“Great family oriented resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness on the Lake
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed in Wilderness on the Lake in the end of July 2014 in two-bedroom condo. So far we were very impressed with the Wilderness resort, as everything looked kind of upscale - for the Dells. I don't have a lot of experience with Dells, but I got an impression that Wilderness was indeed the nicest resort in the area.

I think Wilderness on the Lake - by our family personal preferences - is the best place to stay of all the resort: away from the crowds, lots of space in the condo, separate bedrooms (for me and my husband one bedroom with king bed, and another bedroom with two queens for my mother and for our 15 y.o. daughter). There is plenty of closet space, two fireplaces, huge bathrooms, well equipped full kitchen. We all enjoyed the Jacuzzi too. Though the condo was pretty dark - because of the way condos are set up - to provide as much lake view as possible. They probably should add more lamps - to make the place more appealing.

I think Wilderness on the Lake has the best outdoor pool! It overlooks the lake, and we were just fascinated with it. There is also bar next to the swimming pool (pretty pricey though). The only my complaint about the pool - that they would close it early, and it would stay closed till 9 a.m. in the morning. So there was not possible to get there romantically early in the morning, before the crowds. I guess it was because they didn't want to keep it opened unless there was lifeguard on duty?

There is also indoor waterpark and children's outdoor water play area. But my 15 y.o. was not involved with them :))) So I can't comment on that.

But we used the waterparks in the main resort, and they were very nice! You can't of course compare slides to Black Anaconda. But the slides still were fun even for adults. One was even kind of exciting - the Hurricane one.

I read in the reviews some concerns about lifeguards and safety. I didn't notice any problems. Though we were basically all adults, and all swim pretty well. But once we were waiting for the slide, and there was a boy about 4 y.o. - all by himself - on the slippery steps carrying a tub. All the sudden he decided to go back, and fell on the steps, rolling all over the steps. I ran right to him, and next moment there was a lifeguard next to the boy, with the first aid kit. But I was really wondering about the parents of this boy. Hope they are not going to complain about the park lifeguards! Who would let a kid of that age to climb this huge slide by himself? Where were those parents at all?!

We also did the resort's Zip Line tour, and we loved it. Even my 68 y.o. mom :)))

We didn't use resort's dining facilities that much, but the only one we used - the food was very average. When we needed to eat, we would drive or walk out of the resort, everything was so close. Or we were just using our groceries.

There is great breakfast in Hilton Garden Inn just 5 minutes’ walk from Wilderness on the Lake - great food, and only 10 dollars. Next to Hilton there is Specher's. So literally you don't even need to drive to go eat.

So far - we greatly enjoyed our stay, and I would highly recommend this resort for a family vacation.

Room Tip: Our room was on the right from the lobby, and had decent lake view.
1  Thank ItsmeJoie

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My family has frequented the Wisconsin Dells for vacations for years, for multiple reasons: 1. It's far enough away that we feel like we're getting out of town, but not so far that it eats up too much vacation time for travelling to and from. 2. It's naturally beautiful. 3. well-planned water parks for parents and children. 4. Affordability.

The Wilderness on the Lake does all of these things, and is a perfect balance for parents and kids. We have probably stayed at the Dells 6-7 times, and at the Wilderness at the Lake for the last 3 stays, at least.

The rooms are immaculate and luxurious, as well as fun and interesting in decor. It has a very woodsy theme. I highly recommend a hot-tub condo, as the tub is out on the screened four-season balcony, which is also equipped with a warm fireplace and TV, with a woodsy view of the lake. Perfect after a long day at the pools.

The indoor and outdoor water parks provide lots of entertainment for kids of all ages, and are laid out expertly, so that parents may step back and not have to hover over their kids at all times. Lifeguards are ample and well-trained. Visibility of your child is easy from most places, and the added convenience of a bar and snack shack makes it relaxing for the adults too. A major perk is the shuttle to and from the other Wilderness location, where you have unlimited access to the resort's other water parks.

The beach is small, but easy to access, and well kept. My kids have as much fun there watching the geese and ducks, sometimes a jumping fish. There are ample grills on the patio if you wish to barbecue.

