“Lakeside with water park included”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a pretty neat place to stay. The girls said it was beautiful with the lake right off the pool and view of the hills, trees, and wildlife (ducks). Golf course was decent for the price and attitude of the proshop. I play a lot, and have played a lot of different courses. You really feel like just another wallet in the Wild Rock Golf Course club house. However it is a good course. If you want to just relax, have a beer, be social, and play some golf, then maybe it’s not worth the price.

I rated service Very Good because the staff was all very nice, concerned, and clean appearance. They were friendly, but professional and seemed like they appreciated the work they were doing.

The value was also very good. We stayed in a really comfortable room that included waterpark passes to the Wilderness. There was plenty of stuff for the entire family to do. I rated the overall value at Average, since I felt like they gouge you for the cost of average food and drinks at the Wilderness Waterpark.

Sleep Quality was great. Beds were comfortable and clean. Ceiling fans helped regulate temp.

Cleanliness: The room was very clean except the floor area around the kitchen. We noticed the floor was sticky here. In their defense... This would be difficult for room service to notice since we only realized while walking barefoot through the area.

Location: I liked the location but it was a really nice place on the lake. Kind of felt like you were out away from the busy tourist area while you were at your condo. However, just outside the parking lot the busy tourist area starts! Not necessarily a good or bad thing. Note the Wilderness on the Lake properties are not located on the Wilderness Waterpark grounds. You need to either take a ferry across the lake then a short shuttle ride to your park of choice or drive through part of town and park on the grounds.

Rooms: I thought the rooms were great. We shared a large condo with another family. Our families are really good friends so even with four adults, and four kids under ten we all felt really comfortable. Two bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen, living room, and a bonus room with a fire place and additional flat screen TV. Ceiling fans in most rooms work great!

Restaurants: I didn’t particularly like the food at the Wilderness waterpark resort. I would have gone off resort for every meal that we didn’t prepare ourselves, but the rest of the family didn’t mind the food and preferred the convenience. The dad in the other family staying with us agreed. I’m kind of a picky eater and cringe at the unexpected texture or taste. Everyone else thought the food was pretty decent so I rated Restaurants: Average. That rating would be very good if it only rate Field’s Steak House and Sarento’s pizza. Both places are really good!

I didn’t rate room service, since it’s a condo we didn’t have much for room service but they did bring in clean towels daily!

Room Tip: I tried to get a pool side room, but they don’t have any rooms with that feature. Have to drive ab...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cwick22

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Just came back from a weekend getaway at WOTL and I must say we all had a great time. Our group of 4 adults and 5 kids stayed in one of the 2 bedroom condos and there was more than enough room. We arrived in the evening and check in was smooth with no issues and upon entering the condo was pleasantly surprised by the space and how nice it was. The full kitchen definitely came in handy as we were able to cook meals whenever we were hungry and housekeeping was nice enough to bring us extra towels and picked up our garbage daily. The water park in the hotel was great for the little ones however we enjoyed taking the water taxi to the main hotel and enjoyed the waterparks there. There was minimal wait time for both the water taxi and the shuttle and the staff was also kind enough to take our group to the waterpark on their golf carts. All of us enjoyed our stay for the weekend and wished it could have been longer. We plan to come back next year and stay at WOTL again.

1  Thank MsToya S
Reviewed 26 August 2013

this place has it all, multiple indoor and outdoor water parks with plenty of rides to choose from, restaurants, arcades, zip lines. almost too much to pick from! definitely family friendly and worth the price.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Mike V
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We visited the WOTL the week of Aug 18th. We were impressed with the quick and easy check-in, compared to the lengthy check-ins we've experienced at other waterpark hotels. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo, which was perfect for our family of 5. I absolutely LOVED the spaciousness! The full kitchen was great! Considering it cost about $60-$70 per meal to eat out, having a kitchen to use saved us a great deal of money. We ate 2/3 meals in the room.

