“Cannot Wait to go Back!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Frankfort, Illinois, United States
“Cannot Wait to go Back!”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Our family went here last summer and it was amazing. We stayed for two nights and three days and the amount of activities and options included in the reasonable price was pretty substantial. My daughter loved all the options for water slides and there was something there for EVERY age group... including me and my wife.

The staff was professional and friendly and the food and bar choices were seemingly endless.

The location is also pretty convenient as it is close to many restaurants and outside activities which was nice to have available to us, however we mainly stayed on the premises.

I really liked the way the hotels and parks were all connected. The rooms were extremely clean and quiet and I can't wait to book another trip to the Wilderness!

Room Tip: We only stayed in one room but they all seemed pretty similar.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bill K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
gh1979
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

I LOVED this hotel. We stayed in 207 two bedroom condo and it was perfect! Better than I thought it would be by far. The park on site was great for my almost two year old. If I had teens who wanted thrills I wouldn't want the trek to the main hotel. Also infinity pool is great and water temp perfect. My only complaint would be the screened in balcony with whirlpool tub was so nice to drink
coffee on while looking out in lake I drank way too much coffee :)

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank gh1979
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay in a 3 bedroom lake cabin. This would be our 4th stay at the Wilderness Territory, however, the first at Wilderness on the Lake. The room itself was very nice, roomy, and perfect for our group of 5 adults, two 7 year olds, a three year old and a two year old.

We stayed in room 106. At first, I was extremely disappointed that this room was located on the first floor (one floor DOWN from the main entrance!), but I was pleasantly surprised. The room still had an incredible view of the lake, PLUS it had an additional outside seating area complete with table and canopy. Apparently, only the first floor rooms have this additional space (in addition to the lanai). It was also the perfect distance to the grilling/outdoor fire area, private beach, water taxis, everything. I may ALWAYS request this room.

The rooms themselves were spacious. I was worried about the single queen room, however, it was a nicely sized room. The pillows were atrocious (very hard), but that is a matter of personal preference.

The "condo" was missing some of the amenities I am used to in other "condos." There was no compendium, which accounted for a number of calls to the front desk that could have been avoided had there just been a compendium in the room. There was also no dish washer detergent, or laundry soap in the room. Disappointing.

I must note that we did get to the hotel earlier than their stated check in time (4pm) and while our room wasn't ready, we were able to make our way to the water park area in the hotel and utilize it while we waited. Great plus!

The staff was very helpful and pleasant for the duration of our stay. Even the reservations staff were patient and understanding while I hem and hawed about the room type, views, etc while booking. There was only person we encountered that was less than stellar and that was the shuttle bus driver that seemed to get up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Overall, great stay and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Our Girl Scout troop picked the Dells for our end of the year trip and the Wilderness on the Lake (WOTL) was the perfect option for us. We loved the full kitchen and room options for all the girls. There were 8 of us total and the room was plenty big for us. We utilized each of the 4 outdoor water parks during our stay and their favorites were the Wild Water Dome (wave pool) and the Klondike Kavern. A couple of the girls really enjoyed the Wild West Waterpark (water slides) but the majority found it better suited for younger kids. The Wild West also has bumper boats but there was an additional cost of $4 per person. They spent a good deal of time in the indoor/outdoor hot tubs in each waterpark. Cubby's Cove is actually located in the WOTL building. It is better suited for younger children although our 12 year olds were able to entertain themselves in the hot tub and basketball pool.

We used the shuttle for all of our ventures out of the room. Each hotel complex has a different color line. WOTL is blue. The blue line will take you to either the Klondike Kavern (with easy walk to the Wild WaterDome Waterpark) and Wild West Lobby. We were told shuttles run every 15-20 minutes but we found them coming more frequently during peak times.
There were a couple of small issues with the room we stayed in. (226) There is a hole in the wall in the 2nd bedroom and the toilet in the 2nd bathroom was also slow to flush when we arrived. On the 2nd day of our stay we did need to plunge it as it was backed up. I would also recommend running the dishwasher when leaving the building as it is loud. The appliances are full size and very clean. As was the entire room. I did like that they have a crib and rollaway bed right in the room although if using the pull out couch and rollaway bed, you would need additional blankets. We had a couple of girls bring their own pillows or we may have needed those, too.

One change from the last time we stay at the Wilderness is their towel policy. At check in, we were given 10 Pool Towel cards. Upon departure from the hotel, you need to either leave 10 towels or cards in your room. Any missing would result in a $25 fee assessed to your room. If you choose to utilize the pool area after check out, you can turn in your towels/cards at any of the pools. We were asked to right down our hotel and room number and the number of towels/cards being returned. The whole weekend, we carefully counted towels before going anywhere only to have the girl throw them in the to be washed tub without even counting them. I wonder if they are actually counted in the room but at $25 per towel, I wouldn't want to take that chance. Wet towels can be exchanged at any pool or any hotel lobby.

While driving to the property, we missed the Wisconsin Dells Parkway S (Hwy 12) turn onto Wisconsin Dells Parkway (Hwy12/23) while coming from exit 92. From the main Wilderness location, WOTL is 1.6 miles. Head south on east Adams St. Turn right onto Wisconsin Dells Parkway S (Hwy 12), go .5 miles. Turn right onto Wisconsin Dells Parkway (Hwy 12/23), go .7 miles and Turn right onto E Hiawatha (Sprecher's Restaurant & Pub will be on the right hand side), go .4 miles. WOTL is on your right.

Overall it was a great stay. I would recommend it for Scout troops/friends/multiple familes!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jennifer H
Yorkville, Illinois
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We brought our 3 year old grandson here and just had a blast. It is designed for smaller kids, that's the beauty of it. Our room was bigger than some apartments, clean, and great views.
This is a great place to stay on your Dells vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RichChicago_IL
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We greatly enjoyed our visit to the Wilderness on the Lake. What a beautiful condo! We stayed with another family and had plenty of space for everyone in the two bedroom condo. The Wilderness on the Lake is not on the main propoerty, but shuttle buses come by fairly regularly. The benefit of this was a much quieter stay than the main hotel (which I have stayed at in the past). Wisconsin Dells is a great getaway destination- we are fortunate to live only 2 hours away and visit often. Our trip to Wilderness on the Lake was our favorite in all our visits.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
North Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Wilderness on the lake is a great place to stay. Where else can you be in a jacuzzi in your room with the fireplace on overlooking a lake!! If you are looking for a good night sleep they have that too. It is like you are in a cave at night it is sooo dark. I like that!! It might be a little tricky if you need to get up and use the bathroom the hairdryer light in the bathroom does not give out that much light to help guide you. I really do not like children so coming Sunday to Wednesday was good. Not a lot of running and screaming kids around. Plenty of things to do here and they have shuttles to the other properties and restaurants. It is nice to park you car and not really have to worry about getting around. I was able to get a good wi-fi connection on my Ipod Touch and that does not happen in my house.

Room Tip: Ask for room 318
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family