My kids also enjoy the small arcade and 3-D mini-golf. The mini-golf course probably needs updating, and it's not that impressive, but the very reasonable cost of admission makes it a fun way to mix up my family activities nonetheless.

The resort is centrally located and in very close proximity to other restaurants and attractions, but nestled in the woods enough to make it feel quieter and more remote, which I love.

The infinity pool deserves its own paragraph. Perfectly relaxing, and deep enough that you can swim a bit if there isn't too much of a crowd. The view of the lake from the edge of the pool is serene and it can be fun to watch the boats go by.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank connoisseur2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our father-in-law got a 3 bedroom condo off of ebay for $900 for three nights. Definitely a bargin. The condo was very nice and there is a TON of things to do on this property. The highlight of our stay was taking a 5 minute ferry to the private water park off of the property that is only for Wilderness guests. It had a children's play area inside and outside along with an infinity pool that had a beautiful view of the river. Gorgeous. There is a bar there, too, so it is perfect for families and adults. The water inside and outside was incredibly warm! Most of the time when we go to a hotel with a water park or a pool we expect to freeze when we get in the water--this was one of the rare places that you could jump right in and not expect hypothermia. I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room that is not located in a hallway that can get to a water park...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Wilderness on the Lake, which is one of the many options for lodging at the Wilderness Resort in Wisconsin Dells. We stayed in a two bedroom suite with a nice kitchen and living area. With this room, and all at the wilderness I believe, you get waterpark passes included which is nice if you have kids. The Wilderness on the Lake of at the other end of the property from the waterparks of the Wilderness. So if you need close proximity to those, I would try and stay in the hotel itself or at the condos. However, Wilderness on the Lake is located right on Lake Delton and has some great views. It also has an extremely large outdoor pool area, including a hot tub, bar and kid pool/play area. There is also an indoor pool area for guests of the Wilderness on the Lake which does include some minor waterpark-like thrills for kids (no big slides or anything, just stuff to climb on etc.) as well as a small arcade.

It is much more economical to stay in the WIlderness on the Lake, compared to a condo and they do make it fairly easy to get back to the main Waterpark/Arcade area by using shuttles. They even have a cool water taxi that takes you across lake delton and right to a shuttle which then takes you to the main waterpark/arcade areas.

I would recommend Wilderness on the Lake for families as well as couples looking for a little more laid back environment.

1  Thank Tom L
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We just stayed at the wilderness on the lake with my two children and two senior parents. I specifically chose this resort because my parents are not able to participate in the water parks and I thought this would be a lovely spot for them to enjoy while my kids and I played. I know view doesn't matter for some, but it is the reason I chose this location. I feel their web site is quite deceptive when booking a condo here. The photo shows the front of the hotel and it looks like every room would have a lake view (much like some ocean front condos where all units face the ocean.) The inside room shots also show balconies with view. What I didn't realize was that there was a side wing of the hotel which they don't show, which is where our room was. We had no view at all and were on the first floor on a patio level. There were no options to choose from when booking (again, usually you can pay more for a view) which is another reason I had assumed the photos would representative of the real rooms. This was an expensive night especially because two of the five were not using the water parks. I had hoped that this would be a special treat for my parents, and the fact that the room had no view at all, and that the web site representation of the room was not truly what we received, was such a disappointment.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jeanne K
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We went with another family to this resort. We had five children along so it was actually a great spot with the ability to make our own food and the water park passes, to the entire resorts water parks included, a great perk! The kids loved it. We enjoyed being right on the lake and the large patio with grills and furniture to relax on.

We did stay with another family. I would definitely come back with my own little family so we could spread out more and have our own "time". This is a great resort. The water parks were very enjoyable for all sizes of children and adults. A load of restaurants if you wanted to go that route also. I would recommend you stay and check it out for yourself!

2  Thank sandysisland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The room was exceptionally clean and the view it wonderful! I love that you can sit at the pool and relax and then take the boat over to the territory to do the wave pool and slides! Love that it is away from the craziness and so relaxing!!! PERFECT PLACE TO STAY!!!

3  Thank familyfun528