We stayed for a week at Tamarack this August because of a traded timeshare given to us and enjoyed it despite its obvious flaws. If you know anything about the Dells, most of the lodging properties are not branded well known properties and so staying in them are ‘hit or miss’ unless you know them beforehand. Tamarack is no different. It’s another one of those properties with buildings from several different ownership groups and managed under the Festiva banner. (There is a Wyndam building on the property as well).
If you want top class and completely clean spot free accommodations then book a room at the Hilton Garden Inn or the Holiday Inn Express and pay what they charge and be happy with your small cramped and expensive room. If you want to be in a quiet secluded location, don’t want to pay a lot and don’t mind not having 4-star accommodations this place might be your best bet. It has some good things going for it. The two bedroom, two story units are like apartments with plenty of space to unwind and full kitchens so you don’t have to eat out all the time. There is a whole host of activities on site at the resort and plenty to do indoors at either of their two activity centers (including indoor tennis, racquetball, basketball and indoor pools for those rainy days). The outdoor pool is fine and the resort is so widespread that you don’t feel cramped and feel quite safe. The unit we had featured a large master bedroom with king four poster bed and large credenza. It also had a very large Jacuzzi bathtub in the bedroom along with a wash basin. Also upstairs was the 2nd bedroom (a queen) and a full bathroom with shower. There is a pullout sofa downstairs in the living room so the unit sleeps six. It has another full bath downstairs along with a fully stocked kitchen and plenty of storage. The patio was a nice place to unwind and the scenery backed up to a fully wooded state park was very relaxing. Now the drawbacks. It IS old and some of the units look dated and frumpy. Some of the furnishings are older. The grills in the backyard are small and require charcoal. Ours was so tilted downward that it was unusable. The ‘lake’ wasn’t much of a fishing draw but there is plenty of other opportunities nearby. And it is not in the midst of the Dells nightlife, so you have to drive everywhere. But the Dells is such a compact location that this location is just minutes from everything. While there are negatives that many reviewers will downgrade this property on, I think it is worth recommending based on the value, the location and the spaciousness. Yes the WiFi wasn’t great but it was free and it did work slowly. The location next to a major forested state park means you have to be prepared for bugs and other critters to be around and some people also don’t like that. Tamarack doesn’t get my top recommendation but I still think you should seriously consider it if you are looking for value, location and space.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located halfway between Chicago and Minneapolis, Wisconsin Dells is the ideal spot for your next wet and wild family adventure. With water and amusement parks and shows and attractions galore, there's plenty to love about this destination, and Mirror Lake and Tamarack Resort is just minutes from it all. Five different condo-style layouts all feature full kitchens, fireplaces and space for the whole family. Onsite amenities include indoor and outdoor pools, sports courts, a pond, game room, and fitness facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Tamarack & Mirror Lake, a Festiva Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarack & Mirror Lake, a Festiva Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Tamarack And Mirror Lake, a Festiva Resort
- Fairfield Wisconsin Dells