The waterpark on the lake was smaller, but was perfect for our 3 little boys. They especially loved the infinity pool and whirlpool outside. The view of the lake was gorgeous in the 3 season room, so make sure you ask for a room with a lake view. We chose to drive to the other Wilderness waterparks, but there were water taxis available that left about every 15 minutes if we didn't want to drive. There were also shuttle buses available. We thought it was easier to drive so we didn't have to wait around, but it was nice that these options were available. The other waterparks on the campus were great! We spent 5 out of 6 days doing activities and playing at these parks. The lifeguards were very friendly, especially when compared to the rude, bored, life guards we experienced at Noah's Ark. Save yourself some money, and don't even bother going to Noah's Ark.
I also noticed that some of the other reviews gave the front desk staff negative reviews. We had a great experience with them, no problems at all.
Also, these condos are privately owned, and it is posted in the kitchen that they are not cleaned everyday, unless you specifically ask for it. That was ok with us. There was a vacuum cleaner, broom and dust pan.... we could handle it ourselves for a few days. They did come by every morning and take out our trash and replace our towels.
The other thing that I appreciated was the washer and dryer in our room. With 3 boys, things get dirty, this was a great help!
The only negative comment I would make would be about the "information desk". The information desk people are employed by Wyndam Hotels, and will try to sell you a time share located on the property. When you check in, you're given a sheet that tells you to stop at the information desk (which is different than the check-in desk) to pick up your free coupon book. We got lost on the campus (it's that big) and stopped at the information desk at one of the other Wilderness hotels. We asked the gentleman where a specific waterpark was. My entire family was standing there, with our bathing suits on, my 3 year old was crying and just wanted to go swimming. Anyway, the guy pulled out a map, showed us some of the waterparks available, then proceeded to go into his sales pitch about the time shares. We were OBVIOUSLY not good prospects, a family with their bathing suits on, standing in a hotel lobby, lost, with a crying child......but that didn't stop him. As soon as he started with, "Normally, we charge $50 to let you even step foot in one of these, but for today only, I'll give you a $100 preloaded American Express card just to go take a look." I told him we weren't interested. He was rude and arrogant, and asked, "Why aren't you interested?" three times!!!! I finally said, "I'm not interested, just hand me the map and the coupon book, I'm leaving!" So.....steer clear of the "information desk" and just ask the front desk staff if you get lost. The free coupon book isn't worth your time. We never even used it.
So, with the exception of the information desk episode, our stay was amazing. Our boys had a great time, and didn't want to leave. We will definitely be back again!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
4  Thank Danna J
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We came with out two daughters who are in there teens. We usually have stayed at the main resort, but were so happy we chose to stay here. The 2 bedroom unit was extremely spacious. Two of our kids pulled the mattress off the sofa and slept in the 4 season room for all the nights. Rooms were very clean and furniture was nice and rustic. Only complaint was the pillows were horribly uncomfortable. Our kids took the pontoon boat across the lake to the pick up for the waterparks and came back later in the afternoon. Nice place to stay if you want to be away from all the kids running around crazy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view. All rooms have view of the lake but some have an obstructed view.
2  Thank shapeup4
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

The only thing that bugged us was the cleaning staff, who walk in whether the door be opened or locked without knocking early in the morning. They claimed that they needed to change the dirty towels but they failed to do that, instead they walked in to rooms where people were still asleep. I don't recall asking for a wake up call. . .

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank farycake
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have stayed at the Wilderness villas and hotel before so this time we thought we would try the one on the lake. WRONG MOVE !!!!!!!!!
The service is bad, and no one cares. We had some issues and we asked to talked to the manager and the front desk (guest services) told me and my husband that we could not speak to a manager. That the manager was at the other hotel and they don't come to this one because it is smaller. So we went to the other hotel and they were not available until the next morning at our hotel, well guess what it's 2 in the afternoon and they aren't here so I called and they said that the manager isn't available until the weekend.
For what we paid you would think some one would are wrong!
So a lot of money and no service don,t stay here you will regret it.
And proof is they won't respond to this review or do anything about it.
Stephanie and. Family from Shoreview Minnesota