“Bring some bug spray and your own towels!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tamarack & Mirror Lake, a Festiva Resort

Tamarack & Mirror Lake, a Festiva Resort
Ranked #30 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Bring some bug spray and your own towels!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I bought a 2 bedroom Groupon for this property for $300.00 for 4 nights. The condo was ok. They have little tv's, beetles bugs,stink bugs,box elder bugs,and very old towels. I called the front desk and the maintenance guy came with a vacuum cleaner to get them up. After they came 3 different times with a vacuum cleaner and that didn't work. I just stayed gone all day and came back to the room when it was time to go to sleep. The manager didn't even try to compensate me in no kind of way. She said the only thing she could do is move me to another room which might have the same problem. If I didn't have the kids with me I would have left on the first day. I will not be back!

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Jacquelyn C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

My family and I ended up staying here with a Groupon deal. We had the 3 nights in a one bedroom for $219 bargain. The place is well worth the bottom-dollar discount. My one sentence summary of the property: average Wisconsin Dells accommodations off the main strip, with a good service staff but dated units. They also offer discounted tickets to Kalahari and local restaurants- a nice perk.

This location is one exit north of the main Wisconsin Dells strip. I personally don't care much for the kitschy Wis Dells vibe, and all the tourist trap stuff turns me off. My kids, however, love water parks and everything Wisconsin Dells has to offer. This place was a nice middle ground for us. The staff at the front desk are so friendly- it's really pleasant to experience that Wisconsin hospitality. The proof they were genuinely nice? They remembered my kids the next day when we stopped in to buy discounted water park tickets.

Condo unit was OK. We had a fully furnished kitchen/one bedroom unit. The bedroom was decent, the sofa sleeper in the living room needs to be replaced. It was flat as a pancake and you could feel every wire in the mattress. The overall furnishings were pretty basic, but they served our purposes as a family with young kids just fine. The property is pretty cool- there's a lakefront, playground, indoor and outdoor pools, and a workout room.

Overall? I'd definitely recommend for anyone with a family if you want to get away from the Water Park scene at night. The condos are clean, well maintained, and comfortable, if a bit dated. I would certainly come and stay here again next time I am in the Dells.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Matt G
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Original review:
We have been there numerous times, but the activity center is a mess. The tennis courts are filthy and used for storage. Most of the lights don't work on one tennis court. Water leaks into one corner. The locker rooms are cold in the winter. No soap dishes in the showers? Really? There aren't enough full-sized lockers for our clothes. They put the lockers near an outside door where people can see us dressing. Since no one in management or maintenance uses the facilities, they have no idea what it is like for us. The front desk doesn't pass on information, so nothing is improved.

These aren't big money issues. The place could be much better with a better maintenance staff that is accessable to guests. We never see the manager. Shouldn't she be mixing with guests to see how things are going?

Updated review:
Credit where credit is due. Since my January review, improvements have been made. The tennis courts seem to be on a regular cleaning schedule and are clean. They finally repaired all of the lights on the main playing court which is a huge improvement. Thank you.
There are still only two full-sized lockers in the men's locker room, so if two other adults are swimming or working out, you are out of luck. The showers still lack soap dishes. One member brought a shower rack for us to use, but maintenance keeps taking it down for some reason. The outside door to the locker room remains a problem.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jeff S
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Our first time. Really enjoyed all the Activity Center's indoor amenities: swimming, hot tub, tennis courts, racquet ball court, fitness area, children's play area & game room. The fitness area has bikes, treadmills, ellipses, and weights with multiple TVs for personal viewing. The Center also rents inexpensive DVDs. Staff are friendly and the lobby area is great for relaxing, watching TV, reading their USA Today papers or using their free wifi to computers. Nice comfy couch and chairs to lounge on with nice gas fireplace (I'm here now writing this review). Our room is also great-loved the gas fireplace. When it snowed one morning they were out immediately shoveling our side walk. And of course the location is great. You're close but outside all the busy touristy area of town. We'll definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank phylgary
Saint Charles, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

My family and I just stayed at the Tamarack and we had a great time. While the decor in our unit was a little outdated everything was very clean and nice. The staff was very friendly and the activity center is excellent. They had a kids pool that was only a little over a foot deep at it's deepest and my 2 year old had a blast in it. We stayed in the winter so we couldn't enjoy the outdoor activities, but it looked like there was plenty to do. Also it was right next door to the Walmart which was very convent for getting stocked up for the week. We actually stayed through a 3rd party and were not aware of this till we arrived and was told that they had cribs available for us. Because we stayed through a 3rd party they were not supposed to provide us with a crib, but after very little asking the staff sent over a crib anyway (which they did not have to do). Everyone was very friendly and we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Derek S
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We scheduled a last minute trip in February, and found an excellent deal at Tamarack. My husband and I found the gals at the front desk very warm and friendly, and the villa clean, very nice, and very quiet. The kitchen was very tidy and nicely organized. The fancy folds on the bathroom towels were lovely. The furnishings were very nice, quality, contemporary and tasteful, and did not feel at all like a typical hotel room would feel. Pretty view from our sliding glass door -- snow covered woods, very private.

We did not use the Activity Center but checked it out, and it appeared to be clean and ready for use in the pool, tennis courts, racquetball court, and game room.

It was (another) cold weekend in Wisconsin, but the villa was warm and cozy. The only complaint is that the shower ran out of hot water really fast. Maybe a bigger water heater is needed? Other than that, not a single bad thing to say about this place! I think we were the only people in the building we stayed in, so no idea if it would be as quiet if the resort/building were full, but for us, it was a wonderful, sweet, quiet time away from home.

I think we got an unusually good deal, and we were extremely pleased with our weekend away. We would definitely go back (especially if we managed to find another last minute, off season deal!) and would gladly recommend this resort to friends.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Tamarack & Mirror Lake in the Dells is an awesome place to stay sometimes thier rates are cheaper than hotels and lots of space. Especially if spending more than a few days you dont feel cramped . My Boyfreind and I went My son and his family stay ed in a hotel but they spent most of thier time at our place during our stay the kids had plenty of room to play . We had a problem with the Thermastat and they gave us a another condo / townhouse right away I Loved IT home away from home : )

Room Tip: The 2 bdr is only a little more but definately worth it if you have a family.