations are reasonable, you should be satisfied with your stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family